Best Welcome in Golf

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

As someone who thinks a warm or great welcome at a golf course(first contact to leaving the premises), adds to the experience of playing a golf course and encourages me to return to such a course. Maybe I should be judging courses just on the golf course but experience is also a big factor in the day for me.

What courses have given you the best or most warm welcome ? (will add them to my list to play;))

I think the best I have come across is Sandiway. Everyone we spoke to from the pro shop, to clubhouse to members and even the visitors from Cavendish who teed off behind us were really friendly, helpful and took time out.

Close second is Ganton, then third would be Bamburgh in Northumberland & Burnham-on-Crouch in Essex.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
First would be Holyte in Sussex played in their Senior open a few times, love going there probably the friendliest club I’ve been to, also has my favorite par 3, next would be Tenterden in Kent also play in their senior open always a warm welcome. Strangely two clubs I’ve never heard mention on hear.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pannal in N.Yorks. Played it twice and been heartily welcomed both times. Members went out of their way both on the course and afterwards to ask if we were enjoying ourselves / had enjoyed ourselves. The first time the club captain was hanging bunting in the dining room, came down from his ladder just to have a chat. Cracking course, lovely people. Recommended.

On a different level, Turnberry. At every level people went out of their way to make the day special. Yes it may be expected but they delivered in spades.

D

Deleted member 15344

Littlestone - me , BiM , ChrisD and Rich played there 4 years ago on a Sunday , the welcome was superb from all but even better was after , the club captain who was having his Captains Lunch came over gave us a tray of his food and sat chatting with us forgetting his guests. Me and Rich also went back for an Open and played in a fourball with him and his wife because the pair that were supposed to play with us pulled out.

Also the Pro at RCP is brilliant - really friendly and welcoming.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Plenty of warm welcomes at many golf courses but two that stand out for different reasons for me have been Cruden Bay where they looked after my non-playing wife exceptionally well and Castle Stuart where they get the customer service tone just right.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Machrihanish Dunes. Lorna and Peter are absolute legends and truly amazing wonderful people.

It also has 18 holes in case someone who has already been mentioned in this thread is looking in. :censored:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good thread - there's a number of clubs I feel some loyalty too based largely upon the warm welcome received.

Burnham is right up there (though I've heard mixed reports from others) and has become an annual trip due in part to the welcome received first time round.

Locally, some of the smaller clubs in the north of Staffordshire offer a very warm welcome, despite (or maybe because?) they're not exactly top 100 courses - Burslem and The Manor spring to mind. Played initially in societies and have since been back with others.

Another that sticks in my mind is Looe. Played on holiday with my son who was 8 or 9 and unbeknown to us the owner was in the group behind. After the round he introduced himself and offered my son free golf for the rest of our holiday. Unfortunately we only had a few days left (and had run out of credits with 'er indoors!) but will defintely return next time we're down that way.

Likewise there's plenty of courses I wouldn't rush back to having found them unwelcoming - some in the top 100.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good thread - there's a number of clubs I feel some loyalty too based largely upon the warm welcome received.

Burnham is right up there (though I've heard mixed reports from others) and has become an annual trip due in part to the welcome received first time round.

Locally, some of the smaller clubs in the north of Staffordshire offer a very warm welcome, despite (or maybe because?) they're not exactly top 100 courses - Burslem and The Manor spring to mind. Played initially in societies and have since been back with others.

Another that sticks in my mind is Looe. Played on holiday with my son who was 8 or 9 and unbeknown to us the owner was in the group behind. After the round he introduced himself and offered my son free golf for the rest of our holiday. Unfortunately we only had a few days left (and had run out of credits with 'er indoors!) but will defintely return next time we're down that way.

Likewise there's plenty of courses I wouldn't rush back to having found them unwelcoming - some in the top 100.

Agree with my Bro, RLBurnside, that Holtye in Sussex is a very friendly club and the food is delicious!

My favourite is Cottesmore Golf Club, also in Sussex. Probably most friendliest and welcoming I've been to.
I played their Seniors Open this year and considering they had recently suffered a devastating fire at the Clubhouse they still put on a great event.
At the presentation the club Captain in his speech mentioned that the first meeting after the fire they said shall we cancel the Open now. But all agreed that despite the fire the "Show will go on", as they say.
Well I can only congratulate them as it was the best I've been to and really hope the club recovers and gets back to the golf club it deserves to be.

Wolf

Visit site
Canterbury every time I've been always had a warm welcome by members and staff alike, was up there last month for work didn't get chance to play but got offered complimentary coffee and a chance to play but sadly I had some work bits to do.

Maesdu in Llandudno North Wales, lovely golf course, lovely people was only me and my dad there as a 2 ball yet went out of their way to ensure we had an enjoyable day, pro gave us complimentary course planners tips for certain holes and came and had a coffee with us afterwards.

RCP, Played the Royal Engineers tournament down there few years back, sensational place to play golf, course is one of my favorites and the welcome was simply awesome, set out range balls for us, gave us a starter that announced us and our regiment on the tee, dinner was great, members all engaging with us ans were the staff. They didn't ask for a single penny from us for the rounds or anything yet they put on a fully presentation spread for us as well, simply cannot speak highly enough of them down there.

There are far many more though that stand out for the wrong reasons but perhaps thats another thread entirely..

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Northamptonshire County.

Overall the best "delivery" of a golf club I've played for some time. Everyone was really pleasant. We where only a group of 4 so not a huge income for them either.

you must have been the exception there, would have it as one of the coldest when played it, even colder the email from the secretary afterwards!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Archerfield and Southerness are both excellent. Have to give a shout out to my home course - Royal St Bedlingtonshire!
I'm chuckling to myself about your home club. It took me three goes before it clicked :rolleyes:. I'm only 15 minutes away but still yet to play it. I'll have to experience that warm welcome next year.