BBC

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not commenting on UK costs, being overseas just now it’s a fair bit cheaper for the tv licence, dunno if its vfm I don’t use terrestrial telly
Here’s a wee difference… the tv license fee is collected by the electricity board with your leccy bill, kinda makes evasion pretty much impossible

(Off topic; I’ve always felt collecting the road tax at petrol point of sale would have the same benefit, plus be proportional)

Swango1980

Visit site
BBC TV license £159 per year

Sky entertainment + netflix + Sky Sports + Sky cinema £54 per month
Interesting, as I pay well over £100 per month for those, yet without the Sky Cinema. At least I know I am paying the going rate with the BBC. Sky just seem to charge what they want, to who they want. Rip off loyal customers, and give cheap deals to new customers.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting, as I pay well over £100 per month for those, yet without the Sky Cinema. At least I know I am paying the going rate with the BBC. Sky just seem to charge what they want, to who they want. Rip off loyal customers, and give cheap deals to new customers.
And yet you still choose to pay the rip off prices....but at least you have the choice.
I presume you're paying for your BBC license as well?

I don't have Sky so I didn't know the prices so When LP said they were around £160 per month, I was amazed.
I looked and you're right, it does say for new customers only, I'm guessing the BBC don't give similar discounts for new customers?

D

Deleted member 15344

And yet you still choose to pay the rip off prices....but at least you have the choice.

I don't have Sky so I didn't know the prices so When LP said they were around £160 per month, I was amazed.
I looked and you're right, it does say for new customers only, I'm guessing the BBC don't give similar discounts for new customers?

Those discounts soon disappear when you are signed on and the prices ramp up once you are in contract, if you want to keep it all then it’s going to cost but you can also add in other services like Disney , Amazon TV , Apple TV etc

Even discounted it’s still at least 5 times more expensive than a license fee

TimShady

Banned
Visit site

No because they aren’t allowed to.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Those discounts soon disappear when you are signed on and the prices ramp up once you are in contract, if you want to keep it all then it’s going to cost but you can also add in other services like Disney , Amazon TV , Apple TV etc

Even discounted it’s still at least 5 times more expensive than a license fee

This is true but that does not mean it offers value on an individual basis. I do not use the BBC services and so my licence fee is wasted and poor value. For anyone who uses the serivices, I am sure it is great value. I watch loads of series I enjoy on Sky, more expensive but great value, for others, maybe not.

Cheap does not necessarily nean value. The cost of Netflix is almost equivalent to the licence fee and I get far better value from that over a year.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just on a tangent, based on economies of scale, I would suspect that most steaming and other companies could price at a level that is competitive with the licence fee if TV ownership meant a compulsory subscription to their service.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Make sure you ring up when your contract has about 4-6 weeks to run. I have just done this and got Sky glass at the same price I was on with Sky Q. Exactly the same package (Sports and Cinema) with free Netflix. Price is the same as new customers as I made sure I did my research and told them that was all I was going to pay and they should reward loyalty. No arguments form Sky and was really easy and stress free

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Cheap does not necessarily nean value. The cost of Netflix is almost equivalent to the licence fee and I get far better value from that over a year.
Exactly, and it's your decision, your not forced to pay for Netflix.
If some people think the BBC is good value for money then fair enough, I don't

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
BBC TV license £159 per year

Sky entertainment + netflix + Sky Sports + Sky cinema £54 per month
That is comparing the whole package though

They still show some sports and films on free to view channels

Sky stream (368 channels) + netflix £228 per year
BBC licence + netflix £243 per year

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to be clear here, what was the actual purpose of this thread or is it just another "bash the BBC" because one of it's staff has made the news?

I think that may have triggered it but there is no harm in a debate every now and again as to whether the BBC has outlived its purpose and whether people are better served by commercial channels.

