Late March 2019 - Best of Welsh Coastal Courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

Am thinking about a late March 2019 meet, instead of the normal Woburn trip, was thinking about organising a trip to savour the taste ofthe Best that Wales has to offer of Welsh Coastal Courses. Should work out cheaper than Woburn and not so muddy.

In particular the combination that took my fancy would betwo top 100 golf couses(assuming some deals can be had) and a top 200 course would be :-

RoyalPorthcrawl – Ranked by GM as No 23, held the seniors open and meant to be fanastic

https://www.royalporthcawl.com/

Pennard– Ranked by GM as No 97 and know as the Links in the Sky

http://pennardgolfclub.com/

And possibilySoutherndownGolf Club (top 200 course)if interest

http://www.southerndowngolfclub.com/

Would probably be a Sunday/Monday(with third day beingTuesday at a guess) due to weekend costs/availability but golf should work out cheaper than the Woburn and a good price.

Accommodation could be in the middle of the courses in thebigger town that there is for a curry/hotel or even possibly the dormy at RP.

Just interested due to location, if there is any interest inthis trip before I go and get prices and see if they can do us a deal. No needfor definites just if there is enough interest ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Something to be aware of is at the beginning of March is an Open at Porthcawl - and a few go to that and add on some other courses. Believe the price goes up in March as well so will be surprised if you get three below the price of Woburn

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Something to be aware of is at the beginning of March is an Open at Porthcawl - and a few go to that and add on some other courses. Believe the price goes up in March as well so will be surprised if you get three below the price of Woburn
Porthcawl winter rates run from November to end of March. £70 at the moment which seems like a good rate. I magine for a group may get an even better deal ?

I could be up for this Darren, as only played one course in Wales, St Pierre.

D

Deleted member 21258

All I have done at the moment is to look at Green fees rates and courses in a similar area, in march and from the website :-

Porthcrawl £70.00(would be Monday or Tuesday if we looked at 3 days)
Pennard £35.00(weekend rate)
Machynys does show a rate of £25, Southerndown only appears to show summer rate at £55

In comparison Woburn, who up uplifted their prices for March, 1 day(36 holes with food) end of March is £150. Love the courses but they are parkland and can be muddish in March and tbh I would not look to arrange a meet there in march again, as can already play there by other means in summer, I was just was giving a comparison.:eek:

If say 8 plus people show an interest then will look to push this forward and see what actual prices/options are and hopefully the clubs will include some kind of food at least for the same prices but pass haven't spoke to them as yet.:thup:

D

Deleted member 17920

Darren,

Very interested but can’t do the 30/31 weekend as I have got to to work.

Tom Doak did some work at Pennard last year and rates it very highly.

D

Deleted member 15344

All I have done at the moment is to look at Green fees rates and courses in a similar area, in march and from the website :-

Porthcrawl £70.00(would be Monday or Tuesday if we looked at 3 days)
Pennard £35.00(weekend rate)
Machynys does show a rate of £25, Southerndown only appears to show summer rate at £55

In comparison Woburn, who up uplifted their prices for March, 1 day(36 holes with food) end of March is £150. Love the courses but they are parkland and can be muddish in March and tbh I would not look to arrange a meet there in march again, as can already play there by other means in summer, I was just was giving a comparison.:eek:

If say 8 plus people show an interest then will look to push this forward and see what actual prices/options are and hopefully the clubs will include some kind of food at least for the same prices but pass haven't spoke to them as yet.:thup:

Then I’m certainly Interested 👍

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Couple of other options being Asburnham (superb and ranked 6th best course in Wales and reasonable March rate) and Pyle and Kenfig. P and K next door to RP and highly rated, Pennard,Machynys and Asburnham around 45 mins from RP if that was your base.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Porthcawl do indeed have a dormy house and I think they do a decent deal to stay and play. Machynys is nice but it isn't a links and can get wet in winter. Ashburnham is a good shout, P&K has an average front 9 but very good back 9. Not played Southerndown but heard good things. Have you considered including Tenby which is a bit further west but very good?

D

Deleted member 21258

Thanks D4S, PaddyC and Matty6 for other suggestions, will have a look at those courses and location to Pennard/RP, to see if they work better. Thanks :thup:

I would imagine most will wish to reduce travelling between courses, so need to be bunch fairly close is better?

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pennard is in between Ashburnham and Porthcawl. Mumbles would probably be a good base for people staying over if those courses were the chosen ones!

But there are lots of options for golf in that region. As mentioned, Tenby is a great course too. Not played it myself but lots of people rave about it.

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Would be up for this Darren. Quite a few good courses to choose from in that area. RP and Pennard would be great and one or two more or even an extra game at RP would be good. Clocks go forward on the 24th so more light for an afternoon game from Sunday.