Best PARKLAND courses

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

OK, on the back of iMak's thread, couple of comments about people not liking links courses. Fair enough, each to their own taste, I don't have any issues with that.

So, what are the best PARKLAND courses these islands have to offer? No links or heathland tracks please.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
In the words of a former Open Champion, my golf course is "one of the finest inland courses in Scotland" if it's good enough for him...

Downfield GC btw.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately I haven't played the big names; Wentworth, Sunningdale etc but I'm sure people will be around to put them forward.

St Mellion Nicklause Course is brilliant track in my mind, very tough, beautiful surroundings and no one hole is the same as another so hard to ever get bored with it

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
there arent many that dont cross the boundaries of heathland...

St Mellion
Wentworth West
The Grove
Woburn Marquis
Bearwood Lakes

I'm a big fan of all of these to be honest

D

Deleted member 15344

Woburn must be up there - Bearwood Lakes for me is the best Parkland I have played

Little Aston
London Club
Hadley Wood

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Loch Lomond ,played it twice and its superb

Yes, would go back in a heartbeat.

Other obvious ones I've played are the courses at Sunningdale and Gleneagles.

Less obvious contenders.... Mar Hall, Newmacher

Interesting question, we seem better served for great links courses than great parkland ones. Or is that just a reflection of courses I've chosen to go and play?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Woburn must be up there - Bearwood Lakes for me is the best Parkland I have played

Little Aston
London Club
Hadley Wood

I would say Little Aston is Heathland?

would you say Dukes, Duchess @ Woburn were parkland? i wasnt sure. wasnt even sure if marquess qualified?

D

Deleted member 15344

I would say Little Aston is Heathland?

would you say Dukes, Duchess @ Woburn were parkland? i wasnt sure. wasnt even sure if marquess qualified?

Yeah all the courses at Woburn are Parkland for me - Marquess certainly is

Hadley Wood is better than Marquess for me - also enjoy West Surrey - does pretty well as a Parkland in a dream area for Heathland

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK, on the back of iMak's thread, couple of comments about people not liking links courses. Fair enough, each to their own taste, I don't have any issues with that.

So, what are the best PARKLAND courses these islands have to offer? No links or heathland tracks please.
What's the difference?? As in, what's the definition of parkland, links and heathland in this context?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah all the courses at Woburn are Parkland for me - Marquess certainly is

Hadley Wood is better than Marquess for me - also enjoy West Surrey - does pretty well as a Parkland in a dream area for Heathland

i'll have to have a look at Hadley Wood then!!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
What's the difference?? As in, what's the definition of parkland, links and heathland in this context?

I’ll have a stab. Links, on non arable land by the sea, sand based. Heathland, also sand based, loads of Heather. Both of these won’t be really suitable for farmland.
Parkland, arable land, also suitable for farmland, which is what most of them maybe better off being ;)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

Links courses are the oldest type of golf course and the ones you will see at the Open. They are usually on the land between farming and the sea. The land is very sandy (unbsuitable for farming) so was cheap land when golf courses were first built. They often have dunes that shape the holes but are generally very open and prone to the weather.

Parkland courses are your green well treed courses in the countryside. Augusta National or Wentworth are famous parkland courses.

Heathland as the name suggests are golf course built on heathlands, which are sandy soil areas that you will normally find heathers and gorses. They are almost a mixture between links and parkland, not as open or brown as links but not as green and closed as parklands.

Each type has it's own characteristics and ways of playing, links golf usually has a lot of chip/pitch and runs whereas parklands will see more attacking the pin with the flight of the ball

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not the biggest fan of parkland courses in the world but that is one I would like to play :thup:

I'm the same i'd rather play links but Loch Lomond is the best I've played, haven't played any of the Gleneagles courses yet so that would maybe change my mind