Justin Thomas makes a stand

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sure we don't hear half of what goes on in on the PGA tour. I'm positive broadcasters filter out a lot of the fan 'interaction'.

I can't remember where it was but at one of the tournaments last year you could clearly hear a group of american fans just behind Justin Rose when he was in a bunker giving him right verbals, and I mean proper abuse, and trying to put him off. During his practice swings they were shouting to put him off because they thought he was about to hit the ball.

The broadcaster realised what they were doing and cut the sound from that mic and no one said anything about it in commentary.

Didn't see what happened with JT but fair play to him if he stood up to unacceptable behaviour.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Really?

Like almost all the golfers of the last 25 years he doesn't come across as being blessed with the most effusive of personalities but, when interviewed, he seems to be quite polite and willing to answer questions.

from what ive seen of him he acted like a spoilt child

when ever ive seen golf in the US the crowns always appear a bit rowdy. Maybe that could be something to do with the way USA players behave during the Ryder Cup, like charging a round shouting like lunatics. its little wonder fans copy this over the top behavior at times.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

from what ive seen of him he acted like a spoilt child

when ever ive seen golf in the US the crowns always appear a bit rowdy. Maybe that could be something to do with the way USA players behave during the Ryder Cup, like charging a round shouting like lunatics. its little wonder fans copy this over the top behavior at times.

And, of course, the European players are always so reserved. I mean you have never seen any of them screaming "C'mon!" when they sink a putter or hole a chip shot.

I agree about American galleries but I don't think their behaviour can be attributed to the players.

The behaviour of some Brits (judging by the accents) at both Celtic Manor and Gleneagles left a lot to be desired.

Much of this is, I believe, down to the overblown hype now surrounding the Ryder Cup.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Agree, the Ryder cup is a different beast and a little unfair to our friends across the pond to put that all at their door.

Interesting though reading a few bits suggested JT has been given quite a hard time over this in the US. Just on the after shot shout it maybe seemed ott but seemed like maybe there was more prior to hitting.

I think in an interview he mentioned being in a group with Rory when he had someone ejected.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Hmmm...Kiawah Island Ryder Cup is where is began if I remember correctly, and it was the USA players that started all that carry on. Anyway, the Ryder Cup aside, it's not acceptable in golf, it's what sets golf apart from other sports and it should be dealt with but like all things, you get away with it and it becomes the norm, they, the authorities have left it too late and as someone said, try that at Augusta in a few weeks time, see how long you last.

D

Deleted member 15344

It is amusing that they complain about what the crowds shout and how they act yet when it comes to the waste management on the 16th is it they actively encorage the football crowd behaviour- it’s going to keep spilling over from that event onto other events

The Ryder Cup - well that’s a different animal , at times it has got very nasty with plenty people who have been thrown out especially over in the US where it goes a bit too far - but overall the players know it’s coming and 99% it’s good natured and the players love to get all hyped up and into it

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Why should he happily put up with idiots constantly shouting rubbish at him? The bloke that got kicked out had been shouting at JT for a few holes and the "get in the bunker" on impact was just the straw that broke the camels back.

Maybe because he is a professional sportsman in the entertainment business who is performing for the paying public.
If he is not mentally strong enough to cope with spectator comments, which were not mid swing, he shouldn't be there in my view. Man up and cope like every other professional sportsman.

What would the likes of the late Cyrille Regis (RIP) think about this "incident" when he had to deal with hostile racist abuse and bananas being thrown at him in the 70's.

D

Deleted member 18588

Just like schoolkids when the behaviour of Ryder Cup galleries is brought up it's always "They started it."

Most on here don't seem to be old enough to have been there but I can assure you that the behaviour of the home support at The Belfry in both '85 & '89 was far from spotless. Particularly the latter event.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bababooey is my particular favourite, always raises a smile.:angry: Quite like JT as a player but he does have that dipping habit that DJ, Duffner and others have and can often be seen gobbing out on the course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You have events like Waste Management and people see it on TV and could assume its the norm. You get the idiots that drink too much on the day, and want to be heard on TV. Augusta has the right idea. Chuck them out and ban them for life

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
To get themselves heard on the TV. "Get in the hole" and "You're the man" are too obvious now so to get noticed they started shouting stupid things so they can tell everyone, did you hear me shout "mashed potato" etc etc..

They could at least try and be classy, maybe shout "Jacket Tatey" or "Neeps n' Tatties" :D