Ban for Justin Thomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I just wish someone would tell everyone what words we cant use as and when someone is newly offended. It's very difficult to keep up given that I'm now ancient and have heard all these words for many many years and watched TV programmes and films for 60+ years where it was ok to use the expressions that now require immediate sackings for any utterance.

D

Deleted member 18588

Like it or not, kids look up to sports stars and ape their behaviour.

This is why the likes of Grealish or Kyle Walker should be made an example of when they break lockdown rules.

Kids may imitate their onfield or on course antics but it is ludicrous to believe that they also copy the other behaviour or regard those sports people as life rather than sporting role models.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Do we know what it was he said?

He said the word F***** which is also the word for a meat ball eaten in the UK.

On a side note, that's his swear word that just got bleated out? considering the other words you could have used that's what came out.

For me it's a sanction - he shouldn't be saying that.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
There was a huge list of words used to insult someone when I was younger, probably still is but different ones. These are carried forward into adult life and are sometimes used inadvertently by me to have a go at myself for doing something I really should have been able to avoid. The word JT used is an Americanism and falls into the same category as the ones I use. Just because of what it's linked to, some are up in arms. He used it as an expletive, against himself. That's all.
Well that's what I think.

D

Deleted member 1147

I just wish someone would tell everyone what words we cant use as and when someone is newly offended. It's very difficult to keep up given that I'm now ancient and have heard all these words for many many years and watched TV programmes and films for 60+ years where it was ok to use the expressions that now require immediate sackings for any utterance.
Maybe a new thread, where we can all list which words we find offensive?

I’ll start: none of them ?

D

Deleted member 1147

I wouldn’t be surprised if that isn’t what Charlie Woods calls him when they are playing each other ?

Leftitshort

Visit site
Looking at the responses I don’t think a golf forum is the right place for an objective appraisal on what is acceptable or not. I’ve used the word in the JT context or to abuse a straight mate. Both of which were wrong. I wouldn’t do this anymore.
there are loads of alternatives, why use one that’s a pejorative insult?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just think people (on this post too) are just so sensitive and on standby to be offended. What makes it more crazy is they're not even offended for themselves. They are offended for another group. I know plenty of gay people and they hate all this pc culture because they feel like people walk on egg shells around them.

Whilst I agree it's not appropriate to say things like this on TV I just feel sorry for people that life their lives on the offended train. It's must be so tiring living a life like this. They also have very few friends too

D

Deleted Member 1156

In 30 years words like gammon will be a strict no-no!

Mandofred

Visit site
I've been known to swear on the course......and that I can think of, none of them actually have anything to do with what the words actually infer.

(Mod Edit Examples removed)

I can go on......swear/insulting words are used in ways totally different from what they actually mean.

I have been known to just make noises.....jump up and down like a little baby.....insult Communists (I don't know any).....

Last edited by a moderator:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree with all the anti-snowflake content. If he used it in a meaningful way aimed at someone to cause offence in a sexual or racist way, then he deserves all that is coming and that attitude is absolutely unnacceptable. It is totally clear he did not and apologised stratight away. There are way more important things to get worried about and as soon as all the snowflakes accept this the better - including and not limitied to catgorising anyone who is anti BLM as racist, which is symptomatic of the dandruff movement, who cannot accept any criticism against anything that is a minority position in any way.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
So you're happy to imply that homesexuals are inferior to you, but you're not a homophobe? And similarly, your playing partners are happy to suggest that a female would be less strong, but they're not sexist?
I'm not for a moment suggesting that you would ever purposely say something derogatory to someone, but those are just examples of everyday prejudice that a lot of people think are ok.
I've fallen foul when making a similar comment myself in front of a man I didn't know was gay. I was absolutely mortified when I found out as I didn't think of myself as homophobic, but didn't appreciate that all those little comments build up and do matter. Needless to say, I haven't made any such comment in any company since.

Your points are fair, I guess that in most folks minds there is still a world of difference between telling a joke about and Englishman, Scotsman and Irishman and overt racism, difference between telling jokes about women and overt sexism, difference between telling jokes about gay people and homophobia etc etc. I'm happy to admit that I'm not perfect in that respect but then again neither are 99% of people I know (not that that makes me right!). I understand my faults as a human and am therefore willing to be less judgemental of actions such as JT's (apart from his stupidity at doing it during a live broadcast event) and put them into context compared to my own actions. I know I'm wrong...I know JT was wrong.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Before Fragger gets here..remember that *****'d out swear words can get you into trouble....
This has been a public service announcement

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Fair enough. I wasn't saying that either is acceptable, I was trying to make the point that in terms of impact, JT's behaviour is far worse than someone making a similar comment playing with their mates. Trying to make that comparison in order to excuse JT doesn't hold water.

I wasn't excusing JT. I said he should be fined, banned, whatever punishment seems fit.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's crazy how a sport's man says one word under his breath and is getting this treatment yet Jimmy Car and other commedians can appear on tv and full on abuse a group of people and its funny!!! I bet the people moaning about JT have watched and laughed at said jokes. Why? Because it's all about INTENT

Status
Not open for further replies.