Banditry of the highest order.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Same the world over, always some bloke off 20 shooting a nett 50's round.

I disagree with the word 'always'. Every comp? Nah!

But it ain't going to be a Cat 1 player that does it, that's for sure!

'18 handicapper' shooting 3 over on Gullane 3 in the morning then 3 over on Gullane 2 in the afternoon. Now that WAS banditry!

Last edited:

morgs

Club Champion
Visit site
hi gary

i did it a few weeks ago when i won a weekend comp at mine.....26 points on front 9......HALF GAME OF MY LIFE.....7 PARS....1 BOGEY...1 DOUBLE...3 OVER.[/QUOTE

Just looked back at my old scores for my previous club and especially the comp where i shot an 81 playing off 26.7 at the time. Was curious to see what points i scored for the back nine at it worked out to be 27. Never has and most probably never will be repeated again.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I played in a comp at ECCLESTON PARK about nine years ago and had 26 points on the front nine,i was playing well but to be honest it is an easy course,on the tenth tee we were joined by a committee member who said some people had heard my score and he was obliged to join our group as a bystander,after I told him of my discussed and the other 2 players also vented their anger he followed us for the back nine,i won the comp with a 46 points total,at the prize giving I told them of my utter discussed and down right cheek to accuse me of cheating after nine holes,i also told them that the original top prize had been changed from the one published and they were a gang of crooks,never been back since.

Times change and the course is completely different now. I have been a member for 2 years and the only issue with comps now is the same people getting the early tee times every week. I think comps should be drawn or at least put up mid week to make it fairer.

Maybe pop down for a knock one day...........

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Times change and the course is completely different now. I have been a member for 2 years and the only issue with comps now is the same people getting the early tee times every week. I think comps should be drawn or at least put up mid week to make it fairer.

Maybe pop down for a knock one day...........
i will take you up on the invite in the next week or two thanks,if you ask around some of the older members will remember the committee that ran the club and how they seemed to win a lot of trophys.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I ran a society event at Pine Ridge a few years ago where the winner scored 48 points. And the guy who came second with 47 was calling him a bandit to all and sundry.

He was awarded a special "kettle" "pot black" trophy.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I shot 82 on Sat net 63 42 pts. Second place was 35 points.

I dont class myself as a bandit I just had a very good day. It does happen you know :thup:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
medal at my place last weekend, winner shot 89 gross his handicap is/was 28, giving him a net 61, css on the day was 71

Speaking as someone who would be around a 28 myself if I had a proper handicap it can happen.

I have shot an gross 83 once, and also have shot a gross 113 (and the rest I suspect) as well. Some people are consistently crap, some people are consistently good, some are mostly good with the odd shocker thrown in and some (which is me) are mostly crap but on the odd occasion can put a good round together.

My mates joke a bit saying I am like the French rugby team in that they don't know what version of me will turn up. I used to feel a bit guilty about very occasioanlly shooting in the low 90s off a handicap in the high 20s, but as those days are quite rare it doesn't bother me.

gryffindor

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I ran a society event at Pine Ridge a few years ago where the winner scored 48 points. And the guy who came second with 47 was calling him a bandit to all and sundry.

He was awarded a special "kettle" "pot black" trophy.

Pine Ridge can do funny things. Played in a Society three years ago and won with a gross 73 off a 14 handicap (and I double bogeyed the 18th - never again will I have such an easy chance for a scratch round and blow it!)

Akie

Head Pro
Visit site
Unless you have played with someone on a couple of occasions its hard to call them a bandit for one round that ends up with a score in the high 40's in a stableford.

Jay Gee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was called a bandit by the 2nd or 3rd tee during the medal on Sunday. Told him to wait till the end of the round before jumping to conclusions and I came in with a score of 113. That showed him! :)