Ben Hogan's Five Lessons - The Modern Fundamentals of Golf

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was given this for Christmas and I have been dipping in and out of it and finished it last night. He does make it all sound very easy (but requires hard work and practice), but I very much enjoyed it and I think this year in an effort to improve I will see if I can apply his lessons to my own game and practice.

A couple of things I liked was the positioning of the feet, particularly the right foot and the check points before you start the backswing with regards to elbows, grip etc. Easy things to remember and groove.

One of my definite issues is bending my left arm on the backswing far too much and the sequence of my turn in the downswing, often starting with my arms, rather than the hips, meaning I lose so much power and cause myself to mover laterally creating tops and fats etc.

I quite liked the story he told about playing golf to the shops up his neighbours lawns. Not sure I can get away with that though :)

Anyone else read it? Did you enjoy it?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Was given this for Christmas and I have been dipping in and out of it and finished it last night. He does make it all sound very easy (but requires hard work and practice), but I very much enjoyed it and I think this year in an effort to improve I will see if I can apply his lessons to my own game and practice.

A couple of things I liked was the positioning of the feet, particularly the right foot and the check points before you start the backswing with regards to elbows, grip etc. Easy things to remember and groove.

One of my definite issues is bending my left arm on the backswing far too much and the sequence of my turn in the downswing, often starting with my arms, rather than the hips, meaning I lose so much power and cause myself to mover laterally creating tops and fats etc.

I quite liked the story he told about playing golf to the shops up his neighbours lawns. Not sure I can get away with that though :)

Anyone else read it? Did you enjoy it?

My bible - though be aware that Hogan didn't actually fully understand his own swing :)

In my early teens I would lie my copy open on the grass in front of me with me facing the big window in the side of our garage - and I'd match my swing position to the sequence in the book - from address to top of backswing and then through to full follow-through. And side-on as well.

And that's how I learned my swing - from that book - and hence my forum name. Once when playing in my mid-20s my PP said to me 'I thought I'd played with you before - even although I know that we haven't - but I realise now why I thought that - it was your swing I recognise - you swing it like Hogan

Back then I too loved the idea of pitching between gardens on the way to the shops and when a kid in Glasgow did it many times in my head from home to our local shops.

Last edited:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
This is one of if not the best golf instructional book ever written, so far ahead of its time. Hogan was the first to really think about and try and perfect every aspect of the golf swing. He was and still is to many the greatest striker of a ball who's ever lived. More Norman disciples might disagree but as great as he was I have to say Hogan is for me. I would say this book along with regular tuition from a pro, also some other books are great. Fundamentals of hogan by leadbetter (this has all the original pictures taken for 5 lessons) leadbetter goes in to really great detail and gives a great perspective on Hogan swing and lessons. Also you cant beat Harvey Penwicks little red book another great golf book with simple anecdotes. All in all though, 5 lessons does line out great fundamentals but there are a couple of things hogan did that the average guy can't or wouldn't benefit from, this is why you should couple this book with tuition and other reading. It is a must read for any golfer though.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Also if you watch any videos on YouTube about Gary player talking about hogan, it says it all really. There are some great YouTube guys who are very much into hogan and his secret. Myswingevolution
Sevam1
Secretinthedirt
Just to name a few

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My bible - though be aware that Hogan didn't actually fully understand his own swing :)

In my early teens I would lie my copy open on the grass in front of me with me facing the big window in the side of our garage - and I'd match my swing position to the sequence in the book - from address to top of backswing and then through to full follow-through. And side-on as well.

And that's how I learned my swing - from that book - and hence my forum name. Once when playing in my mid-20s my PP said to me 'I thought I'd played with you before - even although I know that we haven't - but I realise now why I thought that - it was your swing I recognise - you swing it like Hogan

Back then I too loved the idea of pitching between gardens on the way to the shops and when a kid in Glasgow did it many times in my head from home to our local shops.
A nice story. Sums up the enthusiasm of youth.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Haven't read it personally. My golf bible is Jim Hardys "Plane Truth". In this he makes reference to Ben Hogan being a one plane swinger and in fact an error that Ben made in his thinking. It was not until later that Ben himself realised the way of his error on his downswing, where he initially thought that his right elbow had to be on top of his right hip on the downswing.
Get a copy of Jim Hardy's book it's a real revelation and explains why teaching articles in golf magazines can be contradictory

Jbootle

Visit site
Bumping this thread to get a few thoughts. I'm relatively new to the forum, so hi!

Started playing properly for maybe 18 months and after a few lessons and lots of play i've been hitting low 90s, however i really want to kick on some more and bought this book.

What surprised me was the feet positioning, especially how for the mid to short irons the right foot is in front of the left. I've always had both feet equal distance behind the ball, is it worth persevering with what he talks about in this book, as i think it maybe a case of 1 step back to go 2 forward.

Really trying to work on the downswing to help get a more consistent swing. Cheers guys!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
This is still very much relevant today.

Patrick Reed is a player who used this philosophy when he was learning the game. Prior to him, Duffner was a Bob Hogan follower. Both excellent ball strikers. No doubt, there are lots more elite players, but these are two that come to mind who have spoken about it.

Also feel if you do read it and try to put it into practice, it should help you speak to coaches at a better level early on if you do get lessons.

It's the kind of book that you should keep reading and go back to just to remind you of a good technique and try to iron out any bad habits.

JollyRedDevil

Club Champion
Visit site
There are at least 3 different version of this book that I've found on Amazon. Are they all the same thing?

The Modern Fundamentals Of Golf
8 Apr 1988
by Ben Hogan and Herbert Warren Wind
51A3EKxf7pL._AC_US218_.jpg

Ben Hogan's Five Lessons
by Ben Hogan
41Wx5xZEJHL._AC_US218_.jpg

Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf
6 Nov 2006
by Ben Hogan and Herbert Warren Wind
51U+6Jfb+OL._AC_US218_.jpg

Jbootle

Visit site
This is still very much relevant today.

Patrick Reed is a player who used this philosophy when he was learning the game. Prior to him, Duffner was a Bob Hogan follower. Both excellent ball strikers. No doubt, there are lots more elite players, but these are two that come to mind who have spoken about it.

Also feel if you do read it and try to put it into practice, it should help you speak to coaches at a better level early on if you do get lessons.

It's the kind of book that you should keep reading and go back to just to remind you of a good technique and try to iron out any bad habits.

Thanks for your thoughts - i already feel like i can now discuss and explain what i'm trying to do at a more technical level. Really is very easily explained in the book.