Ball flight law

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting clip on ball flight law. This sounds plausible and I would like to agree with the guy.

What do you think?

[video=youtube;Wnq6TiXw7wU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnq6TiXw7wU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
You make it sound as if only a few do understand the change in flight laws.
Every PGA pro who has qualified in the last 10 years min. knows them.

I guess Brian is highlighting that there's also quite a few people out there that dont know the ball flight law properly hence why I wanted an opinion on this clip. It sounded right as far as I could tell but now I know it to be correct. Thanks Both.

Now heres my second question, would you ever set up to the ball square to the target in your normal position, swing with your normal plane, with anything other than a square clubface? Is this something that /Pros/Cat1 golfers do to shape shots?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You make it sound as if only a few do understand the change in flight laws.
Every PGA pro who has qualified in the last 10 years min. knows them.

Bob,

I dont understand your point. Where did I suggest only a few understand the flight laws and where did I suggest qualified PGA Pros didnt understand them either?

The OP asked a question on whether others thought the guy in the video was correct. I thought he was. and knew of another video that was good.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bob,

I dont understand your point. Where did I suggest only a few understand the flight laws and where did I suggest qualified PGA Pros didnt understand them either?

The OP asked a question on whether others thought the guy in the video was correct. I thought he was. and knew of another video that was good.

To back Bob up I think you have misunderstood him. I think it was a general statement that he has made. People post on here showing different people that they have found, like they have found a pot of gold. Sometimes it sounds like people are saying that many Pros do not actually understand this.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You said

It just sounded as if you had hunted high and low and finally found someone else who knew the new rules.

In that case Bob you just dont understand me, I dont operate that way and frankly I'm a little dissapointed that you think I do. The video I showed was by Sam Goulden who is an instructor I like and find much of what he teaches is in line with my own thinking, especially on the square to plane clubface in the swing. If you would like to take a look here is his web site: http://samgouldengolf.com/

MadAdey,

I dont believe I did misunderstand Bob, his point was directed at me.

I dont argue that the British PGA teach the correct ball flight laws, I just get surprised at the number of PGA qualified Pros that still seem to teach the incorrect methods of ball shaping. Maybe some of them didnt understand the lesson, maybe had their own ideas on the subject. Who knows.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Now heres my second question, would you ever set up to the ball square to the target in your normal position, swing with your normal plane, with anything other than a square clubface? Is this something that /Pros/Cat1 golfers do to shape shots?

The ball will start off in the direction you point your clubface. If you are hitting a straight shot then that would be right. If you want the ball to start off to the right or left and turn back then you would setup with the club pointing left or right by the appropriate amount.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
The "old ball laws" guys were wrong

The "new ball flight" guys are also wrong

When someone published laws that actually take into account the nature (and time) of the collision with the ball, instead of presuming it is a perfectly elastic and rigid collision, then these "new" laws are probably just as (in)accurate as the old ones.

What do the new ball flight laws say about a club face that closes during the collision on a "fade" shot, and conversely one that opens durnig the collision on a draw ?

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I have seen the light .....................................................:eek:ne:

all hail the might Snelly for he hast spoken (on a previous thread) and what he has spoken is truth.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The "old ball laws" guys were wrong

The "new ball flight" guys are also wrong

When someone published laws that actually take into account the nature (and time) of the collision with the ball, instead of presuming it is a perfectly elastic and rigid collision, then these "new" laws are probably just as (in)accurate as the old ones.

What do the new ball flight laws say about a club face that closes during the collision on a "fade" shot, and conversely one that opens durnig the collision on a draw ?

The answer is 'It dosent' The clubface is in contact with the ball for around 6 milliseconds at impact, how can it be opening or closing in that time. Forget any mumbo jumbo of rotating the clubface through impact. The clubface can hit square or be cutting across, nothing else.

It does not matter a hoot what anyone thinks about ballflight laws, all that matters is what works and the high speed camera can show us exactly what happens with differing impact conditions. It is no longer a black art.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Sawtooth, he's kind of right but isn't allowing for the fact that we hit irons on the way down (then take a divot) however the principle is correct. To hit a straight shot we can't do it just lining everything up square.

Bobmac,
Quite a sweeping statement (again) that all pros know the ballflight laws... once again here is Mark Crossfield getting it wrong..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbsK-sCcRKQ the in-to-out ISN'T what starts the ball to the right.

Socket Rocket,
Interesting vid... love the part when he demonstrates the push-draw and practically slices it!! (I can do that!) :D

here's a screenshot if it works...

oops.jpg

Shows how hard it must be :whistle:

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bobmac,
Quite a sweeping statement (again) that all pros know the ballflight laws...

I did not say that.
Once again James

"Every PGA pro who has qualified in the last 10 years min. knows them".

To be a qualified PGA Pro you must pass ALL modules of the syllabus.
And that includes a large section on the ball flight laws.
If you get that wrong, you dont pass.Simple.
So my sweeping statement is correct.
If you want to be really fussy, is this better?

""Every PGA pro who has qualified in the last 10 years min. knew them on the day of his/her exam."

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think he was hitting a push but gets a bit out of sync with his explanation.

I think the explaination was OK (which is the point of the vid)... he just didn't produce the shot, I just happened to think it was pretty funny (rather like someone teaching you to hit round a tree as it clonks the trunk and nearly takes their head off, ala Poulter).

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bobmac,
Quite a sweeping statement (again) that all pros know the ballflight laws... once again here is Mark Crossfield getting it wrong..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbsK-sCcRKQ the in-to-out ISN'T what starts the ball to the right

I've watched the vid. I think he has it right and youve misunderstood his words? From my watching he says get an in to out path going right of target and at the same time have the club head left of this path but right of target. Which in effect is correct isn't it? I didn't hear anything about the clubpath setting the ball direction?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've watched the vid. I think he has it right and youve misunderstood his words? From my watching he says get an in to out path going right of target and at the same time have the club head left of this path but right of target. Which in effect is correct isn't it? I didn't hear anything about the clubpath setting the ball direction?

I dont believe is is explaining it correct. He says hit out to the right which is OK but he says aim the clubface at the target then close the face as it swings down. This will point the face even more left of target. In fact if you look at the ball take off it takes off just left of target then looks like it starts hooking.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont believe is is explaining it correct. He says hit out to the right which is OK but he says aim the clubface at the target then close the face as it swings down. This will point the face even more left of target. In fact if you look at the ball take off it takes off just left of target then looks like it starts hooking.

OK i missed the bit about clubface at target. I couldn't see the ball flight on my device!