Ball Advice for high handicapper

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You will NEVER "feel" the difference in golf balls.
Obviously some people reading this will get the hump because it goes against their "feel" myth, that's their perogative.

I will not get the hump just feel sorry for those who cannot tell the difference

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I will not get the hump just feel sorry for those who cannot tell the difference

Do what I do and experiment with an open mind.

Get your headphones on so you can't hear anything, then hit a whole load of different shots.
Your flogging a dead horse mate. They won't accept it. They'll claim to not like a ball because it's clicky or say a particular ball balloons on them. These statements are usually after they have hooked 2 in a row oob, thinned 3 through the green and 3 putted the last few greens

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
But using the same ball removes one element of inconsistency.

Until you can work out what groove the ball came out of, there really is no point.

I use a Truvis in winter so I can see it. And a pro v1x in summer because it generally stops quite fast. I could use a Dunlop all year and be fine.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do what I do and experiment with an open mind.

Get your headphones on so you can't hear anything, then hit a whole load of different shots.
Your flogging a dead horse mate. They won't accept it. They'll claim to not like a ball because it's clicky or say a particular ball balloons on them. These statements are usually after they have hooked 2 in a row oob, thinned 3 through the green and 3 putted the last few greens

Rather than quote my 30 + years of experience of trialling loads of different balls I would quote a 'survey'.

When Nike bought out the original RZN balls a very large number of players were given trial packs and asked to return comments about them open to anybody to view one of the most noticeable comment from nearly every person was how much they disliked the feel of the balls.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rather than quote my 30 + years of experience of trialling loads of different balls I would quote a 'survey'.

When Nike bought out the original RZN balls a very large number of players were given trial packs and asked to return comments about them open to anybody to view one of the most noticeable comment from nearly every person was how much they disliked the feel of the balls.
First of all nike balls especially early on where dreadful and almost all people hated them. However, does this effect score? The feeling might not be to your liking but enough to change what you put on a score card? I still have a few nike 20xi balls in my bag. When ever I hit one with my driver my pp hold his ears and says "f#@k me mate. That a nike ball again" ?. It still does what I want.

How much experience you have is irrelevant if you have always been closed minded about ball choice. Do what Traminator said "put on some headphones and hit some balls you think you don't like.
I'm not saying that you should play with ball that you don't like the sound or feel of (if that's your thing). I'm saying that the op is a high handicap golfer. All balls feel crap out the toe, heel and blade.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First of all nike balls especially early on where dreadful and almost all people hated them. However, does this effect score? The feeling might not be to your liking but enough to change what you put on a score card?

The RZN followed on from the Nike One Tours so good that even Tiger is reputed to have practiced with the Nike One Tour D (my favourite ball at the time)

"The feeling might not be to your liking but enough to change what you put on a score card?"

For me yes, simply because it puts a negative in to my head before I hit the shot.

I do not have a closed mind about the balls which is why I have trialled loads of different balls through the years and some have never made it past a few holes. Prime examples
Played the Callaway Chrome soft and it was my intended stock when my Bridgestones run out - bought 3 dozen of the Graphene version played one for 5 holes and resold the ones I bought, hated the feel of the strike with them particularly short game soft hits.

I played Bridgestone B330RXS for some years, shortly before they run out I bought a couple of boxes of the 2019 ball. Played one for 5 holes and the boxes have sat in the cupboard ever since for the same reason.

Spoon

Visit site
People will tell you that you won't be good enough to use anything other than cheap/found balls. That you won't notice the difference...

Personally, as someone who shoots in the low to mid 90's... I disagree. I decided when I started playing again to stick to one ball (mostly). That ball is a bridgestone e6. It's a good compromise of quality, performance (for my level) and price... Important when you're bound to lose some.

I think high handicappers using premium balls is a bit silly, but finding a ball you like is definitely of worth. I find I'm more confident using 'my ball' and I can definitely tell on short shots and putts the difference between, say my e6, and a slazenger pebble.

Most of this game is in your head, if using the same ball (whatever it is) breeds familiarity and confidence, your going to play better... Even if only marginally.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The RZN followed on from the Nike One Tours so good that even Tiger is reputed to have practiced with the Nike One Tour D (my favourite ball at the time)

"The feeling might not be to your liking but enough to change what you put on a score card?"

For me yes, simply because it puts a negative in to my head before I hit the shot.

I do not have a closed mind about the balls which is why I have trialled loads of different balls through the years and some have never made it past a few holes. Prime examples
Played the Callaway Chrome soft and it was my intended stock when my Bridgestones run out - bought 3 dozen of the Graphene version played one for 5 holes and resold the ones I bought, hated the feel of the strike with them particularly short game soft hits.

I played Bridgestone B330RXS for some years, shortly before they run out I bought a couple of boxes of the 2019 ball. Played one for 5 holes and the boxes have sat in the cupboard ever since for the same reason.
Tiger woods never played a nike ball. It was a Bridgestone dressed up.

