Which would you prefer to be able to do

• 300 yard drive

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • Hole every putt inside 6ft

Votes: 47 63.5%

• Total voters
D

Deleted Member 1156

Which would you prefer......being able to hit a 300 yard drive or holing every putt inside 6ft?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Being able to smash it 300 would mean i could naturally nut every other club.

Happy days. Ill work on my putting. :)

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I chose holing everything inside 6ft because I know I'd still tonk it 299 off the tee every time 😋.
In all seriousness I played the New course at St Andrews last Friday and duffed my drive 340 off the 10th tee. I smacked the ground just before the ball. When we reached my ball we were scratching our heads. No idea what happened. I think a seagull tried to eat it, flew away, realised it couldn't digest it and pooed it out 100 yards down the fairway. Only explanation.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I chose holing everything inside 6ft because I know I'd still tonk it 299 off the tee every time 😋.
In all seriousness I played the New course at St Andrews last Friday and duffed my drive 340 off the 10th tee. I smacked the ground just before the ball. When we reached my ball we were scratching our heads. No idea what happened. I think a seagull tried to eat it, flew away, realised it couldn't digest it and pooed it out 100 yards down the fairway. Only explanation.
Sorry missed the important bit. I missed the 6ft birdie putt...

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Assuming that the drive was straight I'd take that all day long.
I have never struggled with my putting but my driving is a different story!

If driving is just as awol as it currently is, just further off line...then I'd take the putting all day long.

For the record, I voted to smack it 300 yards!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll join the 300 please. Would reduce most par 4s to a wedge or at worst a short iron and bring all the 5s into range in 2. Even if I missed a few inside 6 feet per round I reckon that would be more beneficial.

You could test it though. GPS 300 yards on your course. Go play a practice round with 2 balls. One you play off the tee and every time you get to 6 feet, pick up. The other you drop at 300 and hole out.

D

Deleted member 1147

:unsure: I've gone for the putting option, as it'll save me loads of shots over the season...and being on this forum already guarantees me >300yd drives anyway ;)(y)

D

Deleted member 1147

I'll join the 300 please. Would reduce most par 4s to a wedge or at worst a short iron and bring all the 5s into range in 2. Even if I missed a few inside 6 feet per round I reckon that would be more beneficial.

You could test it though. GPS 300 yards on your course. Go play a practice round with 2 balls. One you play off the tee and every time you get to 6 feet, pick up. The other you drop at 300 and hole out.

Drop it where?

He didn't state that it would be in the middle of the fairway!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Drop it where?

He didn't state that it would be in the middle of the fairway!

True, but I'll wager plenty of us can make the ball travel 300 yards, it's just the first 200 is in a banana shape and the last 100 of it is scurrying into the neighbouring field :)

I assumed he meant a decent "at least semi-rough if not fairway" 300 on the basis that a wild card-killer is nothing anyone wants (let alone over holing out from 6 feet every time, which is practically a superpower).

Wolf

Visit site
300yds off the tee please, always been a pretty decent putter. But extra yards would reduce approach shot distance and give me more chance at Par 5.

D

Deleted member 1147

This is actually a very good idea - I think the end result of such an experiment could be quite interesting.

Maybe one for GM to do an article on?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is actually a very good idea - I think the end result of such an experiment could be quite interesting.

Maybe one for GM to do an article on?
It might be interesting, but also not of any great benefit to the golfer since it's all purely hypothetical. But yeah, might be a fun article I suppose to see which saves the most shots.