Ban for Justin Thomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Guys I am aware that the subject of the thread is sweary words
Please we do not need you to publish examples

Swearing is banned on here as is disguising swear words with asterisks etc, so please refrain

Thank you

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I read this topic and gave it some thought before replying. I'm inclined to call myself an idiot or pratt or similar (which Fragger may not like so...) and why? Because I've messed up and I'm insulting myself by picking a term I feel is describing/comparing someone (myself) as inferior/derogatory. So when he berates himself he's done the same and, for me, the only conclusion imo is he thinks homosexuals (and not meatballs) are inferior.

The only comparison I can come up with is, when I miss an easy putt I don't say "you idiot Amanda" rather I say "you LGBT Amanda" - which is beyond wrong. Why would I even go there in my head unless that principle is there to start with.

I don't think I've explained that at all well but I know what I mean :oops:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I just think people (on this post too) are just so sensitive and on standby to be offended. What makes it more crazy is they're not even offended for themselves. They are offended for another group. I know plenty of gay people and they hate all this pc culture because they feel like people walk on egg shells around them.

Whilst I agree it's not appropriate to say things like this on TV I just feel sorry for people that life their lives on the offended train. It's must be so tiring living a life like this. They also have very few friends too
They think it makes them good people because they’re offended.
It’s like a competition at times who is the most offended.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think it's reasonable that he gets a certain amount of censure for this. Although it's directed at himself, he's using "homosexual" as a pejorative, and in the context of having done something that particularly upset him.
Best to stick to body parts and animals.
Speaking of which, i occasionally play with someone who's cuss-phrase of choice is "pigstits", which combines the two in a way which I have never encountered elsewhere.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
So you're happy to imply that homesexuals are inferior to you, but you're not a homophobe? And similarly, your playing partners are happy to suggest that a female would be less strong, but they're not sexist?
I'm not for a moment suggesting that you would ever purposely say something derogatory to someone, but those are just examples of everyday prejudice that a lot of people think are ok.
I've fallen foul when making a similar comment myself in front of a man I didn't know was gay. I was absolutely mortified when I found out as I didn't think of myself as homophobic, but didn't appreciate that all those little comments build up and do matter. Needless to say, I haven't made any such comment in any company since.

I agree re your first point and that it’s wrong to inference someone is inferior. But quite simply, on Average yes women aren’t as strong as men. It isn’t sexist to say that, nor does it mean people think they are inferior.

That’s half the issue imo, people making things sound worse than they are.

D

Deleted member 27823

Interesting and illuminating thread.

Amazing the reaction a gay golf fan can get for saying she thinks less of a golfer who used a homophobic slur.

Special shout out to the guy moaning about people being offended on behalf of others and then thinking he can speak on behalf of the LGBT community 'cos he has a couple of gay pals. :ROFLMAO:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I read this topic and gave it some thought before replying. I'm inclined to call myself an idiot or pratt or similar (which Fragger may not like so...) and why? Because I've messed up and I'm insulting myself by picking a term I feel is describing/comparing someone (myself) as inferior/derogatory. So when he berates himself he's done the same and, for me, the only conclusion imo is he thinks homosexuals (and not meatballs) are inferior.

The only comparison I can come up with is, when I miss an easy putt I don't say "you idiot Amanda" rather I say "you LGBT Amanda" - which is beyond wrong. Why would I even go there in my head unless that principle is there to start with.

If he’d said LGBT id agree, but he used a term that was probably common place when he grew up as simply an insult without the ramifications it has now.
I don’t believe in any higher being, yet will often decry Jesus Christ when something happens, that doesn’t make me a believer all of a sudden.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

No I think you have, and sadly I am part of a generation that would use it as a derogatory term, when in reality it is not and sexual orientation has no impact to the quality of shot ... being a useless donut however does. So yes he said it but for me I hope he has learnt his lesson and realises that actually there are more applicable things to call him self which don’t offend others. I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt but if he holds these views then I would say we have a long way to go before this disappears from our society.

Leftitshort

Visit site
Interesting and illuminating thread.

Amazing the reaction a gay golf fan can get for saying she thinks less of a golfer who used a homophobic slur.

Special shout out to the guy moaning about people being offended on behalf of others and then thinking he can speak on behalf of the LGBT community 'cos he has a couple of gay pals. :ROFLMAO:
seems the majority think you’re making it up for attention!!!
The old ‘some of my best friends are black/gay etc etc (delete as appropriate)
forums done itself proud today

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Agree with all the anti-snowflake content. If he used it in a meaningful way aimed at someone to cause offence in a sexual or racist way, then he deserves all that is coming and that attitude is absolutely unnacceptable. It is totally clear he did not and apologised stratight away. There are way more important things to get worried about and as soon as all the snowflakes accept this the better - including and not limitied to catgorising anyone who is anti BLM as racist, which is symptomatic of the dandruff movement, who cannot accept any criticism against anything that is a minority position in any way.

What is he used the "N" word but didn't mean it?

Leftitshort

Visit site
If he’d said LGBT id agree, but he used a term that was probably common place when he grew up as simply an insult without the ramifications it has now.
I don’t believe in any higher being, yet will often decry Jesus Christ when something happens, that doesn’t make me a believer all of a sudden.
Why do you want to justify this by using false equivalence? it either shows a lack of understanding or lack of caring imo

Status
Not open for further replies.