Ball lands past water hazzard then spins back in

scubascuba3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Today i hit a shot that went over the water hazard (yellow stakes) on to the green then spins back into the hazard. We wasn't sure whether you could do a drop (a) the side where it went over the hazard or (b) before the hazard. We opted for (b) but i have a feeling (a) may be the right option as the ball passed the hazard then span back. Which one was correct?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The rule says 'the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard'

And from what you say, the last point is quite clear to me. But that is simply my strict reading of the rule as written - no caveats.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Today i hit a shot that went over the water hazard (yellow stakes) on to the green then spins back into the hazard. We wasn't sure whether you could do a drop (a) the side where it went over the hazard or (b) before the hazard. We opted for (b) but i have a feeling (a) may be the right option as the ball passed the hazard then span back. Which one was correct?

You did well to opt for (b). If you look at rule 26-1b, you are told you have to drop a ball behind the water hazard, i.e. on the side opposite the green.. That means you are always going to have a bit of the hazard between where you drop and the green.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You must also drop on the 'flagline'. ie the line from the hole, through the point at which the ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard, as far back on the course as you like.

In your case the 'last point' is on the green side of the WH not the tee side.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
See image.

Ball hit from A, lands at B, and ends in hazard at C.

D is where it last crossed the margin of the hazard so line D-E is where you can drop behind the hazard - ie keeping hazard between you & green
xxxyyy.jpg

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Your post wasn't clear whether the ball landed above the margin and rolled back across it or not, This sketch shows how it plays out in either case. in either case you drop on the tee side but the reference point for the drop line (blue lines) will be different depending.
margin2.JPG

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your post wasn't clear whether the ball landed above the margin and rolled back across it or not, This sketch shows how it plays out in either case. in either case you drop on the tee side but the reference point for the drop line (blue lines) will be different depending.
View attachment 21119

Hmmm...

If you're referring to original post, I think the bit about it being on the green before spinning back was fairly clear about landing above the margin :)

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
View attachment 21119

He said it landed on the green, which is unlikely to be in the hazard

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I asked this question the other week, if I remember rightly the answer was drop the ball far side of the pond away from the green. Until someone asks what colour the stakes were. They were red. In that instance the ball can be dropped green side as long as the ball is no nearer the hole. Again though the ball went around the banking and rolled into the pond without actually going over the water.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
He did.....and he's wrong......

Technically but as it spun back into the water it would be as good a marker where it crossed the hazzard as anything else..
to then drop behind that point in line with flag would either be IN the water or back before the water , i think (apologies to Bob if in wrong ) he was making it simpler to understand

scubascuba3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was hoping a drop not nearer the hole green side would be allowed, a shame it isn't as it seems a fairer option. I hear that in this current process of simplifying the rules they may be making all water hazards lateral, so a drop green side would be allowed. I'd be ok with that.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was hoping a drop not nearer the hole green side would be allowed, a shame it isn't as it seems a fairer option. I hear that in this current process of simplifying the rules they may be making all water hazards lateral, so a drop green side would be allowed. I'd be ok with that.
It would be simpler if the relief was always behind the water or back to where you last hit. Lateral water hazards make it more complicated.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Since when was golf fair?! You should always be made to have to hit it over a water hazard yourself rather than get away with drop (imo) which is the case for yellow stakes.