Bigger Balls

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Anyone seen or played with bigger balls? Our club have just got some and there’s a notable difference, some of the old boys said that’s the size they used to be.

Was told they are conforming as well.

Mandofred

Visit site
Anyone seen or played with bigger balls? Our club have just got some and there’s a notable difference, some of the old boys said that’s the size they used to be.

Was told they are conforming as well.
I'm not going anywhere near this one......bigger balls....nope....ain't gonna.....

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The ball is currently 1.68" (aka The American Ball). In fact, the ball used to be smaller at 1.62" (aka The British Ball). Changed in the early 70s, I think. You wouldn't think 0.06" makes much difference. but it does. You used to see novelty balls 1.72 or 1.80, but they weren't legal for play.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The ball is currently 1.68" (aka The American Ball). In fact, the ball used to be smaller at 1.62" (aka The British Ball). Changed in the early 70s, I think. You wouldn't think 0.06" makes much difference. but it does. You used to see novelty balls 1.72 or 1.80, but they weren't legal for play.

As said on the other thread there is no limit to size only weight.

The Topflite magna was 1.72 as is the supersoft magna which starts the other thread

The Lynx Jumbo was 1.80 and the Jumbo JNR 1.74

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This is them. I found one in the summer. Crazy to look at next to the putter.
https://www.snaintongolf.co.uk/ca64...hoqx0bqfhDoHMLGoH3BgIC0qUfLBwJrBoCdqwQAvD_BwE

There's a really sneaky bit of wording in there when it comes to them being longer.

I quote: "The Supersoft Magna is built using the same technology as the Supersoft ball which is an incredibly soft golf ball meaning it is much more forgiving helping you hit higher, longer and straighter golf shots throughout the bag."

So they don't actually say what the characteristics of the Magna are, just imply that they'll be the same as the Supersoft. In actual fact a larger ball that weighs the same (1.62 oz) won't go as far as the 1.68" ball, and it will be more affected by spin.

This bit is a load of rowlocks too "As it is an oversized ball it also means that you will hit it closer to the middle of the clubface resulting in more consistent strikes on the clubface."

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I guess if you're used to tennis ? you get in the mindset of whacking the first one you see ?

Easy done at golf too, as Liverpoolphil will confirm. But if you're going to be gobby when walking directly behind someone holding his driver handle at you groin level ????!!