Best Player never to win a Major debate

D

Deleted member 15344

For me it comes down to three players

Westwood - world number one at one stage , multiple times runner up or in the final group , should have got one in 08 or at least got into the final group - could still grab one

Monty - clear European number one for years but lost in a couple of playoffs at his peak and blew the US open when he just needed to par the last ( but he has won a few senior majors now ? )

And the outsider - Donald - another who got to world number one and at one stage was head and shoulders above anyone

Notable mentions for Casey , Stricker and Fowler but I don’t see those as being at the level of the other three mentioned

For me the answer is Westwood - maybe a tad unlucky being at the top during the Woods then Mickleson years but I bet he wishes he could take back that second shot in 08

peld

Visit site
Monty for me
and agree with the previous comment about fowler. Great player and all but don’t get the admiration and very average over last few years.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Monty for me.

More second places, more wins and had imo the best chance to actually win one, not just get into a playoff. Prefer Westwood though.

D

Deleted member 1740

Luke Donald and Paul Casey are 2golfers who spring to mind.

I've always had a soft spot for Donald, he's got a great fluid swing but just seems to lack that mental strength. He comes across as a great guy.

Casey is frustrating. Definitely got the game but always throws that mad round in across 4 rounds that dents his chances.

D

Deleted member 1740

That's one hell of an exaggeration...

Sure, he reached top spot, but head and shoulders above everyone?

At the time he was #1 his ball striking was immense, not massively long off the tee but rarely in trouble. Putting and short game as good as any imo.

I wouldn’t say he was head and shoulders, more a Timotei ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Monty. 8 times European Order of Merit winner, 7 of those on the bounce. Did his fiery nature hold him back from that breakthrough? I'd say no. To win as many times as he did on the European Tour takes bottle, and he had it in bucket loads. When you look at the number of 2nd places in Majors, someone else just played better on each occasion.

peld

Visit site
Monty was slightly unlucky as he was up against peak Tiger for a good few years when Tiger was untouchable.

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Monty was slightly unlucky as he was up against peak Tiger for a good few years when Tiger was untouchable.
If Tiger had been a member of the European tour Monty would only have won 7 order of merits, only 7? Woods 41 titles put him in third place in the all time European tour winners circle remarkable.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Luke Donald and Paul Casey are 2golfers who spring to mind.

I've always had a soft spot for Donald, he's got a great fluid swing but just seems to lack that mental strength. He comes across as a great guy.

Casey is frustrating. Definitely got the game but always throws that mad round in across 4 rounds that dents his chances.

Both just didn't quite have it at the top table when push came to shove, both in brackets below Monty and Westwood.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Actually another name that's not been mentioned has to be in with a shout, sadly just passed away -

George Douglas Sanders. 4 X major runner up.

D

Deleted member 15344

There is no debate who was better when it comes to Monty or Westy.

Monty wipes the floor.

Of course there is a debate - and far from “wipes” the floor with him.

Monty couldn’t win in the US and spent his whole career pretty much on the European tour yet only managed 6 more comp wins than Westwood who also won the PGA tour twice. Westwoods career peak was at the same time as a certain Woods

When it comes down to it the difference will be down to personal preference- but their records are very close

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Of course there is a debate - and far from “wipes” the floor with him.

Monty couldn’t win in the US and spent his whole career pretty much on the European tour yet only managed 6 more comp wins than Westwood who also won the PGA tour twice. Westwoods career peak was at the same time as a certain Woods

When it comes down to it the difference will be down to personal preference- but their records are very close

No point in debating with you you'll just throw in the racist card again.

D

Deleted member 15344

No point in debating with you you'll just throw in the racist card again.
Sorry but what ?! Racist card ? You will have to explain that quite clearly if you don’t mind ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Different time. Monty never had a decent "go" at the PGA tour. It wasn't quite as it is now and the lifestyle didn't really suit him so he'd play the majors and one or two events round them. I don't doubt he'd have been a multiple PGA tour and major winner if he'd committed more to playing in the states.

Tend to agree with @Jacko_G on this one.
Potentially yes he would have and it was a different time but even Westwood won in the US before he joined the tour but as I said it’s a close call and it will down to personal preference - both outstanding players in their own right , amazing Ryder Cup records - both all over the world just fell really short when it comes to the majors. They both deserved to win a major and it annoys a little that people like Hamilton and Curtis win a one off but I doubt either has any regrets - both had great chances over their career.