Best time of day to play in Portugal?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
3 of us are off on our first golf trip to The Algarve later this week.

Really looking forward to it, but am concerned at the constant talk of really slow play when I read reviews of the courses we are playing (Gramacho, Vale Da Pinta and Silves). Lots of complaints about 5 and even 6 hours for a round, and long queues on a lot of holes.

We booked a package with Golfbreaks, and our tee times are 13.45, 12.45 and 12.30. The weather looks ok for those times, hot but not unbearable (24-27 degrees forecast), so don't mind playing at those times, but am looking for some advice on the best time of day to play to avoid the worst of the crowds?

(Have already had to change the tee time for the first day due to change of flight time, and that was straightforward, so am hoping it will be equally straightforward to change the others.)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just go and enjoy it. The times will be what they will be. You could go off early and find you're behind slow players, and you could go off at midday or 3pm and find the same. The courses themselves don't always lend themselves to 4 hour rounds, e.g. long walks between greens and tees or buggy tracks that you have to stick to.

You're more likely to have trouble with the sun than with slow play. Cream up and drink plenty.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have played those courses many many times and there is nothing you can do to avoid a slow round. Lots of tourists play these courses as they part of the same company. TBH you are on OK times as its busier in the mornings.

Accept now you are going to around 5 hours on average. Rarely longer, but equally so rarely much quicker. Fastest round I had was 4.5 but those times are in the peak 10-11am slots. Adjust now mentally so it does not ruin your trip

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Me and friends have to go through a mental conditioning program to prepare for Portugal, we found yoga, meditation and deep breathing exercises a week before help.

Take plenty of water and sit in your buggy while waiting is all you can do. Just expect it.

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Late afternoon you should be fine whizz round in 4 hours. I’m currently at Gramacho going back Saturday. Are you carrying or trolley. If you want a lekkie trolley you can hire some from Gary at the Golf Shack on n125 for around 30 euros for a week. If you want a buggy I may be able to wangle a discount at the golf courses. Also if you want a pointer in the direction of decent restaurants, bars (drinks and titty) let me know. Sprogs will be back at school so you’ll have a great time although not so many yummy mummies around!!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Late afternoon you should be fine whizz round in 4 hours. I’m currently at Gramacho going back Saturday. Are you carrying or trolley. If you want a lekkie trolley you can hire some from Gary at the Golf Shack on n125 for around 30 euros for a week. If you want a buggy I may be able to wangle a discount at the golf courses. Also if you want a pointer in the direction of decent restaurants, bars (drinks and titty) let me know. Sprogs will be back at school so you’ll have a great time although not so many yummy mummies around!!

Cheers Del, there are 3 of us, so will probably do 1 buggy and 1 electric trolley if that's significantly cheaper than 2 buggies. What sort of discount can you get on the buggies?

Any tips re nightlife would be much appreciated. We are also staying at Gramacho but but will be looking for somewhere a bit livelier than the clubhouse!

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
the buggy mate just increases the frustration of slow play and i wouldn't want to be the single walking on his own. For the sake of company and decency I would encourage you all to get trolleys and walk......this helps with pace of play and with general enjoyment as a threesome

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
the buggy mate just increases the frustration of slow play and i wouldn't want to be the single walking on his own. For the sake of company and decency I would encourage you all to get trolleys and walk......this helps with pace of play and with general enjoyment as a threesome

sounds reasonable, thanks for the advice

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Buggy I can get for 35 Euros each round. Electric Trolley will be 35 euros for a weeks hire. You can get these from www.golfshack.eu You may have to pick them up from Gary as he can’t always deliver them to the course (not sure if you have a car if you want a car go to yorcar cheapest in the Algarve. Pick up drop off straight from Faro airport cost for a VW up around 80 euros for a week). Or if you need trollies delivered to you go to Roger at www.rentagolftrolleyalgarve.com he will deliver and collect the trollies probably be a couple of euros dearer than Gary.

Restaurants fish rei das praias on Caneiros beach. About 7 min drive from Gramacho Clubhouse. Louis also has a rooftop bar at the restaurant and usually has something going on most weekends which brings the totty in.

