Ban for Justin Thomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traminator

Visit site
remember when Tiger said “I played like a word that rhymes with jazz”

Apology worked for him so same should apply here
I was undecided whether to post this, but as you've mentioned it, I was playing terrible one day about a month ago and out of nowhere called myself the full version of that...

I was a bit horrified to be honest and apologised to the guys I was with, one of them just laughed and said, "no, you're playing worse than one" ?

It happens, we get angry and stupid things are said and done, he'll just have to make sure he's more careful next time he leaves it 5 foot short... ?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Prejudices, get over yourself.
He said one word to himself, apologised and snowflakes like you start branding around your over the top nanny state crap.

Wow.

Don't think there was anything in Kaz's post that deserved that level of abuse. The only thing that is 'over the top' is your response.

Leftitshort

Visit site
Wow.

Don't think there was anything in Kaz's post that deserved that level of abuse. The only thing that is 'over the top' is your response.
It’s clearly not an appropriate word to use, his apology seems sincere.
It’s an insult that has no place in today’s society so there is no defence

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I note that the Daily Mail states that Thomas "shouted the word in fury" whereas other media outlets merely describe it as Thomas "uttering" the word which was picked up by microphones. I've seen the video and can confirm that the Mail is wrong.
I can't believe that the Mail would do such a thing! :LOL:

MrGrumtastic

Visit site
I guess the time I called myself a (Mod Edit) when I left a 6 foot putt short should see me banned from all sport forever. Similarly comments from playing partners of "does your wife play" when you leave a short putt short of the hole....does that really mean they are out and out sexists? No, in exactly the same way that I'm not a homophobe.
So you're happy to imply that homesexuals are inferior to you, but you're not a homophobe? And similarly, your playing partners are happy to suggest that a female would be less strong, but they're not sexist?
I'm not for a moment suggesting that you would ever purposely say something derogatory to someone, but those are just examples of everyday prejudice that a lot of people think are ok.
I've fallen foul when making a similar comment myself in front of a man I didn't know was gay. I was absolutely mortified when I found out as I didn't think of myself as homophobic, but didn't appreciate that all those little comments build up and do matter. Needless to say, I haven't made any such comment in any company since.

Last edited by a moderator:

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My take on bad words or names.

All they are is just a sound your mouth makes by passing over your mouth and tongue. They are air.

If people want to be offended by them and hurt etc

Then all you have done is give the victory to the person that uttered it in the first place.

You have essentially conceded.

There are really bad, nasty and pretty horrific things that happen in life. Things and injustices that warrant absolute disgust and condemnation.

Bad words are not one of them.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I guess the time I called myself (Mod Edit) when I left a 6 foot putt short should see me banned from all sport forever. Similarly comments from playing partners of "does your wife play" when you leave a short putt short of the hole....does that really mean they are out and out sexists? No, in exactly the same way that I'm not a homophobe.

Yes the f****t word is particularly perjorative and given its origin in the US its use coming from a US golfer couldn't be mistaken for one of the other common meanings. However he has apologised, fine him, ban him for a tournament, whatever, and then move on.

I note that the Daily Mail states that Thomas "shouted the word in fury" whereas other media outlets merely describe it as Thomas "uttering" the word which was picked up by microphones. I've seen the video and can confirm that the Mail is wrong.

No one is suggesting he should be banned for life.

There is also a difference between you using a homophobic slur when you are on the course with a couple of mates, and JT doing it live on TV with potentially millions watching including kids. These guys have a responsibility to behave in an acceptable manner.

A token fine doesn't send the right message, chucking him out of the tournament would.

Last edited by a moderator:
Visit site
Difficult this one.
On the one hand my father would be commenting, something like, "for goodness sake, we didn't worry about remarks like that in Bergen Belsen camp", (where he was with REME clearing up the devastating horror). Father had no patience for folk who criticised petty slips of the tongue such as this.
On the other hand, these are professional sportsmen, who's managers ensure that they conduct themselves at all times with good P.R.in mind.
As it has now made the public domain, I would think a one tournament ban would send the correct message to all the golfers.
We are living in 2021, not 1945. The world has changed.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
No one is suggesting he should be banned for life.

There is also a difference between you using a homophobic slur when you are on the course with a couple of mates, and JT doing it live on TV with potentially millions watching including kids. These guys have a responsibility to behave in an acceptable manner.

A token fine doesn't send the right message, chucking him out of the tournament would.
im Sorry there cant be a difference ,
a homophobic slur in any company intended to insult or demean any other person is wrong and not acceptable under any circumstances

. A mistaken comment, while not correct needs to be seen as silly ..

Location or company means nothing .. intent is what matters .

Just my opinion

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
im Sorry there cant be a difference ,
a homophobic slur in any company intended to insult or demean any other person is wrong and not acceptable under any circumstances

. A mistaken comment, while not correct needs to be seen as silly ..

Location or company means nothing .. intent is what matters .

Just my opinion

Fair enough. I wasn't saying that either is acceptable, I was trying to make the point that in terms of impact, JT's behaviour is far worse than someone making a similar comment playing with their mates. Trying to make that comparison in order to excuse JT doesn't hold water.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why? Why are sportsmen (and women) meant to be examples of any sort? They are just good at a particular totally unimportant and irrelevant game. Golfers, roll models? For what exactly?

Like it or not, kids look up to sports stars and ape their behaviour.

This is why the likes of Grealish or Kyle Walker should be made an example of when they break lockdown rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.