Best Hole

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I nearly always played that hole well, harder than the par 3 10th which I always struggled to par, a good friendly club with a varied mixture of holes.

It was going to a 9 hole which I assume you would play twice from different tees but ended up closing completely, shame as I thought it was just right for a good test for my level.

I played a senior open there with my brother and came away with a prize also I had one of my best ever rounds there around 82 I think.

The 11th was my favourite hole there by far! Off the whites in the winter was a tough driving hole for a short hitter like myself. Lost many a ball in the first pond and was well known as a card wrecker by members!
I loved playing there and really miss it. I've joined Brighton and Hove golf club but it's just not the same.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Over the years I'd have to say the 14th at Dewsbury, elevated tee drops down onto a tiered fairway, then down a steep hill to the green. It's a par 4, but if you catch your drive you can almost make the green. If you don't get close to the green, then you have a downhill lie with maybe an 8 iron to a green protected by two bunkers, and a steep slope off thge back of the green - it's a really tough shot. Sometimes better to play to the edge of the top tier of the fairway with a 5 iron, then hit maybe a 7 iron down onto the green.
It's a great hole.

Great views over West Yorkshire off the tee too. This was the first time the boy played it about 18 months back, you can see the tier on the fairway, and the green tucked down in the trees in the bottom left.

Apologies for the effects. :eek:

I like the 17th of the medal tee when you have to hit it over the oak trees. Some good holes at Dewsbury, and how hard is the tee shot on 7?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I like the 17th of the medal tee when you have to hit it over the oak trees. Some good holes at Dewsbury, and how hard is the tee shot on 7?

The 7th can be brutal into a decent wind, and the 13th off the whites is a very difficult hole as well.
As you say, it has some good holes (3rd also makes for a great tee shot with great views, and a chance to set yourself up after a big drive).

Played there many times as a junior and plenty of times as an adult as well. Shame it's so hilly as that sometimes detracts from what is essentially a great parkland / heathland course.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
It looks like such a simple hole but the two tier green on the 9th at Barnsley Golf Club is deceptively tricky. Misjudge your first putt and there is no hope of rescuing par if you roll into the wrong area of the green. Concentration, good chipping and good putting are required!

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Royal St Georges - 239 yard, par 3 3rd hole.
Woburn, Dukes course - 134 yard, par 3 3rd hole.
St Georges Hill, Red course - 179 yard, par 3 8th hole.
Woburn, Marquess course - 481 yard, par 5 2nd hole.
Gog Magog, old course - 446 yard, par 4 16th hole.
Port Stewart, Strand course - 360 yard, par 4 2nd hole.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 7th can be brutal into a decent wind, and the 13th off the whites is a very difficult hole as well.
As you say, it has some good holes (3rd also makes for a great tee shot with great views, and a chance to set yourself up after a big drive).

Played there many times as a junior and plenty of times as an adult as well. Shame it's so hilly as that sometimes detracts from what is essentially a great parkland / heathland course.

Played Dewsbury last May I think - it was on a windy day. Some of the holes were brutal, some nice holes though too especially up at the top.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
3rd at cabapino, near Marbella. Awesome tee shot.

5th at La finca, long par 5 to an island green with stunning views all the way down to the green

16th at Villamartin. Awesome par 3, supposedly one of the best in Spain

D

Deleted member 23270

I wouldn't have a clue where to start but some very good holes put forward already.
I like short tricky par 3's, risk reward par 4's and reachable par 5's.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very hard to pick one, particularly when I have a dreadful memory for individual holes. The one that stands out for me though is the 9th on the Ailsa at Turnberry. I can remember it because it is the Lighthouse hole. For those who don't know it, it is a par 3, hitting over a gap of land, cliffs and sea beneath, and onto a green. The wonderful lighthouse is framed in the hole, you go in after the hole as it is the halfway house. It is the jeopardy of the shot over the sea, the lighthouse in the background, a par 3 (go off the correct tee box for your game) that all adds together.

If you ever want a chuckle and you are playing that course then walk to where the pro's take their tee shots on that hole :eek:o_O

brfcfan

Visit site
Ok, your best and most favourite hole ever.. on any course whether it be a major venue, a municipal, pitch and putt.

Time to nominate the hole which you could play again and again.. the most testing, teasing, challenging, fun hole.. the one hole which really floats your boat.

I'll start.. the 18th at Carnoustie.. the history, difficulty, challenge, and I've never got better than bogie in about 10 attempts :cry:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I love the par 3, 5th on the New Course at Sunningdale.
Par 4, 4th at Royal St Georges.
Par 5, 14th at Old Course St Andrews.

Not necessarily the prettiest holes, well Sunningdale one is not bad:whistle:but great design, and if you come off with a par you have done well.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Played Dewsbury last May I think - it was on a windy day. Some of the holes were brutal, some nice holes though too especially up at the top.

7,9,10,12 and 13 all play into the prevailing wind, and obviously up the top there's no protection from it at all.

The only hole where it benefits you is the eleventh, where I'd normally top my drive as I attempted to launch it high and long on a 30mph tail wind. :confused:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
funnily enough, the 12th at Augusta doesn’t look as good from behind the ropes as there is large flat dead ground in front of the water.... and as you walk out of the woods on the right of 13th, the green looks much smaller than expected. From there it looks much less intimidating than the view you get on tv from behind the player.