Best time of day to play in Portugal?

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks Del. Reckon we will take Jusme's advice and get 3 trollies. Think I read somewhere that push trollies can be rented from the courses for around 5 euro? We've hired a car from Drive4Fun, used them a couple of weeks ago on our family holiday and they were great so happy to use them again.

Thinking of one night out in Ferragudo, and the other 2 in Carvoiero as it sounds a bit bigger. Not sure Titty bars or nightclubs will be on the agenda tho - the other 2 lads are even older than me, karaoke is more their cup of tea :)

Have a good trip plenty of Karaoke in Carvoiero

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got back last night. Cracking break, really enjoyed it.

Turned out my fears about slow play were groundless - we rented pull trolleys, and took 4.5 hours on Vale da Pinta and Gramacho, and 4 hours on Silves.

Of the courses we played, Silves was by far the best. A really nice course in top condition with a few stunning holes. Pretty flat as well which helped.

Vale da Pinta was a well designed course, but let down badly by the greens. They were in a right state. Very hilly course as well, and it was the hottest day of the trip, so pretty knackering.

Gramacho was also very decent, and no problems with the greens which had been a worry given it is right next door to VDP and owned by the same group. Some really nice holes, but a lot of blind shots as well which isn't great when you've never played it before.

Accommodation at Gramacho was very good for what we paid. Nightlife in Carvoeiro was spot on as well, and no, we didn't visit the titty bar!

All in all, a great trip, looking forward to next year's already :)

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Flying out on Wednesday. Got O'Connor and Quinta da Lago North on Thursday and Friday, and then Pinta and Silves on Monday and Tuesday. Pity about the Pinta greens, but still can't wait. 18th year on the trot. Highlight of my golfing year :)

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Got back last night. Cracking break, really enjoyed it.

Turned out my fears about slow play were groundless - we rented pull trolleys, and took 4.5 hours on Vale da Pinta and Gramacho, and 4 hours on Silves.

Of the courses we played, Silves was by far the best. A really nice course in top condition with a few stunning holes. Pretty flat as well which helped.

Vale da Pinta was a well designed course, but let down badly by the greens. They were in a right state. Very hilly course as well, and it was the hottest day of the trip, so pretty knackering.

Gramacho was also very decent, and no problems with the greens which had been a worry given it is right next door to VDP and owned by the same group. Some really nice holes, but a lot of blind shots as well which isn't great when you've never played it before.

Accommodation at Gramacho was very good for what we paid. Nightlife in Carvoeiro was spot on as well, and no, we didn't visit the titty bar!

All in all, a great trip, looking forward to next year's already :)
Glad you had a great trip wouldn’t call Silves flat though their are some massive drops and climbs on that course

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Flying out on Wednesday. Got O'Connor and Quinta da Lago North on Thursday and Friday, and then Pinta and Silves on Monday and Tuesday. Pity about the Pinta greens, but still can't wait. 18th year on the trot. Highlight of my golfing year :)
QDL is in great nick

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Where are you playing

Staying in an apartment at Foz da Ria for the first week, (next to Palmares) where some friends live, they are members at Palmares, os will play there with them, will also go and play somewhere else that I've not played before (Boavista, Morgado??) Which of those two would folk suggest.. (played all the others along there)

Week two, staying at a hotel in Quinta do Lago, playing Laranjal, North and South... which is what we do most years. Might play one more depending on how we feel.