Been Invited To Play In a Club Match For The First Time!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You'll probably need to buy a club team shirt and also all wear the same colour trousers. Possibly need to buy a jumper as well. We also make sure everyone is wearing the same colour shoes and we have team bags with club crest on them.

My first club match cost me about £350.

Edit: I forgot the waterproofs, they were another £200!!

£200 waterproofs? TK Max specials ??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have to wear club colours and naturally they are the most expensive items in the shop (or I'm being cynical). We don't have too many events needing a club tie these days. As for the OP, go out there and relax. No different to playing any other club competition and good you've got a wing man if you have a bad hole

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Might be different for me, depending on whether I'm in the 'home' match or the 'away' match, seeing as my membership is on a public course so I actually just pay £100 a year for membership, plus paying green fees each time I play. Possibly if I'm in the away match we wouldn't have to pay, as I say, don't know how it works.

I played in matches for a similar club for decades. Whilst it's no guarantee that yours does the same the practice was to pay the standard home club green fee to the match captain when playing away, and it was used to pay the green fee for visiting teams on the home matches.
It meant that home or away matches were the same cost for the golf, and you will have catering costs on top.
On match kit - everywhere is different! The guiding principle is that you will be advised on the club shirt, as a minimum, and will make your own decision about how to 'comply'; some wouldn't dream of setting off without a club logo on their matching branded underwear and socks....others will find the best match in their existing wardrobe 👍
Personally I would strongly recommend accepting the invitation and trying out the experience - for some it is just another game, on just another course, and they look at the costs and conveinence when making future playing decisions. For others they end up hooked on the whole thing and it becomes the basis of their golfing year meeting up with the same people year after year; with occassionally different results but always good fun.
Try it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When we play away matches we don't have to pay any green fee but we do have a match fee, both home and away. Not entirely sure why we do it for away games as the home side provides the food before/after a game and so assume it recycled back into club funds. Clearly when we play at home that money goes towards the cost of the food. We are expected to wear club colours and there is a £5 for the captains charity if you don't

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had confirmation over the weekend that me and my mate will be playing in the away leg at Thorney - he did this to help us out as we won't have to pay a green fee (we would if playing at home because of how our membership works as I said earlier). We just have to pay £10 each which is the match fee. He didn't mention anything about club shirts on the phone though, so I'm still not sure about that. Given that he hasn't mentioned it, I'll assume we're fine to wear any of our clothes until he says otherwise. (I would not be able to even match in colour from my own clothes as the club shirts are red and I don't own a red polo.)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh, another question I forgot, what does 90% of combined handicap really mean? If my mate is 18 and I'm 21, is 90% of the average of those two? So 17.55 (=18)?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Had confirmation over the weekend that me and my mate will be playing in the away leg at Thorney - he did this to help us out as we won't have to pay a green fee (we would if playing at home because of how our membership works as I said earlier). We just have to pay £10 each which is the match fee. He didn't mention anything about club shirts on the phone though, so I'm still not sure about that. Given that he hasn't mentioned it, I'll assume we're fine to wear any of our clothes until he says otherwise. (I would not be able to even match in colour from my own clothes as the club shirts are red and I don't own a red polo.)
Don’t assume on the dress code. Ask and make sure. Would hate for you to be reprimanded for not wearing the proper club attire. All our representative teams have to wear the club shirt (with logo). Besides having a shirt from your club should be a sign of pride. Ours go around £50 which isn’t crazy money.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Oh, another question I forgot, what does 90% of combined handicap really mean? If my mate is 18 and I'm 21, is 90% of the average of those two? So 17.55 (=18)?

No, you get 90% of the difference from the lowest player out of the 4 of you. Say the lowest is off 10 and you are off 20, the difference is 10 so you get 9 shots. The other 2 guys also work out the difference from the lowest player and they also get 90% of whatever the difference is for each of their handicaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, you get 90% of the difference from the lowest player out of the 4 of you. Say the lowest is off 10 and you are off 20, the difference is 10 so you get 9 shots. The other 2 guys also work out the difference from the lowest player and they also get 90% of whatever the difference is for each of their handicaps.
Don't understand that at all. Also, don't know if I said but I think he said it's 4BBB Stableford, whereas what you said sounds like match play. :confused:

Sorry, I've almost no experience of pairs/team matches, we only did one such thing before and I can't remember how the handicap was done then either.

Don’t assume on the dress code. Ask and make sure. Would hate for you to be reprimanded for not wearing the proper club attire. All our representative teams have to wear the club shirt (with logo). Besides having a shirt from your club should be a sign of pride. Ours go around £50 which isn’t crazy money.

There's no way I'd be spending £50 on one. That would be extortionate. If we had to get one I'd hope for a discount, wouldn't want to spend more than 20 to be honest.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

At our place anyone playing for the main team get a polo shirt and a jumper / top free. Anyone playing in a friendly wears what they like. Being charged to get kitted out seems unfair to me. Hopefully you will not be out of pocket for something which is meant to be fun.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
At our place anyone playing for the main team get a polo shirt and a jumper / top free. Anyone playing in a friendly wears what they like. Being charged to get kitted out seems unfair to me. Hopefully you will not be out of pocket for something which is meant to be fun.
See this is more in tune with what I was thinking, haha. If we need to wear a club shirt then I'm not sure we should be made to purchase one.

D

Deleted member 15344

I find playing for me club to be an honour and a privilege so have no issues buying a club shirt to ensure that I feel part of the team and it looks smart. It’s a purchase that I will make use of plenty of times.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find playing for me club to be an honour and a privilege so have no issues buying a club shirt to ensure that I feel part of the team and it looks smart. It’s a purchase that I will make use of plenty of times.
You say that, I was thinking the opposite though. I wouldn't have thought I'll be playing loads of club matches, plus you wouldn't wear your club shirt for a club comp would you as you'd look like a bit of a pleb? So the only use I'd maybe get would be to wear it on friendly knocks at other courses. Not sure though. If I have to buy one, my feeling will depend on how much it is of course. If it's cheap then not going to be too bothered.

D

Deleted member 15344

You say that, I was thinking the opposite though. I wouldn't have thought I'll be playing loads of club matches, plus you wouldn't wear your club shirt for a club comp would you as you'd look like a bit of a pleb? So the only use I'd maybe get would be to wear it on friendly knocks at other courses. Not sure though. If I have to buy one, my feeling will depend on how much it is of course. If it's cheap then not going to be too bothered.

Why wouldn’t I use a club shirt during a Comp ?!? And how does it make me a pleb for wearing it - loads of people wear their club shirts when playing socially or in comps. I have three and wear them regularly

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
It’s a golf shirt. You play golf? You will get use from it and the cost should be irrelevant especially as you will be representing your club. A good golf shirt these days costs £50 easily. Don’t cheap out lad. You may be asked to play in more matches

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

why would you look a pleb just because you have a club shirt on??

i would say 90% of the members at my club would be wearing a club shirt of some sort when playing, and if a jumper or top was required prob one of those too.