Beef

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did wonder why he'd pretty much disappeared. I'm sure we all think it's all roses and cream being a touring pro, it's good to read an honest account like this of how hard it can be.

Humpy

Visit site
Hats off to Beef for being open and honest. There is still a stigma around mental health issues but things like this from a well known sportsman can only help. In a lot of ways golf is one of the toughest sports mentally. There was an interview with Jamie Murray on The Cut and he said that in tennis you are hitting a moving ball so it's largely reactive. In golf the ball isn't moving (unless your name is P Mickelson in the US Open!!) so if you don't hit a good shot it's all down to you. And Murray also said that you then have a good few minutes to dwell on that bad shot until your next shot.

Wolf

Visit site
Fair play to him for being so open it can be hard for men especially to come out and be honest about mental health issues hence it's the number 1 factor in men upto 34years old in commiting suicide.

Hopefully with his support network he finds balance and moves on

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Exactly as Maxxy says. Comes across as a nice guy and a nice role model.
Good luck Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeef

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Had a chat with a tour pro who was a member of a club I was previously a member of. Tour life undoubtedly has its highlights but there are also downsides. He realised they are in many respects very lucky but there are also issues the lifestyle brings, and I wouldn't be surprised if more aren't suffering in silence. Fair play to Beef for opening up & good luck to him.

As an aside, if he needed to step away for a bit and having read about the circumstances, do the Europen Tour's rules permit a medical exemption for mental health issues, or is it only physical problems?

sunshine

Visit site
Great blog. Lot of respect to the man - takes guts to open up like that, hope he's on the way back.

He says he's feeling better, which is great. But I don't expect we will be seeing much of him at the top of the leaderboard with everything going on in his life right now.... met a girl mid last year, engaged by the end of the year, now having a baby. Nappies and majors don't go hand in hand :LOL:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Can't stand him, however admire his honesty and openness.

Now if he just tidies himself up a bit and trimmed that horrendous looking beard into something respectable I may take to him a bit more.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Love Beef. So happy to see him back playing some tidy golf. The Distraction Pieces podcast he did with Scroobius Pip was fantastic, such a genuinely great guy and deserves success. I hope his demons are behind him and he can get back to enjoying being out there and entertaining crowds. So pleased to see him qualify for The Open too!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Love Beef. So happy to see him back playing some tidy golf. The Distraction Pieces podcast he did with Scroobius Pip was fantastic, such a genuinely great guy and deserves success. I hope his demons are behind him and he can get back to enjoying being out there and entertaining crowds. So pleased to see him qualify for The Open too!
100% agree. Think the crowds will give him a huge lift and would love to see him carry todays form into next week and be in the hunt come Sunday

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Can't stand him, however admire his honesty and openness.

Now if he just tidies himself up a bit and trimmed that horrendous looking beard into something respectable I may take to him a bit more.

Don't understand anyone who doesn't like beef. Can't see where it comes from at all. He's always been 100% genuine, since he first came onto the tour.

As regards the tidying up comment, really?! I'm 6 ft, 16 stone have a beard and dreads. Am I not welcome on a course? The guy has a beard. Get over yourself. Suppose you've had a moan about Tommy Fleetwood and his hair too!

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tough to watch that interview live as you could see he was on the brink of losing it. Great round and good to see him in the Open next week

This is certainly part of the problem. We [hunans especially men] are uncomfortable with emotion. Even in others. It’s a symptom of not being emotionally mature and one of the reasons why mental health issues are still a big yet silent problem.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Don't understand anyone who doesn't like beef. Can't see where it comes from at all. He's always been 100% genuine, since he first came onto the tour.

As regards the tidying up comment, really?! I'm 6 ft, 16 stone have a beard and dreads. Am I not welcome on a course? The guy has a beard. Get over yourself. Suppose you've had a moan about Tommy Fleetwood and his hair too!

Get over myself??? Says the guy describing his appearance on the internet???

I'll have my opinion and you can suck it up or ignore it.

As for Fleetwood yes he looks like a good short back and sides will tidy him up no end. Still got a class A golf game right enough.