Best broadband deals?

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Try Brawband. Note I don't have it myself but if I wasn't tied into Virgin for another 17 months they'd be my first port of call. Not sure they come up on comparison sites. The people I know who have it are generally happy with it.

RichA

Visit site
My LitFibre is 100M download and 75M upload.
The deal I got is a 24 month contract, the first 9 months free then 15 months at £18, so £11.25 per month. Well worth looking for these smaller firms.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Despite everything Virgin at THE BEST for broadband. Just ring them up and get a deal that suits you. We reduced our down to £30 including Tv but next time don't need TV so will be hoping for about £26. They are the best and fastest. Cable wins everytime.
As someone who has (as of now, was :):):)) been with Virgin for years, I beg to differ. They are a bunch of @#@#@#@**@#@# charlatans. Fortunately, in our area, there are now other providers who supply via full fibre - ie no copper involved.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can someone explain how full fibre broadband works when existing incoming cables are just the original normal wires.
Fibre to the cabinet uses the copper pair from the cabinet to your house. This isn’t “full fibre”.

Fibre to the premises required either an overhead cable or new underground one directly from the pole, underground distribution point or cabinet to your house where it is fitted via an outdoor box. This is “full fibre”.

Fibre to the cabinet we got 50-55mbps. Fibre to the premises we get 500mbps at the moment.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having tried all the 4g internet providers the only one who can provide a service is O2. Currently I get between 6 and 12 Mbps on a good day (weather permitting) and costing £35 / month. Last year we had a landline installed after a ten month wait and the best BT can guarantee is 2 Mbps.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Despite everything Virgin at THE BEST for broadband. Just ring them up and get a deal that suits you. We reduced our down to £30 including Tv but next time don't need TV so will be hoping for about £26. They are the best and fastest. Cable wins everytime.
Virgin have just installed cable on our estate. Considering our broadband is currently via aluminium cable, yes really, this is a no brainer. We have been quoted £26 for FTTP, including phone as that will now go the the router. Not a tough decision, the only shame is that the system is virgin's, other companies cannot use it, as I understand.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Having tried all the 4g internet providers the only one who can provide a service is O2. Currently I get between 6 and 12 Mbps on a good day (weather permitting) and costing £35 / month. Last year we had a landline installed after a ten month wait and the best BT can guarantee is 2 Mbps.
When you say O2 is your only choice, is that because that is the only network with coverage in your area?

If that's the reason, you could get a Giffgaff SIM card, they use the O2 network. £20 a month gets you 100GB data allowance, which should be plenty enough unless you watch a lot of streaming TV.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Virgin have just installed cable on our estate. Considering our broadband is currently via aluminium cable, yes really, this is a no brainer. We have been quoted £26 for FTTP, including phone as that will now go the the router. Not a tough decision, the only shame is that the system is virgin's, other companies cannot use it, as I understand.

Virgin are excellent when it works. I had 18 months trouble free with them then 6 months of pure issue. Do much so they let me out the rest of my contract for free

One tech would come say signal too high put dampeners on.. next tech would come and take them off.. signal too weak

Got to the stage of they used next doors cable to decide that it was the cable under my drive that needed replacing and I didn't want them to redig it up again.

When it worked I was paying £99 for sky sports, BT sport's included, top TV, top speed (300mb then) and in 2 rooms the TV .. phone aswell

I was happy to pay that

Since leaving I pay a lot less and won't consider paying same again but whilst it was working just fine I had no issues

Ironically the issues started when I was offered a free speed upgrade from 100mb to 300mb

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My LitFibre is 100M download and 75M upload.
The deal I got is a 24 month contract, the first 9 months free then 15 months at £18, so £11.25 per month. Well worth looking for these smaller firms.
Only if they operate in your neck of the woods

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try Brawband. Note I don't have it myself but if I wasn't tied into Virgin for another 17 months they'd be my first port of call. Not sure they come up on comparison sites. The people I know who have it are generally happy with it.
They have an office only 2 miles from me but oddly it's not available in my postcode

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you say O2 is your only choice, is that because that is the only network with coverage in your area?

If that's the reason, you could get a Giffgaff SIM card, they use the O2 network. £20 a month gets you 100GB data allowance, which should be plenty enough unless you watch a lot of streaming TV.
I have tried the main High Street suppliers such as EE, Vodafone, 3 and O2, all of whom supplied a sim card and router but only O2 was successful. I had to buy an upgraded router and external antenna before I could get a half decent signal which on average is between 6 and 12 Mbps but will drop off when the weather is bad or there is high demand on the 4g signal. There is no way I could stream TV as it constantly buffers and takes forever to download.
I have never considered a sim only deal as I thought it was only for mobile phone calls.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I have tried the main High Street suppliers such as EE, Vodafone, 3 and O2, all of whom supplied a sim card and router but only O2 was successful. I had to buy an upgraded router and external antenna before I could get a half decent signal which on average is between 6 and 12 Mbps but will drop off when the weather is bad or there is high demand on the 4g signal. There is no way I could stream TV as it constantly buffers and takes forever to download.
I have never considered a sim only deal as I thought it was only for mobile phone calls.
Nearly all SIM-only deal these days include unlimited calls and texts, and it's only the data allowance that distinguishes them.
As I said, giffgaff gives you 100GB for £20. I think there are a few others around that give about the same, but if O2 is the only network with a decent signal, that could limit you.

Before FTTP was installed, we got by on a SIM in a TP-Link TL-MR6400 (which costs about £75).
The 4G signal where we live is fairly dependable. Generally got anywhere between 5 and 11Mbps, and rarely experienced any buffering on Netflix - although we don't watch much streaming TV. The WiFi on the TP-Link router was sometimes a bit iffy requiring a reboot, but you can always install a separate decent access point if needed.

Which router did you get?