Late March 2019 - Best of Welsh Coastal Courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

Cheers, looks like it maybe a goer, wasn't to sure due to location, as doesn't seem to be a lot of members in wales on here.

Over the next couple of weeks, will contact a few clubs and ask about the period Sun 24/3/19(afternoon) - Tues 26/3(morning). Portcrawl appear to only allow 3 or 4 balls in the morning on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and think it would be nice to have the best course on the last day, rather than first day. Hopefully they will be able to accommodate us on the Tuesday but if they cant will look at the week before.

Once I have some prices, will post up details for the 3 days.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There is an event played in that neck of the woods that time of year. I am playing in a few weeks (hopefully).

Welcome to The 2nd South Wales Links Championship . This outstanding 4 day Amateur stableford Mens Championship is played over 5 of Wales Finest courses. The winner will win a £300 voucher and The South Wales Coast Links Trophy . The 5 Venues are Southerndown Golf Club, Ashburnham Golf Club, Pennard Golf Club, & Royal Porthcawl . Machynys Peninsula will be played on Day 4 for those not qualifying. The 5 courses are all ranked in the Top 10 in Wales, with Senior Open venue 2017 Royal Porthcawl ranked #1

Will let you know what it's like.

D

Deleted member 21258

There is an event played in that neck of the woods that time of year. I am playing in a few weeks (hopefully).

Welcome to The 2nd South Wales Links Championship . This outstanding 4 day Amateur stableford Mens Championship is played over 5 of Wales Finest courses. The winner will win a £300 voucher and The South Wales Coast Links Trophy . The 5 Venues are Southerndown Golf Club, Ashburnham Golf Club, Pennard Golf Club, & Royal Porthcawl . Machynys Peninsula will be played on Day 4 for those not qualifying. The 5 courses are all ranked in the Top 10 in Wales, with Senior Open venue 2017 Royal Porthcawl ranked #1

Will let you know what it's like.

Thanks, details appear to be Monday-Thursday, £199, must be members of a club, handicap limit of 18, men only according to this link :-

http://www.seancoylegolfevents.com/south-wales/4593861922

EDIT and only top 36 get to play Porthcrawl...:(

Cheers interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17920

Thanks, details appear to be Monday-Thursday, £199, must be members of a club, handicap limit of 18, men only according to this link :-

http://www.seancoylegolfevents.com/south-wales/4593861922

EDIT and only top 36 get to play Porthcrawl...:(

Cheers interesting.
I am never a fan of these events when they promote it as playing the best courses but in reality only the top 36 get to actually play the best course.

Thats is why I like what we do in the forum as you actually get to play to top courses.

Nice one Darren for taking this up and let’s hope all clubs come to the party with dates and prices.

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have heard good things about Southerndown.:thup:

Its a cracker. Another one on the less costly front to consider is Neath. Lovely hillside James Braid track with great views.

I could well be up for this please Darren :thup:

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played Neath and Tenby - they are very good courses indeed. Playing Ashburnham in June - that looks great too.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
D

Deleted member 21258

Wasn't suggesting this as an alternative - just a suggeston of some decent courses in the area.

I was initially :eek: (but as it may not include porthcrawl, it means its a no goer for me, as that's the course I would like to play)

Really grateful for the details, if my post read otherwise, sorry wasn't meant to be.:eek:

Would love to hear what you think of them tho Mike :thup:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Would have been all over this but sadly over in Ireland playing Waterville, Tralee and Ballybunion.:whistle:At least all being well. The NW massif may be otherwise enaged for this one as we're at Mottram hall on Masters weekend, a week or two later.

Loved Porthcawl, and was impressed by Tenby as well, although about 90 minutes inbetween both.

Just to let you know that both Porthcawl and Tenby have dormy houses.

Having a single malt in Porthcawl's bar is a must afterwards, one of golf's great experiences.:thup:

D

Deleted member 17920

Would have been all over this but sadly over in Ireland playing Waterville, Tralee and Ballybunion.:whistle:At least all being well. The NW massif may be otherwise enaged for this one as we're at Mottram hall on Masters weekend, a week or two later.

Loved Porthcawl, and was impressed by Tenby as well, although about 90 minutes inbetween both.

Just to let you know that both Porthcawl and Tenby have dormy houses.

Having a single malt in Porthcawl's bar is a must afterwards, one of golf's great experiences.:thup:
Peter,

Darren is talking about 2019.

you are in another world :whistle:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Peter,

Darren is talking about 2019.

you are in another world :whistle:

Whoops, Ok then - very interested. :thup:

Just for info, Darren - I spoke to a lady at Burnham and Berrow the other year and advised what a great deal we had had at Aberdovey, and she said that if we filled the dormy house, she would cut us a cheaper deal than the advertised one, just in case B+B is under consideration.

I think it was £150 for 1 night and 2 rounds at the time, and she said that she would do for £120, iirc.

Last edited:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i could be up for this Darren. Did similar about 15yrs ago. we stayed in Mumbles, but hotels are small there. A better base is probably in Swansea. All courses are really good. If we wanted to make it slightly bigger, could start at Tenby, one night local and play Asburnham on the way to Swansea - and then have a couple of days there