Custom Fit Bad vs Good (Long Rant)

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Before anything, Sorry for the long rant.

Do certain stores that fit you for a set of clubs with a ‘free fitting service’ actually have any care for what they spec you or do they just hazard a guess from you hitting a few balls with 1 club?

Reason I ask is a few years back I got custom fit, I was tremendously excited, picked them up and played my first round. I had zero penetration it was just airborne, they launched far and distance was great but dispersion was terrible they never felt as good as my previous set which were just off the shelf Mizuno T-Zoids I had from 13 up to 22 when I got fit for Titliest AP2’s. They were nothing like the simulator results in the store (Not American Golf, a small reputable store that I trusted).

I fell out of love with golf not long after as I was disheartened.

Fast forward to now, I had a lesson with a professional and I asked to have a fitting with a range of Titleist Irons we covered absolutely everything it was worlds apart from the service I’d previously received, it also concluded that I only needed 1/2 inch longer shafts and I needed X Flex Shafts over stiff. We covered and analysed everything. Picking up many different specs to my previous fit and being baffled by some of the choices. I didn’t know better then and assumed custom fit was going to sort me out and to put faith in the fitter.

So Has custom fit moved on tremendously over the past 7 years due to technological advances or were my original fitters just lazy and pretend fitting me?. We never went into half of the stats and details I covered recently but I trusted their judgement as at the time I was just a young lad and they were ‘professiknals’ in my mind at least.

I picked up some MB’s over the weekend fit to my specification and all I can say is WOW. What a difference.

Initially I was short with them but I’ve never felt so confident in knowing where the ball is going. I was having to hit a club more initially but was stiffing anything under 150 yards. I’ve hit around 400 balls this weekend and I’ve pulled my distance back up and beyond that of the AP2’s.

I was urged not to consider CB or MB’s by the original fitter too and never even hit either just aP1’s and Ap2’s ( I wanted titleist) and advised for stiff shafts, even though I was probably a more consistent ball striker back then not to mention with a slightly faster swing speed. Looking back I probably would have been better buying some random clubs off eBay and just using them, it couldn’t have hurt my game anymore.

Clean slate now though and a few more lessons and practice before I hand in my 3 cards to regain a fresh handicap as mine has expired after my golfing break.

Last round with AP2’s was 84, I hit most fairways but didn’t have great feel around the greens but most shots lost were from huge pulls into danger even from <150.

I have played two rounds with the MB’s and shot 74 and 75, I need to regain my ‘feel’ around the greens but I have never hit so many GIR.

it just goes to show what a proper fitting by someone who actually has a passion for their job does. Half of these stores fitting you it’s a formality and you’re another number, never again.

3 Shots all tightly grouped, all similar flight path and trajectory. You only see one shot but you can see the 2 previous shot paths on the screen. I hit 100 balls tonight and if I wasn’t so satisfied i’d Of been bored every shot exactly the same minus a couple slightly off the bottom that lost 5 yards or so.

I was off 8 previously, fine off tee, brilliant around the greens but constantly in danger with iron play barely hitting any GIR I was a scrambler. I’m excited to see what i can do now I have some confidence in my irons and only wish I had this fitting experience all those years ago when I was much younger. Hi

sorry for the long post, it’s a bit of a revelation for me and given me a new lease of life to this sport I almost quit for good out of frustration.

just a quick video which shows the consistency with the MB 5 Iron I have now. I wish I had a comparison video of the Poorly fit AP2’s which destroyed my confidence in iron play. With crazy dispersion most likely because of clubs far too long for me in the wrong flex and lie.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GZsBN5hF4zo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/GZsBN5hF4zo

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Custom fit technology has advanced leaps and bounds in the last few years - without doubt
The quality of launch monitors has improved, the understanding of fitters has improved and fitting techniques have improved.
The only real downside of custom fit is the numpty holding the club.
Unless you have either a very repeatable swing or you get fitted over 2 or 3 sessions, you are at the mercy of the swing you bring on the day.
That's not to say that a single fitting won't produce the goods however...

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Custom fit technology has advanced leaps and bounds in the last few years - without doubt
The quality of launch monitors has improved, the understanding of fitters has improved and fitting techniques have improved.
The only real downside of custom fit is the numpty holding the club.
Unless you have either a very repeatable swing or you get fitted over 2 or 3 sessions, you are at the mercy of the swing you bring on the day.
That's not to say that a single fitting won't produce the goods however...

Imurg nailed it IMO. Only other thing I'd add, from friends who worked at a couple of different stores (different companies), is that they deliberately push certain brands and models, even specs. Either to clear stock or because those brands are the most profitable or bring the most commission.

No suprise if you've walked into said stores and being given the hard sell on something as simple as gloves or balls!

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Great to hear that it’s worked out for you in the end. Custom fitting is a funny thing - if you don’t have a fairly consistent swing, I can’t see how it could really help. If you’re hitting the ball consistently though and *you go to a decent fitter,* it can clearly get a lot of shots off your game. And even then, you might go there and have a massive off day.

Where did you get your recent fitting?

I have to say that I’m interested in trying out some more bladed style clubs, just purely so I know what they feel like. I’m off 12 and so I think simple logic says I’m not good enough for them, but I really think that there is more to it then just looking at a handicap.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Great to hear that it’s worked out for you in the end. Custom fitting is a funny thing - if you don’t have a fairly consistent swing, I can’t see how it could really help. If you’re hitting the ball consistently though and *you go to a decent fitter,* it can clearly get a lot of shots off your game. And even then, you might go there and have a massive off day.

Where did you get your recent fitting?

I have to say that I’m interested in trying out some more bladed style clubs, just purely so I know what they feel like. I’m off 12 and so I think simple logic says I’m not good enough for them, but I really think that there is more to it then just looking at a handicap.

I got fitted at Oakmere in the midlands.

All I can say is try them, they may not be for you but you'll not know until you try.

I feel so confident with them already granted it's only been 3 days and I've hit probably over 600 balls with them. Took some getting used to the big change in shafts, grip and club length but they just feel right at address and they focus my mind on trusting my swing and striking the ball pure.

My trajectory is brilliant with these now, previously I'd float anything in from under 150 yards so high and left I had no confidence of attacking pins.

These are another level though, little cuts, little draws, low stingers etc. I have the confidence and can actually now visualise the shot I want to hit which I couldn't do before like i do with these. Maybe it's placebo, maybe its confidence I don't know but I'd play MB's over any CB or more forgiving option.

Previously a 9 iron would be about 150 yards with the AP2's but as said obscenely high they felt like more could (and did) go wrong just because of the launch angle. I feel much more in control of these. There a little shorter maybe half a club but I feel now anything under 150 I have much more chance of getting up and down and dispersion is very good.

As in the video above , 5 irons are now landing a couple yards from each other same path every shot, not previously they ballooned some pulled lots, some pulled little it was very frustrating.

Give them a go, you never know.

[video=youtube;GZsBN5hF4zo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZsBN5hF4zo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited: