Have you changed anything for this season in your swing?

Fore Right

Visit site
Its all feel verses real right ?

What feels drastically different actually is an incremental change when you see a side by side on video

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only everything and gone to the Eureka Swing as per Steve Johnstone -

Much better for my back and have been able to get it round even when it hasn't been great. Takes a lot of pressure of the right hand side
Seeing as he is open is he promoting the finish as in get your lead hip out the way so you can rotate further around?
Is there a reduction in distance or is it just an increase because you swing through the ball?

Springveldt

Visit site
Seeing as he is open is he promoting the finish as in get your lead hip out the way so you can rotate further around?
Is there a reduction in distance or is it just an increase because you swing through the ball?
I’ve been doing this for the last few weeks and my irons have improved quite a bit. I suffer from chunks and left pulls with my irons typically and the number I’ve had of them has gone down dramatically. I don’t think I’ve lost any distance at all on my irons, if anything I might have gained some though better contact.

For driver I’m finding I’m much more accurate but I’ve probably lost a few yards but that may be more to do with course conditions. Not sure if it’s I’m just not really comfortable to swing fully at it or if it’s restricting my turn/backswing but it’s something I’m willing to live with just now as the driver is nearly always in play. I think I’ve hit 1 wayward drive in the last 3 rounds and at my course I’m hitting 16 drives per round.

Hybrids and 3 wood I’d say I might be hitting them the best I’ve ever hit them and no loss of distance. All 3 of them are going really straight, with nice high flights.

Overall it’s been really promising so far. I’ve played some really good golf lately using this stance. As someone who is always late with his hips (my right foot it still fully on the ground at impact) this seems to work for me.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No I havnt but think I might have to.
Something has gone wrong and my ball striking is abysmal atm.
It’s one of them that I just can’t tell what’s wrong.

I’m normally pretty good at self analysis but I’m scratching my head .
Yesterday was awful with a lot of very low and left grass scorchers!
This has happened to me too. No idea what has gone wrong. I will get our pro to have a look this week. It is usually something simple to fix.

TigerTime

Visit site
Learned (learning?) the concept of low point control and strike awareness and swing arc height. Also playing from different lies - was a bit of an eye opener learning that ball sitting up slightly is basically a red tee etc. Unless shifting my weight more to shift the low point counts as a swing change. My swing largely looks the same as it always has and there is still a bit of poor contact. I can see from my WHS scores/stats that there has been a slight improvement so it's working to an extent - I could certainly do with more practice though but as it's basically prime playing season practice has somewhat been limited.

I have a tendency to pull cut everything. Backswing is slightly under plane and a little flat, in transition I pull my hands up and out over the plane and everything goes. I really hope we are going to work on this next, even if it takes the rest of the year to get it as I do feel it will be the catalyst into seeing the ball flight I want to see and lower scores as a result. It will also change my swing path and with my new found awareness of low point control and strike it will make a big difference I think. I'm not sure on why we haven't worked on this yet, perhaps the coach is reluctant for me to make this change for now as it will undoubtedly result in being worse while I get used to it and maybe mid-season isn't the time. Ironically, on holes that require a draw shape I just tend to aim way right then 'let go' of the club and it results in a pully draw/hook, but works really well on those kinda holes. Any tee shot that requires a fade or a straight ball I tend to just do my normal thing and pull cut it.

I am a very good putter usually, but this year I've neglected it and I need to throw in some putting practice again to get back to where it was. I am 3 putting at least twice a round and that's not good enough. My short game is ok but I lack distance control from around 100 yards and in, so I also need to come up with some sort of system for that. I was thinking I could use a clock drill for wedges. As an example - feeling like I am going to 3pm results in X distance, 2.30pm would be a little shorter etc. So could be doing with learning different types of short game shots aswell. Bunker work needs improvement too.

The scope is there for improvement, as it always is with golf.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’ve been doing this for the last few weeks and my irons have improved quite a bit. I suffer from chunks and left pulls with my irons typically and the number I’ve had of them has gone down dramatically. I don’t think I’ve lost any distance at all on my irons, if anything I might have gained some though better contact.

For driver I’m finding I’m much more accurate but I’ve probably lost a few yards but that may be more to do with course conditions. Not sure if it’s I’m just not really comfortable to swing fully at it or if it’s restricting my turn/backswing but it’s something I’m willing to live with just now as the driver is nearly always in play. I think I’ve hit 1 wayward drive in the last 3 rounds and at my course I’m hitting 16 drives per round.

Hybrids and 3 wood I’d say I might be hitting them the best I’ve ever hit them and no loss of distance. All 3 of them are going really straight, with nice high flights.

Overall it’s been really promising so far. I’ve played some really good golf lately using this stance. As someone who is always late with his hips (my right foot it still fully on the ground at impact) this seems to work for me.
Irons are noticably longer (+5 yards). It's hard to be subjective with the driver as it has still been windy (lots of drives are into the wind) and it has been damp. What has been noticeable is the tighter dispersion and not s many going right so taking the right out of play

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I remember standing behind the tee box at the Open in Sandwich a few years ago and seeing how they set up. They were open but it wasn't massive and they were hitting very little shape .. I went home and tried it as well and my driving was very good, might have to revisit it on the range and see if it can get me back to my driver.

