Been Invited To Play In a Club Match For The First Time!

D

Deleted member 15344

Just ask - ask him what colour shirts the team wears or does he need to be a club crested shirt - that way you know exactly what you need to wear and it removes any doubt

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really opened a can of worms on this club shirt thing didn't I? Haha, that wasn't my intention, I was just thinking aloud really.

I think/hope this will be nearest the truth, particularly as the club sec hasn't mentioned the wearing of club shirts at all still. I'm hesitant to bring it up myself in case he takes the opportunity to try and flog me a club shirt at some expense, so I'm leaving it in his court for now. :D Maybe I'll ring my mate on the day and make sure we co-ordinate what colours we're wearing. :rofl:

Just establish the shirt colour and do the best you can from your existing wardrobe. The crests are a bit of a red herring but making the effort to wear a matching shirt is a good thing all round.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just establish the shirt colour and do the best you can from your existing wardrobe. The crests are a bit of a red herring but making the effort to wear a matching shirt is a good thing all round.
Touched upon it earlier, but I'm 90% sure the club shirts are red and I certainly don't have a red polo at home. Have dark and light blue, purple, white, grey but no red.

D

Deleted member 16999

Our “crested” Polo’s are £29.99, all colours, all sizes.
Our Team kit is identical badge with Team written underneath, our team kit is free for squad members, for the last decade or more it has been sponsored by a local company, we get a Polo and a thinsular top from them.

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just buy a club polo and be done with it. I own a few club golf shirts too and always happy to wear them on any occasion, and certainly don't feel like a pleb.

D

Deleted Member 1156

In the grand scheme of things, is it really a problem to buy a red polo? It's not as if you won't be able to wear it again.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you ever have that feeling you wished you hadn't raised a subject? :whistle:
Haha. I don't know why the focus is on that, but anyway! I'm looking forward to it this Sunday, hopefully we can perform well with or without club shirts! My mate that I'm playing with, in theory we should make a good pair, as I'm a little more accurate off the tee, and he strikes his long irons really well, while my short irons are pretty decent. Unfortunately neither of us are great at putting, which was certainly our downfall last time we did a pairs scramble.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got 3 club shirts.......just saying. :D

You are lucky! Only 3....

Since I've been playing men's matches there have been 4 colours, the men's league team change shirts every year, the seniors wear white as do the vets league team (so at least one colour doubles up but obviously one shirt in that colour isn't enough with consecutive matches etc).

So, if I was guessing, there will be 9 club shirts in the wardrobe (well 1 in the wash currently) and I haven't been at the club 10 years yet!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well today was the day. Texted club sec last night to say we didn't have club shirts, he said no problem just get one next time. As it turns out Thorney's club shirts are red also so we ended up with six fellers wearing red and us two not!

We were up against a nice pair of lads who were slightly lower hcap than us (16 & 20 to our 18 & 21), the format as I mentioned was Stableford betterball with 90% of handicaps. We started well, as my mate sunk a long birdie putt on the 3rd and I did the same on the 4th (opponents were suitably flabbergasted haha). We were leading 24-22 at the halfway stage, and on the 11th I managed a chip in par that was jammy as hell, would have run off the green but it hit the pin and dropped!

Unfortunately we had a couple of bad holes between us around the 13th & 14th which let them back in, then one of their lads scored a cracking birdie on the par 5 15th. In the end we drew our match 42-42.

As it turns out we got the best score of any of our clubs pairs, home or away, so we were pleased with how we did, but unfortunately we lost the tie to them overall 155-160. The other away tie was lost 35-44 which is what did the damage really. The home ties had ended 41-37 and 37-37. So a close defeat in the end.

Overall had a great day and really enjoyed it. Great weather as well which is always nice. They brought out sandwiches and nibbles while we had a couple of pints and talked about all the ones that got away!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well today was the day. Texted club sec last night to say we didn't have club shirts, he said no problem just get one next time. As it turns out Thorney's club shirts are red also so we ended up with six fellers wearing red and us two not!

We were up against a nice pair of lads who were slightly lower hcap than us (16 & 20 to our 18 & 21), the format as I mentioned was Stableford betterball with 90% of handicaps. We started well, as my mate sunk a long birdie putt on the 3rd and I did the same on the 4th (opponents were suitably flabbergasted haha). We were leading 24-22 at the halfway stage, and on the 11th I managed a chip in par that was jammy as hell, would have run off the green but it hit the pin and dropped!

Unfortunately we had a couple of bad holes between us around the 13th & 14th which let them back in, then one of their lads scored a cracking birdie on the par 5 15th. In the end we drew our match 42-42.

As it turns out we got the best score of any of our clubs pairs, home or away, so we were pleased with how we did, but unfortunately we lost the tie to them overall 155-160. The other away tie was lost 35-44 which is what did the damage really. The home ties had ended 41-37 and 37-37. So a close defeat in the end.

Overall had a great day and really enjoyed it. Great weather as well which is always nice. They brought out sandwiches and nibbles while we had a couple of pints and talked about all the ones that got away!

Glad it went well, you didn't upset anyone by not wearing shirts and that you have a good time. Will you be doing it again?