Meat restaurant fim do mundo in Ferragudo. Massive portions just like the owner Jo. About 5 mins from Gramacho. Ferragudo itself has a number of other restaurants and bar in the town sq which are good as well. Titty bar in Ferragudo is Lunatic. Usually no entry fee but the doris’ are hit and miss.

Carvoiero is around 10 mins from Gramacho. Loads of restaurants and bar there in and around the beach. Titty bar there is Glamour. 10 euros entry with half decent doris’.

Uber is readily available and from Gramacho to Carvoiero will cost around 10 euros.

BIgger nightclubs are in Albufeira which is around 20 mins away

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
As it's Algarve... anyone know much about the courses west of Alvor... got some games lined up at Palmares, but not played west of there. Recommendations appreciated!

Not quite west of Alvot but about 10 mins from Alvor is Penina which is good and Morgado has two half decent courses.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Yes, stay at Penina quite often, but havent played Morgado... thought about there or Boavista.

Re the post above... O Patio in Carvoiero used to be excellent, but its a few years since I was there. (Right down nearly on the beach) and there was a streak house half way up the holl on left hand side ... I wonder if thats still there!

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, stay at Penina quite often, but havent played Morgado... thought about there or Boavista.

Re the post above... O Patio in Carvoiero used to be excellent, but its a few years since I was there. (Right down nearly on the beach) and there was a streak house half way up the holl on left hand side ... I wonder if thats still there!
Good shout for O Patio. Re the steak house on restaurant hill was it the wolf you are thinking of

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Okay, I am going to ask the question. "Titty bar there is Glamour". What are you describing? Is it a strip club or a bar that just has lots of attractive women going to it? I've not heard that before but then I haven't been to The Algarve either.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Buggy I can get for 35 Euros each round. Electric Trolley will be 35 euros for a weeks hire. You can get these from www.golfshack.eu You may have to pick them up from Gary as he can’t always deliver them to the course (not sure if you have a car if you want a car go to yorcar cheapest in the Algarve. Pick up drop off straight from Faro airport cost for a VW up around 80 euros for a week). Or if you need trollies delivered to you go to Roger at www.rentagolftrolleyalgarve.com he will deliver and collect the trollies probably be a couple of euros dearer than Gary.

Restaurants fish rei das praias on Caneiros beach. About 7 min drive from Gramacho Clubhouse. Louis also has a rooftop bar at the restaurant and usually has something going on most weekends which brings the totty in.

Meat restaurant fim do mundo in Ferragudo. Massive portions just like the owner Jo. About 5 mins from Gramacho. Ferragudo itself has a number of other restaurants and bar in the town sq which are good as well. Titty bar in Ferragudo is Lunatic. Usually no entry fee but the doris’ are hit and miss.d

Carvoiero is around 10 mins from Gramacho. Loads of restaurants and bar there in and around the beach. Titty bar there is Glamour. 10 euros entry with half decent doris’.

Uber is readily available and from Gramacho to Carvoiero will cost around 10 euros.

BIgger nightclubs are in Albufeira which is around 20 mins away

Thanks Del. Reckon we will take Jusme's advice and get 3 trollies. Think I read somewhere that push trollies can be rented from the courses for around 5 euro? We've hired a car from Drive4Fun, used them a couple of weeks ago on our family holiday and they were great so happy to use them again.

Thinking of one night out in Ferragudo, and the other 2 in Carvoiero as it sounds a bit bigger. Not sure Titty bars or nightclubs will be on the agenda tho - the other 2 lads are even older than me, karaoke is more their cup of tea :)

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For the sake of 3 rounds I would probably use the pull ones at the course. If your there for a week (which I do every year) then we have a company deliver powered ones to the hotel and pick up. Its worth their time as about 12 are delivered. A few buggy and a few carry. I imagine getting a few delivered for a few days would be expensive enough. You're doing the right thing.

Just relax and enjoy. We pace ourselves on course so not up the back of those in front and waiting on every shot (never loosing ground etc). Round takes the same amount of time but much more enjoyable