My view, I think that the BBC should be funded for News and Sports news (not coverage) and also for programming that is not adequately provided elsewhere. Sadly the BBC is competing wiht the commercial channels on the same playing field and my view of what the BBC should be is one where they rarely compete as the BBC is producing viewing that would not be commercially viable on a profit making channel.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just to be clear here, what was the actual purpose of this thread or is it just another "bash the BBC" because one of it's staff has made the news?

I suspect it’s another bash the BBC which then turns into the normal bash the license fee because it doesn’t suit the individual

What I always get from these discussions is the singular attitudes in life now

When people look at something like the license fee they just look at what they get out of it instead of maybe looking at the service it provides for millions of others. Millions that rely on the BBC , that don’t have streaming services or can’t afford Sky etc

BBC provides a vast array of differing programs at a fraction of the cost to most - everything from sport to drama , to documentaries etc and each one high quality. Netflix doesn’t provide the same level of service nor does Disney or Apple or Discovery etc - Sky can but costs you minimum 10 times the price plus a dish and extra equipment and it’s still a struggle for some in remote areas

If BBC became a service that people choose to pay for then it would lose millions in revenue meaning the quality would drop meaning many millions would lose out

Now some may not care about those people anymore or may not have cared about them in the first place but there will be plenty that do

We all know that when people claim they don’t watch anything they will still have watched some programs on BBC over the 12 months or indeed reruns of something - whether that be live or highlights of Football , rugby , atheltics , olympics , World Cup etc or master chef , top gear , apprentice, strictly , or Dr Who , Line of Duty , Luther , Happy Valley - Planet earth , The Office, Peaky Blinders etc - the list is endless

The BBC still make some of the best shows and most popular shows that can be seen

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect it’s another bash the BBC which then turns into the normal bash the license fee because it doesn’t suit the individual

What I always get from these discussions is the singular attitudes in life now

When people look at something like the license fee they just look at what they get out of it instead of maybe looking at the service it provides for millions of others. Millions that rely on the BBC , that don’t have streaming services or can’t afford Sky etc

BBC provides a vast array of differing programs at a fraction of the cost to most - everything from sport to drama , to documentaries etc and each one high quality. Netflix doesn’t provide the same level of service nor does Disney or Apple or Discovery etc - Sky can but costs you minimum 10 times the price plus a dish and extra equipment and it’s still a struggle for some in remote areas

If BBC became a service that people choose to pay for then it would lose millions in revenue meaning the quality would drop meaning many millions would lose out

Now some may not care about those people anymore or may not have cared about them in the first place but there will be plenty that do

We all know that when people claim they don’t watch anything they will still have watched some programs on BBC over the 12 months or indeed reruns of something - whether that be live or highlights of Football , rugby , atheltics , olympics , World Cup etc or master chef , top gear , apprentice, strictly , or Dr Who , Line of Duty , Luther , Happy Valley - Planet earth , The Office, Peaky Blinders etc - the list is endless

The BBC still make some of the best shows and most popular shows that can be seen
I think you also forgot some of their biggest money makers, Pepper Pig and Teletubbies.

I'm all for the BBC and it's current funding way.
They are also the only news supplier I actually trust fully.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the license fee is excellent value. Still lots to admire about the BBC. Despite my criticism of their Breakfast show I'd never watch a different news broadcast generally. Maybe I need to stop thinking of it as a news programme but they try to act like it is too often. I think they probably waste huge amounts of money and that's often to be seen by presenters standing outside a building or location where there's a news story - promptly giving us no extra input than already given in the lead up.

My current viewing stats are probably 90% BBC today - Wimbledon :) Usually I'd say it's at least 50% so pretty darned good value for money.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

You would hope a lesson would have been learned a long time ago not to believe a single word the rag printed

Staggers me that people still buy the paper, would question the intelligence of anyone that buys the rag - should have been closed years ago

Agreed - for me it's always been a comic - and a bad one at that. Thing is every single media outlet and news channel ran with it as a lead story. They should have waited a wee while...