Best Ping Irons Ever (apart from the ping eye 2)

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Does anyone use the G30 irons. I think they are way overpriced when the G25 are relatively the same irons for a lot less.

I got my G30s at 69 notes each a club from my local pro. I think one thing you have to consider is that it is more difficult to get fitted for clubs that are not the latest range, so if you are buying older ranges then you are more likely yo have to buy what they have.

Also you could make that argument for pretty much any new iron really compared to the one it replaces. And I would argue when you buy a new club from the latest range you are paying a premium for the club being the latest and greatest and it being the most forgiving, hitting it the furthest in that manufacturers range, or whatever they are claiming. Not because it is x amount of pounds better than the last version when you compare the cost of the new range with cost the ones it has replaced, once the new range goes on sale. As new ones generally are not.

Which is one reason why I like Pings as the replacement cycle is longer than other manufacturers, so I feel more happy about paying that premium. If you have G25s then there's no point upgrading to G30s. if you are in the market for new iron then it depends on if you want a full custom fitting or need to have the latest and greatest. If not then G25s will be more than adequate.

Last edited:

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recently acquired a set of G5 irons. I'd hit a mate's G20s at the range and been impressed by how easy they were to get out there (and up there). Being a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to golf equipment, I did a bit of research and decided that G5s would probably be just as good and picked some up off the bay for £90.

I have been REALLY impressed by them in the 6 weeks since I've had them. Nice long, high, predictable flight. Perhaps the lack of the most recent 'hot face' technology makes the strike more predictable, even if the distance is not so freakish.

The most surprising thing to me is that even though they are enormous, with about 6 inches of offset, I have chipped around the green with them as well as with any other more bladey clubs I've used in the past. They are also not packed with multicoloured bits and bobs in the cavity, looking quite discreet in grey/blue.

One of the comparison vids I used when poking about is here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2NBMnszhxk , but there were a couple of others about as well.

Just turned 50 last year, so obviously it was an accident waiting to happen.

There's probably not a lot of change in the head of the club, but when I moved from G10 to G20 I noticed a distinct 'feel' difference in the swing which I would attribute to the shafts. The CFS shaft is lighter than the old AWT which may give a bit more swing speed / yardage. I'd agree that the head performance is probably very similar across the entire 'G' range, not forgetting the Rapture V2 either.