If you're the type of golfer that hits a bad shot based on a sound then I feel for you. You are never going to change because you are too well cooked to change. Hopefully the op will read this and move forward not letting such nonsense get in the way of his golf and buy into this "ball battle" that fuels the industry. He'll save a fortune over the years on picked up balls.
When he becomes a ball striker then sure. He can fill his boots and make a decision. But until then let's get this crap out of his head and get on with becoming a better golfer first

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most of this game is in your head, if using the same ball (whatever it is) breeds familiarity and confidence, your going to play better... Even if only marginally.
Most of the game is not in your head at all. It's mostly about technique. The whole idea is not letting something silly like ball choice be a contributing factor to the mental side. If a golfer was told from day 1 that balls don't make a massive difference we wouldn't be having this conversation. We bread and manifest this nonsense ourselves

Spoon

Visit site
Respectfully disagree, but then I think it's one of those subjects- 5 golfers in the room, 6 opinions.

Each to thier own, whatever enables you to enjoy the game in the way you want is all good with me.

IanMcC

Visit site
Im with Spoon on this one. Using the same ball all the time eliminates something to worry about, whatever your own personal level of play. Golf is enough of a mental game for that to be a significant point.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've said for ages if you put a handicap golfer in a blind test they wouldn't be able to tell if it was a premium, mid-range or cheap ball or pick one brand for another. I've always though it would make a good article or online video

NearHull

Visit site
I have posted this before. When a local Titleist salesman visited our club for a sales day he laid out twenty or so of each type of Titleist ball on the putting green to try. He also gave out samples to members to try out on the course. After a good talk on the different qualities of each ball he answered questions. Inevitably the feel discussion came up. He suggested, in the nicest possible way, that whilst we can all hear the differences from types of balls on the putting green, there is not a club golfer who can feel any difference when striking the ball. I have to agree with him.

Bassfisher

Visit site
I have posted this before. When a local Titleist salesman visited our club for a sales day he laid out twenty or so of each type of Titleist ball on the putting green to try. He also gave out samples to members to try out on the course. After a good talk on the different qualities of each ball he answered questions. Inevitably the feel discussion came up. He suggested, in the nicest possible way, that whilst we can all hear the differences from types of balls on the putting green, there is not a club golfer who can feel any difference when striking the ball. I have to agree with him.
That’s very interesting, I wonder did
many members disagree with him ?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

Shocking Salesman tho :ROFLMAO:

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Can also depend on where you play. If it's a tight course surrounded by jungle it may be appropriate for a beginner not to pay too much for balls as they are only going to have a fairly short relationship with him. If it's an open resort type layout it may be longer. Thus I would suggest you find a type of ball that suits and feels OK initially and look for supply from various manufacturers / suppliers. As you improve you can narrow it down to your preferred option.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very tempted to do an unscientific experiment

As I can only hit off a mat into a net and so ball flight/distance etc won't be a factor I'm thinking of taking a section of balls

Titleist
Pro V
Tour Speed
Tour Soft

Srixon
Z Star
Q Star
AD333

Random
Pinnacle Gold
TP5
TM Soft Response

Plan is to cover markings with small slice of gorilla tape and get HID to give them to me in a random order and hit it two/three times and see if I can guess the and then the model. I don't think I'll be able to tell the difference on many if any. Sound might be a bigger clue than it coming off the clubface. Bottom line is I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference between many

evemccc

Visit site
Very tempted to do an unscientific experiment

As I can only hit off a mat into a net and so ball flight/distance etc won't be a factor I'm thinking of taking a section of balls

Titleist
Pro V
Tour Speed
Tour Soft

Srixon
Z Star
Q Star
AD333

Random
Pinnacle Gold
TP5
TM Soft Response

Plan is to cover markings with small slice of gorilla tape and get HID to give them to me in a random order and hit it two/three times and see if I can guess the and then the model. I don't think I'll be able to tell the difference on many if any. Sound might be a bigger clue than it coming off the clubface. Bottom line is I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference between many

Did you do this? Curious as to your findings..

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For the course (or courses) you regularly play, do you lose many - one option is decide how much (cost per ball) you are prepared to lose.
It is sensible to pick a ball and stick with it for a bit as you'll adjust to how it performs and start to form opinions. But you can switch around within similar types also.

For basics, observe the cover type (typically surlyn or urethane), the number of pieces, and the compression.

A premium might be 4 piece, high compression, urethane.

Some people like to play the same ball all year. I'm currently happily using a 2 piece surlyn, and will likely move up the expense scale as the season and weather improves - there is no right answer.

I used to play dx3 for exactly these reasons

Loved the feel of a 3piece ball but main brands we just so expensive, found a dx3 and really liked it and at that time o found a pro shop doing 3 doz for £30, 80p a ball.

Still got about 6 doz that I purchased at 38.00 for 3doz

Soft of the outside for putting and chipping, still pretty soft for short irons but doesn’t spin silly in the wind. Good ball all round

I’m going to list them in forsale section as I’ve got to super softs.