BBC

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just to be clear here, what was the actual purpose of this thread or is it just another "bash the BBC" because one of it's staff has made the news?
Don’t know what the purpose of the thread is, but you can bet in a day or two there will be a tangent comment ( by the Op) to keep the thread going. Yes it is another bash the Beeb because of one of its staff “ allegedly”.

And yes it is a thread that was started to gossip. more so now that the alleged victim has said the claims are rammel.

Suffice to say there could be certain folk with egg on their face, the Sun paper included. Watch this space.

D

Deleted member 18121

I used to think like that 10 years ago.
Now I do not trust BBC News to be impartial or their methods of selecting, funding and programming.
I would get an Infraction if I told you why. ;)

I for one am of the belief that the BBC should be defunded as soon as reasonably practicable.

For some time now I use the BBC for the headlines, then I look elsewhere for what the truth actually is on the stories they report.

Oh and as for the person in the speculation at the moment.... I've seen a photo, it wasn't who I was expecting. I do wonder what it will take for it to be public knowledge.

sunshine

Visit site
I think you also forgot some of their biggest money makers, Pepper Pig and Teletubbies.

I'm all for the BBC and it's current funding way.
They are also the only news supplier I actually trust fully.

I get your point but I think the BBC licence fee is topped up by selling programmes overseas. And What’s Pepper pig?

Peppa pig is made by Entertainment One and has nothing to do with the BBC.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
I for one am of the belief that the BBC should be defunded as soon as reasonably practicable.

For some time now I use the BBC for the headlines, then I look elsewhere for what the truth actually is on the stories they report.

Oh and as for the person in the speculation at the moment.... I've seen a photo, it wasn't who I was expecting. I do wonder what it will take for it to be public knowledge.
Who do you look to for the truth?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Have you experienced American TV broadcasting?
That's what the UK's would descend to if there was no public service and only commercial ones.
Current UK commercial channels are as good as they are because they have to compete with the quality of the BBC. Remove the BBC and there would be a race to the gutter.
We need the BBC (or an equivalent).

How it's funded is another matter. The licence fee is an outmoded regressive way of doing it. It should probably be replaced with funding from general taxation.

D

Deleted member 18121

Who do you look to for the truth?

No singular point of reference, I'll review how a story is reported from several sources and see what spin they each put on it and then decided for myself which one I feel is most likely.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Yet it’s still significantly cheaper than subscription Telly and provides a wide range of products to try and suit every single person

If everyone paid £100 a month then the BBC would be able to pay the huge sums sports want for broadcasting now

The BBC has 2 main channels and has a vast array of programming - it doesn’t have a dedicated sports or film or drama channel etc
Rare I disagree with you Phil, but here goes.

The BBC spunked nearly all their sports money on highlights of English football, when all they needed was maybe 20 mill for the Open for eg. Instead hundreds of millions to re-cover what Sky are already doing. Priorities absolutely skewed. They could easily outbid Sky for Rugby League, SPFL, Cricket, but because of the former they are done. Dreadful.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I suspect it’s another bash the BBC which then turns into the normal bash the license fee because it doesn’t suit the individual

What I always get from these discussions is the singular attitudes in life now

When people look at something like the license fee they just look at what they get out of it instead of maybe looking at the service it provides for millions of others. Millions that rely on the BBC , that don’t have streaming services or can’t afford Sky etc

BBC provides a vast array of differing programs at a fraction of the cost to most - everything from sport to drama , to documentaries etc and each one high quality. Netflix doesn’t provide the same level of service nor does Disney or Apple or Discovery etc - Sky can but costs you minimum 10 times the price plus a dish and extra equipment and it’s still a struggle for some in remote areas

If BBC became a service that people choose to pay for then it would lose millions in revenue meaning the quality would drop meaning many millions would lose out

Now some may not care about those people anymore or may not have cared about them in the first place but there will be plenty that do

We all know that when people claim they don’t watch anything they will still have watched some programs on BBC over the 12 months or indeed reruns of something - whether that be live or highlights of Football , rugby , atheltics , olympics , World Cup etc or master chef , top gear , apprentice, strictly , or Dr Who , Line of Duty , Luther , Happy Valley - Planet earth , The Office, Peaky Blinders etc - the list is endless

The BBC still make some of the best shows and most popular shows that can be seen
100% with you on every point. Most BBC bashers do seem to view the BBC and it’s funding mechanism through the lens of their own self TV viewing interest, when it provides so much more of great value than simply TV; and so much more of value to a very wide and varied consuming demographic. It’s not perfect by any means but long live the BBC.

Swango1980

Visit site

The BBC spunked nearly all their sports money on highlights of English football, when all they needed was maybe 20 mill for the Open for eg. Instead hundreds of millions to re-cover what Sky are already doing. Priorities absolutely skewed. They could easily outbid Sky for Rugby League, SPFL, Cricket, but because of the former they are done. Dreadful.
I suspect Match of the Day would be much more popular amongst the general.population than the Open for one weekend.

I suspect there would be many more complaints if everyone needed a Sky subscription to watch the football highlights?

RichA

Visit site
BBC is OK.
Freeview is OK.

All other telly is too expensive.

Its all merely "stuff on the box" to me.

I like Channel 4 news. Seven o'clock is a more convenient time for me to switch on the box.
If I bother to watch the news at all anymore it's usually ITN News At 10. BBC News contains quite a bit of opinion and speculation these days. I just like to hear the facts.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is always funny when the defund the bbc brigade thinks that beebs only runs Channel 1 & 2, no advertisement etc. just like the NHS, if you view it from the outside, it has so many layers and so many different service which would not exist if it was a pure commercial setup.. website, Sounds, language service etc. while we think it is left wing, half the world thinks it as a beacon of truthful reporting.

As someone recently, if you don’t like the BBC or the NHS, you should pay more and go elsewhere (private)..

D

Deleted member 15344

The Premier League Highlights package i believe is the most watched of the regular sporting programs ( outside the major events like World Cup ) - it’s prob more viewers than what those other events will get and other a longer period - I don’t think it’s a case of Prem Lge highlights or other sports

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would actually watch Channel 4 news rather than BBC if it was on at 6pm (but each to their own timings).

I still like BBC news for the regional programmes though.
In many ways I prefer Channel 4 news to others simply because it’s interviewers are not afraid to interrogate quite forensically and persistently those being interviewed, and is less inclined than the BBC to give equal airtime to views that are either those of a very small minority or are generally discredited.

D

Deleted member 18121

As someone recently, if you don’t like the BBC or the NHS, you should pay more and go elsewhere (private)..

You've exactly hit the nail on the head, couldn't agree more. However, I do pay more to go elsewhere privately, but I'm still forced to pay for something I don't want.... So I can watch the things I do want.

For me, it should be a choice.... I would happily give up all BBC services if the choice was given to me.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is always funny when the defund the bbc brigade thinks that beebs only runs Channel 1 & 2, no advertisement etc. just like the NHS, if you view it from the outside, it has so many layers and so many different service which would not exist if it was a pure commercial setup.. website, Sounds, language service etc. while we think it is left wing, half the world thinks it as a beacon of truthful reporting.

Problem here is that it's not one or the other. And this is the rub for many.

If I choose to pay private health care (which I do via my ltd co) I still have to pay taxes that fund the NHS regardless as to whether I will use it or not. So paying twice.

BBC is the same. This is not a "BBC Good/BBC Bad" post, I don't care either way. But I am in favour of people having choices and one of those choices is whether to pay for the BBC as a service.