Justin Thomas makes a stand

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
And fair play to him.
Justin Thomas gets specator ejected
But why aren't the stewards doing more to stop this happening?
The Powers-that-be in golf seem reluctant to do any positive action to stop the moronic shouting that goes on at golf tournaments these days and so we have now progressed beyond the shouts of "get in the hole" (from a 500 yard tee shot!), "mashed potao" and all the other moronic cries to abusing players. This is what happens if you don't nip this in the bud.
What is great about golf, certainly in the UK, is the respectful way that specators behave on the course. I understand it's worse in the USA and we had the incident last week of a spectator shouting in the middle of a putting stroke (article).
I would like to think that the golfing powers would take action on this but I just feel they haven't the bottle or will to challenge this or the awful slow play issues.

Last edited:

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
In my opinion, it's absolutely unacceptable for this kind of behaviour at a golf tournament and they've needed to do something about it for far too long now.

And this is the issue I have with the Phoenix open. People watch it on TV and think that they can behave like this at every tour event. They can't, or more to the point, they shouldn't be allowed to.

I am sick of hearing stupid shouts from the crowd so i can imagine how irritating it must be for the players.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like Justin Thomas and the way he attacks when playing. This only makes me like him more, love it that he got the moron ejected.

D

Deleted member 16999

If you’re going to allow people to enjoy copious amounts of alcohol at sporting events then you run the risk of daft behaviour.
Maybe the events are willing to run the risk of a few bad apples for a few extra dollars.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
A bit rich coming from him, when he couldn't be bothered to shout FORE on the 12th during the second round at the Honda Classic before his ball struck a spectator on the head.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do people shout things like 'mashed potato' and 'ham and cheese'? Are they meant to mean something? Or are these people just hungry?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A bit rich coming from him, when he couldn't be bothered to shout FORE on the 12th during the second round at the Honda Classic before his ball struck a spectator on the head.

Thats right and the spectator was very lucky he wasn't hurt more, heard nothing more about the incident , there will be a day when someone will get seriously hurt, whilst it might be hard to hear a shout from tee box it shouldn't excuse players from shouting.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Massive overreaction on his part, IMO. Nothing offensive was shouted, it didn't happen before or during his swing, only when the ball was in the air. If the shout had been "get in the hole" would he have been upset? No.

If the stewarding was stricter and they were clamping down on any sort of shouting that would be one thing (and also something to debate the merits of) but a player getting a paying customer ejected just for rooting against him? Too much.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Why do people shout things like 'mashed potato' and 'ham and cheese'? Are they meant to mean something? Or are these people just hungry?

To get themselves heard on the TV. "Get in the hole" and "You're the man" are too obvious now so to get noticed they started shouting stupid things so they can tell everyone, did you hear me shout "mashed potato" etc etc..

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Thats right and the spectator was very lucky he wasn't hurt more, heard nothing more about the incident , there will be a day when someone will get seriously hurt, whilst it might be hard to hear a shout from tee box it shouldn't excuse players from shouting.
To be honest this is another thing the authorities should be clamping down on, but don't.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Massive overreaction on his part, IMO. Nothing offensive was shouted, it didn't happen before or during his swing, only when the ball was in the air. If the shout had been "get in the hole" would he have been upset? No.

If the stewarding was stricter and they were clamping down on any sort of shouting that would be one thing (and also something to debate the merits of) but a player getting a paying customer ejected just for rooting against him? Too much.

I agree. He struggled with the crowd at the Phoenix, will be interesting in France fir Ryder cup. Wonder if our fans will step it up after the last one.....

Also, He's had his own temper tantrums on the course so can't really play the etiquette card imo

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I agree. He struggled with the crowd at the Phoenix, will be interesting in France fir Ryder cup. Wonder if our fans will step it up after the last one.....

Also, He's had his own temper tantrums on the course so can't really play the etiquette card imo

Agree, TBH he seems a bit of a knob.

D

Deleted member 18588

Agree, TBH he seems a bit of a knob.

Really?

Like almost all the golfers of the last 25 years he doesn't come across as being blessed with the most effusive of personalities but, when interviewed, he seems to be quite polite and willing to answer questions.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I quite like Thomas, plays at a refreshing pace, attacks the golf course, speaks well when interviewed

Why should he take a guy having a go at him before hitting shots and then shouting out as he hits his shot. As has been said, whilst most shout after the ball has been hit several shout too early, why should they have to put up with that. Is it too much to ask for a bit of respect from fans or would people rather a baying football crowd abusing players as they see fit?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
JT's awesome - some of NLU's best podcasts have been with JT, seems like a good guy.

Why should he happily put up with idiots constantly shouting rubbish at him? The bloke that got kicked out had been shouting at JT for a few holes and the "get in the bunker" on impact was just the straw that broke the camels back. Think JT was completely within his rights to get him kicked out, there's no place for behaviour like that at a golf tournament. Just because the other players are happy to put up with it, doesn't mean JT should, good on him for making a stand.