Ball going miles....

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Obviously with the good weather and firm fairways the ball is travelling a lot further than normal but even through the air.

Today I had 199 to the pin on a par 5, 5 iron went 25 past the pin. Next hole, 144 to pin, pitching wedge, pitch mark was about 5 feet short of the flag, so that's 143 with a pitching wedge carry, my trackman stats said my PW is about 125 carry. Last hole, 160 uphill to pin, 9 iron carried on to green and through the back, 137 carry with my 9 on trackman.

Now I'm not the longest player out there but not the shortest either but these carry distances just now are crazy long, does thinner warmer air effect the ball that much ?? I expect that in the warm states in the US but up here in Jockland :mmm:

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was playing a week or so ago, my usual drive is about 250 carry rolling out to 260-270.

I miss hit one, straight but a crap ball flight and got a low spinner, it measured at 334 yards, simply because the ground was so hard.

Must have only carried about 200-220.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Balls are optimised to perform at 70°F.
Anything below this and you start to lose distance.
Over 70° doesn't make much difference.
The difference will come from thinner air, free swinging due to fewer layers, things like that.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Time of year to land them short.

I do know this feeling, if you play often enough the change might be gradual but my rounds can be months apart.

Nomad golfers suffer double worse as we usually don’t play often enough to know our distances.

The only solution is to play to land short and run on. At least then you won’t go over the back and into trouble.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I noticed this last night playing ,the bounce I was getting on tee shots was massive the fairways are baked.I was playing a club shorter into everything also hit some of the biggest drives I’ve ever hit.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I noticed this on the weekend too. I'm an occasional player, so as above, perhaps don't notice gradual changes. I went down about two clubs with my irons, and got an extra 20-30 yards from my driver, some of that from carry, and some of that from hard baked fairways (on the rare occasion I hit one - still not much roll in the rough!).

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Ws on about this yesterday, I laid up yesterday with a five iron to avoid trouble and promptly smashed it 183 to the side of the green . Last hole knocked me 7 iron 160. That's not normal for me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had similar last weekend. 3rd hole, tee shot went into the rough on the left. Had just under 200 yards to the pin (197 on the GPS I think), and there's a ditch on the hole so I figured just take a 7 iron, get it up there safely and chip onto the green. I did catch it nice, but it absolutely flew, kicked on with a big bounce, rolled and rolled and ended up on the flipping green! I couldn't believe it. Normal 7 iron distance for me is about 155-160 odd.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have hard and fast fairways and hard and fast greens. I am probably getting about 40 yards extra with a good drive and having to remember to land the ball on the front edge if I want to stop the ball in the middle of the green.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Certainly helping scoring, guy at our track has been cut two shots in his past 3 rounds........wait for it.......plus 2 to plus 4 🤤

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Since we put in a fairway irrigation system ball roll out has reduced in the summer, particularly in the mornings when I like to play. On the bright side always hitting off decent grassy fairways all year round.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Obviously with the good weather and firm fairways the ball is travelling a lot further than normal but even through the air.

Today I had 199 to the pin on a par 5, 5 iron went 25 past the pin. Next hole, 144 to pin, pitching wedge, pitch mark was about 5 feet short of the flag, so that's 143 with a pitching wedge carry, my trackman stats said my PW is about 125 carry. Last hole, 160 uphill to pin, 9 iron carried on to green and through the back, 137 carry with my 9 on trackman.

Now I'm not the longest player out there but not the shortest either but these carry distances just now are crazy long, does thinner warmer air effect the ball that much ?? I expect that in the warm states in the US but up here in Jockland :mmm:

Even i'm hitting it forum distances ATM :smirk:, long may it continue :whoo:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
it is indeed, played a tie the other night and 7th (550) was a drive and an 8 iron... Downwind. 12th was drive & PW 444 yards slightly into a breeze

taking PW at the moment for shots of 150 ( with nothing to carry anyway) at the moment.

long may it continue, esp as i have a couple of Hickory matches next week

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've not played my course for a fortnight as we've had the Royal race meeting in town. Lots of members playing last night were complaining how fiery it has become so my next round should be interesting especially as the rough is now up ready for club champs in a few weeks. Going to be a challenge to keep it in play me thinks

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've not played my course for a fortnight as we've had the Royal race meeting in town. Lots of members playing last night were complaining how fiery it has become so my next round should be interesting especially as the rough is now up ready for club champs in a few weeks. Going to be a challenge to keep it in play me thinks

Interesting you mention clubs champs, as ours are on going at the moment and there has been the odd complaint that the greens were slower in the match play than they were at the weekend...."some" saying they should be speeded up...

So it has me thinking, surely the greens staff set the course up for the whole membership, not the chosen few who are good enough to compete at club champs level ??

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting you mention clubs champs, as ours are on going at the moment and there has been the odd complaint that the greens were slower in the match play than they were at the weekend...."some" saying they should be speeded up...

So it has me thinking, surely the greens staff set the course up for the whole membership, not the chosen few who are good enough to compete at club champs level ??

or you could have a club champs that is all inclusive for all of the membership with a nett prize on offer too, make it a whole club event, you know the type you belittle clubs down south for all the time?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
or you could have a club champs that is all inclusive for all of the membership with a nett prize on offer too, make it a whole club event, you know the type you belittle clubs down south for all the time?

eh ? nae idea what you're on about fella, move along if you've nothing to add to the topic.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had the same yesterday, on a 500 yard par 5 and was on the green with two 4 irons, which is certainly not normal. Baked.