Springveldt

Visit site
Irons are noticably longer (+5 yards). It's hard to be subjective with the driver as it has still been windy (lots of drives are into the wind) and it has been damp. What has been noticeable is the tighter dispersion and not s many going right so taking the right out of play
This is exactly what I'm finding, I'm even getting confident aiming down the right as not many are going that way. I did block shots on both 17 and 18 in my last round but I'm sure that was a setup issue and I had the ball too far back in my stance as I was playing into a strong wind into and off the right. I might be able to get out for a game tonight and if the right's continue with the irons I'll be a little worried but those 2 shots on the last 2 holes of the last round where the only shots I can remember going right off the irons in at least 3 or 4 rounds. Everything seems to be straight, a slight pull or a little draw and the strike has been much better. Getting a lot more of those buttery feeling strikes where it's ball then turf near the middle of the face.

Looking at my shots gained on approaches in Shot Scope for the last 5 rounds compared to a 5 handicap, it's probably my best run of form. The last round looks terrible due to those 2 blocks costing me 3 shots (1 OB and 1 drop) and I also had 3 hacks to get me out of some wet, juicy rough so it's at -5.5 but the 4 before are +3.98, +2.21, +2.93 and +2.52.

As I said, I feel like I'm hitting my irons really, really well at the moment using this stance.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This is exactly what I'm finding, I'm even getting confident aiming down the right as not many are going that way. I did block shots on both 17 and 18 in my last round but I'm sure that was a setup issue and I had the ball too far back in my stance as I was playing into a strong wind into and off the right. I might be able to get out for a game tonight and if the right's continue with the irons I'll be a little worried but those 2 shots on the last 2 holes of the last round where the only shots I can remember going right off the irons in at least 3 or 4 rounds. Everything seems to be straight, a slight pull or a little draw and the strike has been much better. Getting a lot more of those buttery feeling strikes where it's ball then turf near the middle of the face.

Looking at my shots gained on approaches in Shot Scope for the last 5 rounds compared to a 5 handicap, it's probably my best run of form. The last round looks terrible due to those 2 blocks costing me 3 shots (1 OB and 1 drop) and I also had 3 hacks to get me out of some wet, juicy rough so it's at -5.5 but the 4 before are +3.98, +2.21, +2.93 and +2.52.

As I said, I feel like I'm hitting my irons really, really well at the moment using this stance.
My driving strokes gained are down mainly due to distance (bad back, strong winds, wet ground) and losing a shot on approach play due mainly to missing the greens long (getting used to longer yardages)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This has happened to me too. No idea what has gone wrong. I will get our pro to have a look this week. It is usually something simple to fix.
I spent two hours on the practice ground yesterday and think I have sorted it.

I was keeping to much weight on my back foot not transferring to my lead foot.

So went 60/40 at set up on lead foot and dramatic change.

Back to basics is always a good fix.!

Springveldt

Visit site
I spent two hours on the practice ground yesterday and think I have sorted it.

I was keeping to much weight on my back foot not transferring to my lead foot.

So went 60/40 at set up on lead foot and dramatic change.

Back to basics is always a good fix.!
I told my brother in law the same thing the other day. He doesn't play a lot of golf and he was getting frustrated at his contact being so poor. I told him to just focus on keeping more pressure on his lead side through his swing and I also gave him the feeling of stretching away on the backswing as he was collapsing his arms across his chest and bending them both massively.

After that he hit 5 good drives in a row and hit some good shots into greens as well. He's the kind of guy who never gets a golf lesson, never watches golf instruction videos as "he'll figure it out himself" but he did say that he was going to go to the range to work on what I had told him because he could see the difference in his shots.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I told my brother in law the same thing the other day. He doesn't play a lot of golf and he was getting frustrated at his contact being so poor. I told him to just focus on keeping more pressure on his lead side through his swing and I also gave him the feeling of stretching away on the backswing as he was collapsing his arms across his chest and bending them both massively.

After that he hit 5 good drives in a row and hit some good shots into greens as well. He's the kind of guy who never gets a golf lesson, never watches golf instruction videos as "he'll figure it out himself" but he did say that he was going to go to the range to work on what I had told him because he could see the difference in his shots.
I tried the lifting of the lead heel in backswing then slam it down on the transition that might help him.

I found it a bit awkward but it does show your shifting your weight.

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After struggling with my swing for ages, getting fat and older I have been hitting the gym since Jan & had a few lessons on some dual force plates.

Completely revolutionised my game (the force plates). All the "perfect positions" in the swing I wanted (and tried to force myself into manually) just came about naturally by a proper understanding of how to use the ground and my body etc. All the swing thoughts (i.e. about the club) have just disappeared & I feel like I am just throwing the club away to start and simply re-centering > back to target; to me what feels like at the mid point of the back swing. I am now hitting it as good as I ever have. Lovely compression of the ball, really rotated at impact by making the swing about being a dynamic movement using the floor & forgetting there is even a club in my hands. 10/10 recommend going to someone with the plates.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Reading this topic then, it's clear what I need to do to save my golf game from oblivion. I just need to practise lifting my left heel in a eureka swing on top of some force plates. Job done.