Basic driver high ball flight question

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Managed to be more consistent with my driver. The last 2 or 3 rounds I've hit the ball well off the tee but my drives are going high, higher than I've hit them before. I'm using either a pink or orange tee and still both high ball flight. I'm not a massive hitter and the ball is going around the same distance as my better drives when I was more inconsistent. I'd like to think that having a lower ball flight may get me 15/20 more yards.

Any advice and what basically causes a high ball flight?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What do you think you've changed to become more consistent?

Because I've always hit a fade I've tried to correct it by doing the wrong thing and it's always got worse, obviously. I had a lesson before Xmas and now stand more square to the ball rather than at an angle to try counter act the fade. Also rather than coming back inside I'm now aiming to have a 3/4 swing where I feel like I'm pulling the club back slower and out rather up, round and try get back to the ball!! (Trying to describe it the best I can ?)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Because I've always hit a fade I've tried to correct it by doing the wrong thing and it's always got worse, obviously. I had a lesson before Xmas and now stand more square to the ball rather than at an angle to try counter act the fade. Also rather than coming back inside I'm now aiming to have a 3/4 swing where I feel like I'm pulling the club back slower and out rather up, round and try get back to the ball!! (Trying to describe it the best I can ?)
Your drives will be high for one of two reasons:

1) You are hitting down on the ball, this gets the ball high on the clubface which launches it high but with a high spin rate that reduces carry.

2) You are hitting up on the ball which creates a high launch but with a lower spin rate that gives a good carry.

No 2) is the best method but you want to try and catch the ball in the middle of the clubface for best results.