Ball Advice for high handicapper

Bassfisher

Visit site
I’m returning to the game with a vengeance and determination this time, I just want to play golf! So far it’s going well( lot of thanks to this forum, a great place to pick up really useful info), last week I shot 93, my best ever!
Q: I now want to practice, practice, practice my short game incl putting. I’d like recommendations on suitable balls for this so that I can learn to feel my green shots and control them, but balls that would suit my not 100% 3 wood? My thought is to buy two dozen and to solely use them? Thoughts please guys...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A lot will be down to feel.
Do you like a harder ball or a softer one?
Short game control is, mostly, a piece of cake at this time of year as greens and surrounds are soft.
A mid range ball will perform similarly to a premium one around the greens now but in 4-5 months time it will be a different kettle of fish.
Work from the green to the tee
Find balls you like putting with, narrow it down again to balls you like to chip with, then pitch with, then full approach shots and then the tee.
If you've still got 2 balls in your hand, pick the one you like best.
There are 3 main types of ball...Budget, Mid range and Premium.
In each level there is little difference that we mortals can discern
Try as many as you can - hunting in the rough at driving distance can be a good source of a variety of balls.

Bassfisher

Visit site
That’s a really interesting response , made me think!
So the three main types of ball; budget, mid range and premium ,I guess the price will be the clue? I didn’t know that, but does it follow then that the more you pay then the more feel that you get, more grip and it will also offer distance? The cheapest balls being the other end of the scale ?
Are the most expensive balls only suitable for a player that can really work them?
Thank you for the advise, I guess I’ll be trying a variety a learn to feel and appreciate the difference.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
For the course (or courses) you regularly play, do you lose many - one option is decide how much (cost per ball) you are prepared to lose.
It is sensible to pick a ball and stick with it for a bit as you'll adjust to how it performs and start to form opinions. But you can switch around within similar types also.

For basics, observe the cover type (typically surlyn or urethane), the number of pieces, and the compression.

A premium might be 4 piece, high compression, urethane.

Some people like to play the same ball all year. I'm currently happily using a 2 piece surlyn, and will likely move up the expense scale as the season and weather improves - there is no right answer.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Some fairly decent ball can be found with deals. I've just ordered 48 Srixon Z Star "over run" balls for under £25 a dozen. I'm not concerned that they have a logo on and, for me, they are a decent "all round" ball and close enough to Pro v1s at a fraction of the price.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Start with Srixon AD333 and work from there. They are a very good mid range ball.

A cheaper way of testing balls is to get some second hand ones from one of the sellers on a golf selling page on Facebook. Some will make up a collection of different balls if you asked them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I always practice with the same type of ball that I play with. This is important when it comes to short game practice.
The big difference between lots of balls is the level of spin particularly greenside spin and different balls can travel different distances on the putting green with the same putt.

Find the ball you like then buy practice grade lake balls from ebay or similar site.

Around a practice green there are 2 piece balls that will spin as well as premium ball but they will perform differently off a club with little loft such as a driver.

The basic choice is 2 piece or 3 or more piece balls. The latter give the better trade off between spin and distance.

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Im an high handicapper slowly improving, been playing around 12 months now
Ive tried a few different balls, best for me because they have a soft feel of the club face are the, wilson dx soft and slazenger v300, ive tried more expensive ones but i feel the two ive named are just as good for me, and cheaper

Bassfisher

Visit site
Absolutely fascinating replies, as a novice this is gold to me and I appreciate it!
Moving on, I have bought 24 Srixon soft feel , grade A pickups from eBay, my plan is to use these as abase model and to compare others against them, I’m thinking that this will help me to create that golf ball ‘feel’.
Please keep up with the replies it’s a great read !

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Absolutely fascinating replies, as a novice this is gold to me and I appreciate it!
Moving on, I have bought 24 Srixon soft feel , grade A pickups from eBay, my plan is to use these as abase model and to compare others against them, I’m thinking that this will help me to create that golf ball ‘feel’.
Ill like the soft feels to, i just lose too many so thats why i buy the wilsons or the slazenger v300, all very similar if your not a brand snob.
And the slazengers are approx £20 for 48 balls

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Good choice.

If I ever went back to playing 2 piece balls one I would consider.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
At this moment in time ball choice is going to have zero impact on your game. Just buy a job lot of used budget balls Like a Wilson dx2 and focus your attention on things that actually make a difference. Such as lessons and practice.

Bassfisher

Visit site
At this moment in time ball choice is going to have zero impact on your game. Just buy a job lot of used budget balls Like a Wilson dx2 and focus your attention on things that actually make a difference. Such as lessons and practice.
Hi, Yes I’m on a programme lessons and practice, I’m interested in the balls so that I can develop in that direction too, I’d like to be practicing with one type of ball, occasionally trying other odd types so that I’ll be able to understand how the different balls can add/take away from my game

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi, Yes I’m on a programme lessons and practice, I’m interested in the balls so that I can develop in that direction too, I’d like to be practicing with one type of ball, occasionally trying other odd types so that I’ll be able to understand how the different balls can add/take away from my game
In the nicest way. You're not good enough to see how a ball takes away or adds to your game. People mainly select a ball based on feel and control. Both of these are solely dependent on one thing...... And thats Strike. Even off 6 I can count on one hand how many times I "flush" a shot during a round.

There's nothing wrong with finding a ball you think you like and sticking with it. Its not going to hurt you game. However, I find it amusing when a high handicap golfer finds a tp5 on the course and chucks it to me saying "you can have that I only play z stars".
You've basically just found £3 on the floor and gave it away ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Until you are consistent then it's hard to know what a ball may or may not add to your game. A mid price ball like the AD333 or Soft Feel is a good starting point. Both are good all rounders and so there may be no need to deviate from those.

Bassfisher

Visit site
In the nicest way. You're not good enough to see how a ball takes away or adds to your game. People mainly select a ball based on feel and control. Both of these are solely dependent on one thing...... And thats Strike. Even off 6 I can count on one hand how many times I "flush" a shot during a round.

There's nothing wrong with finding a ball you think you like and sticking with it. Its not going to hurt you game. However, I find it amusing when a high handicap golfer finds a tp5 on the course and chucks it to me saying "you can have that I only play z stars".
You've basically just found £3 on the floor and gave it away ?
No offence taken! But seriously I get your points there. I’ve come to realise that to progress then I need to be structured and to have a program, ball selection and understanding is part of that , as you say it won’t hurt! By simply leaving my driver at home I shot the 93 instead of 103, So my plan ( or some of it) looks promising