Ball going miles....

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was through the back of a 460yd hole in 2 today if you can just hit straight the ball goes for miles! but as said, the down side is trying to stop balls on the greens

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
my place is fine. they water the crap out of the course. still using my pitch mark repairer. had a bit of a shock when i played beau destert yesterday. it was like a cricket pitch

D

Deleted member 23270

eh ? nae idea what you're on about fella, move along if you've nothing to add to the topic.

I understand what fundy is saying but not what you are saying. Were your greens normal speed for qualifying then slowed down for the matchplay or were they speeded up for qualifying then returned to normal for the matchplay stages?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
or you could have a club champs that is all inclusive for all of the membership with a nett prize on offer too, make it a whole club event, you know the type you belittle clubs down south for all the time?

i'd imagine there is a Handicap CC as well, the Scratch is the only thing there is a board for. Handicap there is a trophy, just not a board like the majority of clubs in Scotland

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I understand what fundy is saying but not what you are saying. Were your greens normal speed for qualifying then slowed down for the matchplay or were they speeded up for qualifying then returned to normal for the matchplay stages?

Greens have been lightening fast for weeks, come the matchplay, they were slower than they've been for weeks.

D

Deleted member 23270

Greens have been lightening fast for weeks, come the matchplay, they were slower than they've been for weeks.

Well in that case I don't understand your issue. The course played as normal for the majority of members when it mattered?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's not me that has the issue, it's others that were saying it should be set up a particular way, I'm of the opinion a green keeper should have the course playing for all not the few...

And we've crossed topics btw

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The ball certainly does seem to be going a lot further just now, helping me to an eagle putt and countless close birdie chances last night. And then my putting went to pot and didnt convert any of them! 🙈
Gotta love this game!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not me that has the issue, it's others that were saying it should be set up a particular way, I'm of the opinion a green keeper should have the course playing for all not the few...

And we've crossed topics btw

The problem ATM is the hot dry conditions, some courses will leave the greens a bit longer to protect them. And it does costs a mega bucks to water the course all the time to keep it constant .

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The problem ATM is the hot dry conditions, some courses will leave the greens a bit longer to protect them. And it does costs a mega bucks to water the course all the time to keep it constant .
Absolutely - keeping them mown to tight for the anticipated conditions would be the complete opposite to cabby's stated view; ie the green keepers are acting consistently with the interests of the membership as a whole.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Absolutely - keeping them mown to tight for the anticipated conditions would be the complete opposite to cabby's stated view; ie the green keepers are acting consistently with the interests of the membership as a whole.

Correct. I was up there on Monday and while the tees and fairways were brown the greens had been well watered. were green and receptive and had clearly not been mown too short. They were slower than recent weeks but were still a decent pace so I was happy with the set-up. I would hope most would be but no doubt some will find fault

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was a caught out a bit yesterday, a decision had obviously been taken to water the greens substantially more than we normally do. I Played shots allowing for land and run and got drop and stop.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was a caught out a bit yesterday, a decision had obviously been taken to water the greens substantially more than we normally do. I Played shots allowing for land and run and got drop and stop.

LOL, I was the same yesterday , green staff were watering the 7th green as i approached, so i assumed green would be a bit slower. I rattled my putt 10 foot passed, green keeper then said with a smirk we haven't done that half yet.:eek:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
LOL, I was the same yesterday , green staff were watering the 7th green as i approached, so i assumed green would be a bit slower. I rattled my putt 10 foot passed, green keeper then said with a smirk we haven't done that half yet.:eek:
🤦🏻*♂
:rofl:

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
or you could have a club champs that is all inclusive for all of the membership with a nett prize on offer too, make it a whole club event, you know the type you belittle clubs down south for all the time?

Weird, don't know any clubs in Scotland that don't have a handicap championship too, where does cabby play?

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Weird, don't know any clubs in Scotland that don't have a handicap championship too, where does cabby play?

We (Machrihanish) don't have a handicap championship. There's a handicap prize on offer for the lowest nett combined score over the first two rounds, and the same again for the lowest combined nett score in rounds three and four, but no overal handicap championship.