Been Invited To Play In a Club Match For The First Time!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So last night I got added to a WhatsApp group asking if I'm available for a club match v Thorney Park on 3rd June (along with a mate of mine, and 6 others). Apparently it's the Siemens Bowl, I have no idea what that is to be honest. It's betterball he says. We're interested but never done anything like this, so not sure what to expect really. I wasn't expecting to be asked any time soon. I imagine they need higher handicappers for the team (my mate is 18 I'm 21 at the mo). If you're playing the away match do you get member's guest rates I'm guessing?? I really don't know how it all works.

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If it is a pairs match, it will likely be 4BBB. Club matches are great. Ours normally cost £10-15 and include food before the match and a spread of sarnies and chips afterwards. Home players normally buy a round of drinks for the 4 ball. You won't need to pay any extra green fees from my experience anyway. Go for it - a good craic - I really enjoy playing club matches.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Don't listen to him.
You'll have to face an initiation ceremony of playing your first shot with trousers round your knees, you'll be expected to be at the beck and call of the Captain all day and buy him drinks.
It's also bad form to win your first match and if you do you'll be at the bar all night with an emptying wallet.
You'll also be flag holder and have to pick the balls from the hole on every green.
It's best to get all this out of the way early in your career, then you can relax next time..

Or I might be telling porkies....😂

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We play a better ball comp. We don't have to pay any sort of green fee. We play home and away against each club.

Only way to find out is to ask the question to the Siemens Bowl Organiser at your club.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it is a pairs match, it will likely be 4BBB. Club matches are great. Ours normally cost £10-15 and include food before the match and a spread of sarnies and chips afterwards. Home players normally buy a round of drinks for the 4 ball. You won't need to pay any extra green fees from my experience anyway. Go for it - a good craic - I really enjoy playing club matches.
I don't normally play matches like that even within the club. I've only ever entered one betterball and that was pairs. Sorry I'm not familiar with the term '4BBB' does that just mean a pair from one team up against a pair from the other team?

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't normally play matches like that even within the club. I've only ever entered one betterball and that was pairs. Sorry I'm not familiar with the term '4BBB' does that just mean a pair from one team up against a pair from the other team?

This is correct.
You + Mate will be up against 2 from Thorney Park.

Normally shots are given based on 90% difference from the lowest player (well in our case it is)

So if the lowest player (of the 4 players) is off 11 and you're off 21 then you'll get 90% of 10 = 9 shots.
Your friend of 18 will get 90% of 7 shots = 6 shots.

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
4BBB - Four ball better ball. So the best net score of the pair of players from either team will win that particular hole. Shots given per player will be determined by the lowest handicapper of the four players and will normally be 90% difference.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
4BBB - Four ball better ball. So the best net score of the pair of players from either team will win that particular hole. Shots given per player will be determined by the lowest handicapper of the four players and will normally be 90% difference.

Is it not 3/4 difference in 4bbb ?? and 90% in singles ??

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I suppose it would depend if its home and away set up. esp as i think you have to pay for each game at your club??

I play in a fair few inter club matches and have never had to pay a fee. if its a home match we might be asked to chip in on the food and wine, but as a visitor never.

Also all of these are J&T for the meal after.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not ever paid a "green fee" in an interclub match, but expect to get charged for food /costs... not usually very much!
Might be different for me, depending on whether I'm in the 'home' match or the 'away' match, seeing as my membership is on a public course so I actually just pay £100 a year for membership, plus paying green fees each time I play. Possibly if I'm in the away match we wouldn't have to pay, as I say, don't know how it works.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suppose it would depend if its home and away set up. esp as i think you have to pay for each game at your club??

I play in a fair few inter club matches and have never had to pay a fee. if its a home match we might be asked to chip in on the food and wine, but as a visitor never.

Also all of these are J&T for the meal after.
Ok that's interesting, thanks for the info. I've told our club sec that I'm interested in taking part, so just awaiting his response with further details now.

D

Deleted Member 1156

You'll probably need to buy a club team shirt and also all wear the same colour trousers. Possibly need to buy a jumper as well. We also make sure everyone is wearing the same colour shoes and we have team bags with club crest on them.

My first club match cost me about £350.

Edit: I forgot the waterproofs, they were another £200!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You'll probably need to buy a club team shirt and also all wear the same colour trousers. Possibly need to buy a jumper as well. We also make sure everyone is wearing the same colour shoes and we have team bags with club crest on them.

Haha screw that. I might suddenly become busy that day. :rofl:

I do already have a club crest jumper though.. (was given it as a prize)

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site

That all seems a little extreme?!