Best Hole

4LEX

Visit site
I love the par 3, 5th on the New Course at Sunningdale.
Par 4, 4th at Royal St Georges.
Par 5, 14th at Old Course St Andrews.

Not necessarily the prettiest holes, well Sunningdale one is not bad:whistle:but great design, and if you come off with a par you have done well.

The 5th at Sunningdale New is a birdie hole! Off the Yellow or whites anyway ;) I actually think the run of holes from 4 to 6 at Sunningdale New is the best run of holes in the country. All different pars, stunning and if you play well you can make a good score. Play badly and it's round over.

The Fader

Visit site
Difficult to pick out a single hole.

In terms of a run - the 10th, 11th and 12th on the Nicklause course at St. Mellion take some beating.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I really like the 2nd at Manor House , Castle Combe, lovely par 3, and a beautiful holeView attachment 29186
I walked over that land with the owner and a guy who wanted to build two golf courses on it in the early 1990's.
It was a stunning proposition, you could see some awesome 'natural' golf holes but the overall landscape would have been a bit challenging.
Location was a bit rural, and there were quite a few new courses being built in the area at the time so we did not progress.

My favourite hole for some reason is the 17th at Sunningdale Old.
Most challenging 13 the Muirfield.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 5th at Sunningdale New is a birdie hole! Off the Yellow or whites anyway ;) I actually think the run of holes from 4 to 6 at Sunningdale New is the best run of holes in the country. All different pars, stunning and if you play well you can make a good score. Play badly and it's round over.

you could even say 4-12

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There's a few but so far my stand out has to be the 9th at the Castle Course St Andrews.

Gorgeous hole that drops away all the way down to the green, backdrop of St Andrews & the coastline with all the famous courses - first day our golf tour last year and I think I was a bit giddy at the thought of playing there as well (its either that or the whisky)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
There's a few but so far my stand out has to be the 9th at the Castle Course St Andrews.

Gorgeous hole that drops away all the way down to the green, backdrop of St Andrews & the coastline with all the famous courses - first day our golf tour last year and I think I was a bit giddy at the thought of playing there as well (its either that or the whisky)

Would argue that the 17th is a better hole. Great par 3, also thought the 16th was a better golf hole than 9.

Shows how opinions differ.

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would argue that the 17th is a better hole. Great par 3, also thought the 16th was a better golf hole than 9.

Shows how opinions differ.

You could be 100% right on the holes mentioned being the better golf holes. Truth is it was my first day in St Andrews for the first time and that feeling when we headed down to the Castle clubhouse was something special. Plus I played that hole exactly how I wanted so it really stuck in my mind. The whole day was an awesome experience and it could have been any of the holes that day.
Is the 16th the one over the ravine? Enjoyed that also. 775F99A0-EE84-4317-89F8-D39FC9077E19.jpeg

Last edited:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
partially agree - don't like the drive on 8 but it does have a fantastic greensite, although would prefer a bit more clearance, especially around the right side, so balls could kick off and fall away further. I would raise the tee complex and move a few yards to the right so it is more a slight half moon dog-leg. I do like 7 however - a lovely semi blind tee shot over a crest and the green, while a bit plain compared to some, is a nice opportunity to run a shot in - and you do not get the chance on many other holes. Agree on 9-12 - and 10 is one of the only par 3s as good as 5 and so much better they cleared all the bank on the right - and they are by far the best two par 3s on the property - followed by Old 4 and New 14.

4LEX

Visit site
partially agree - don't like the drive on 8 but it does have a fantastic greensite, although would prefer a bit more clearance, especially around the right side, so balls could kick off and fall away further. I would raise the tee complex and move a few yards to the right so it is more a slight half moon dog-leg. I do like 7 however - a lovely semi blind tee shot over a crest and the green, while a bit plain compared to some, is a nice opportunity to run a shot in - and you do not get the chance on many other holes. Agree on 9-12 - and 10 is one of the only par 3s as good as 5 and so much better they cleared all the bank on the right - and they are by far the best two par 3s on the property - followed by Old 4 and New 14.

Totally agree on the bush to the right of 8 and raising the tees. It's a fantastic hole but I'm judging it with 9 as both are a similar shape but 9 takes your breath away when you hit the top of the hill. You can definitely run one into 7 and it favours a safe tee shot - so many push it right into the heather and get blocked out. All you need is a 220 yard carry and let the slope do the work.

The par 3's are definitely better on the New than the Old. Although 15 Old from far right narrow tee makes it a better hole.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally agree on the bush to the right of 8 and raising the tees. It's a fantastic hole but I'm judging it with 9 as both are a similar shape but 9 takes your breath away when you hit the top of the hill. You can definitely run one into 7 and it favours a safe tee shot - so many push it right into the heather and get blocked out. All you need is a 220 yard carry and let the slope do the work.

The par 3's are definitely better on the New than the Old. Although 15 Old from far right narrow tee makes it a better hole.

Agree on 9 - great hole - although maybe just needs another metre of heather cut away over the hill. I always mess up right on 7 - yet to play a good tee shot. Never played old 15 from the right although picuring it i agree it would be nicer - but still a pretty flat par 3!