Which would you prefer to be able to do

• 300 yard drive

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • Hole every putt inside 6ft

Votes: 47 63.5%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 1147

It might be interesting, but also not of any great benefit to the golfer since it's all purely hypothetical. But yeah, might be a fun article I suppose to see which saves the most shots.

It might encourage people to practice the part of their game which needs more work

Wolf

Visit site
It might encourage people to practice the part of their game which needs more work
Was listening to a podcast last night (golf talk America) and they mentioned some US college did a study few years ago where amateurs could gain most strokes back per round if they had a tour pro playing one part of the game for them.

The choice was Pro putts for you or drives for you.. they found amateur scores would be lower using the Pro length off the tee rather than their short games. Simply because It offered more chances to hit greens from shorter distances.
Just need to find the publisher paper on it now to give it a read.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I just mean, if I found out that hitting it 300 yards is more useful than holing every putt, that wouldn't be very beneficial to me when I can only hit it 245 yards at best. :LOL: I don't think I could practise hitting it an extra 60 yards.

D

Deleted member 1147

Yeah, I just mean, if I found out that hitting it 300 yards is more useful than holing every putt, that wouldn't be very beneficial to me when I can only hit it 245 yards at best. :LOL: I don't think I could practise hitting it an extra 60 yards.
Replace hitting it 300yds with hitting hitting it straight on your average distance.

For me I reckon I'd benefit from the putting, as my long game is good, but I putt like a newcomer to the game (ask B-I-M, Junior & Duffers - who I played with at West Hill)!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would the 300 yard drive always be on the fairway?? I’d probably still take the putting
I don’t need to hit it 300yards off the tee where I play most of my golf. But the 6 foot thing would come in useful

D

Deleted member 21258

Who cares about scores really, distance is were the adrenalin buzz is at. 300 yards for me Mr D4S

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Drop it where?

He didn't state that it would be in the middle of the fairway!

Gordon also didn’t say every drive 300 yards either,so putting from 6ft for me.
If it was 300 yards every time that would be no good if the hole was only 220.
Not a well thought out question :)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would take the 300 yard drive. I reckon I lose more shots to poor driving than I do to poor putting.

D

Deleted Member 1156

On a tour to Cornwall a mate of mine hit a 300 yard drive on a 400 yard hole. Unfortunately, it hit the marker stone on the tee and flew back over his head and ran all the way back down the fairway of the previous hole.

So sometimes a 300 yard drive can leave you 700 yards from the green :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 1418

Hole every putt inside 6ft; I hit it far enough more or less every time off the tee!!!😀

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On a tour to Cornwall a mate of mine hit a 300 yard drive on a 400 yard hole. Unfortunately, it hit the marker stone on the tee and flew back over his head and ran all the way back down the fairway of the previous hole.

So sometimes a 300 yard drive can leave you 700 yards from the green :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have seen that happen also, hellish funny. The ball ran down a big slope

I also witnessed a fellow society member drive off in the opposite direction from the tee to the hole he was actually playing.
He wondered why we were all shouting at him.
It was at the old Laleham GC where many of the holes looked the same so, not too hard to do.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
300 yards for me,my putting is not to bad and I would hole a few from 6ft but if your driving it that far it’s going to make hitting the greens a lot easier.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No contest - hole everything inside 6ft. Can hit 260yds and on fairway or first cut reasonably consistently and my chipping is pretty good, Holing everything under 6ft would knock 2-3 shots off my handicap

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Put all day long. It's where scores are made. Few courses (assuming your playing the right tees where choices are available) need you to be driving that distance to score well.

I'm average around 220 (250 on a perfect drive) and have few problems with almost every course I play re length. I am certain if someone done research on this the putting certainty would reduce scores a lot more than 300 yard drives