Chip n run

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't use a factory made chipper, but have a Ping Eye2 8-iron 3° upright that I cut down to 35" and regripped. I only use it with a putting stroke, so any decent lie within about 25 yards of the pin.
Total cost was about ÂŁ20 and it's the most reliable club in my bag.

That sounds great, but where on earth did you find a single 3 degree upright 8 iron

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
The problem with a chipper is most people only carry one.
What happens if the situation isn't ideal for that particular club?

that was essentially my question

how good is it from 20 yards, how good is it from 3 yards with little green to work with.

Not knocking it, because I would give anything to have a chipping game. I have tried so many techniques

RichA

Visit site
I don't fill my golf bag with fairway woods and hybrids and generally only carry about 10 clubs. There are usually 2 or 3 wedges in there too.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As with putting, I believe that you need to try different methods and work out what works for you. I’ve worked out that a more open stance than what I was shown makes it easier for me to get a consistent strike.

RichA

Visit site
that was essentially my question

how good is it from 20 yards, how good is it from 3 yards with little green to work with.

Not knocking it, because I would give anything to have a chipping game. I have tried so many techniques
It's great for any situation inside 25 yards but off the green, where you'd consider using your putter or hitting a bump and run with a hybrid or iron. You just have that bit more control around impact because you're using a putting stance and stroke.
If you're in the rough, you're still going to need to use a wedge.
It works for me because I'm a fairly standard bogey golfer so I just miss a lot of greens.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Have you tried my drill?
Try and hit it under the shaft and when you get it right, the ball will go over the shaft

A rule I've always used is my 7 iron will fly 1/3 and run 2/3. The PW is half and half

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Have you tried my drill?
Try and hit it under the shaft and when you get it right, the ball will go over the shaft

A rule I've always used is my 7 iron will fly 1/3 and run 2/3. The PW is half and half

I can't say I have tried your drill.

I have tried a myriad of techniques and drills, they all work for a while then the chunks and skulls return. It's just an area I have very little confidence

I shall give yours a go and report back

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I can't say I have tried your drill.

I have tried a myriad of techniques and drills, they all work for a while then the chunks and skulls return. It's just an area I have very little confidence

I shall give yours a go and report back
Note the high backswing and low follow through

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's great for any situation inside 25 yards but off the green, where you'd consider using your putter or hitting a bump and run with a hybrid or iron.
I can't agree I'm afraid.
It would depend on how much green you have to play with and the terrain/slopes

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A chipper is a good idea for a poor chipper.
but you must learn to use different clubs around the green to be a good golfer imo.
having an array of shots helps.
practice this instead of thrashing balls on the range.

Springveldt

Visit site
Mmm, it's funny isn't it, the different techniques people teach. In that Shiels video I just posted above, the coach specifically says to release the club and use more of the bounce - basically to stop driving the hands forward. Yet GG26's pro tells him to keep his hands forward. Horses for courses and all that. Silly game, golf. You can't really say there's a right and wrong way of doing things when even pros are teaching different methods.
I used to be one that tried to use the bounce but even on chips from just off the green with nothing in the way I'd sometimes get a bit flippy and pop it up, I found the run out to be really inconsistent. After watching my +2 mate use his 58 everywhere and having it have more run out than me using a 50 I started using the hands forward method as well. Now my chipping and run outs are much more consistent and I'm confident of getting up and down from anywhere around the green if there are no obstacles in my way.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

But how many of those “isn’t ideal” shots do you generally get in a round?
I know you don’t like chippers but for me you have to play the percentages.
With a chipper maybe what 75% 80% of chips are workable, then you have the odd ones where you’re short sided or need to get over a bunker. If you’ve had lessons and chipping just doesn’t click but this club helps massively I think you’re a fool not to use one, specially if it’s peer pressure or old school golf snobbery stopping you.
Btw I don’t own one but I would if I had room in my bag 👀🤣

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to be one that tried to use the bounce but even on chips from just off the green with nothing in the way I'd sometimes get a bit flippy and pop it up, I found the run out to be really inconsistent. After watching my +2 mate use his 58 everywhere and having it have more run out than me using a 50 I started using the hands forward method as well. Now my chipping and run outs are much more consistent and I'm confident of getting up and down from anywhere around the green if there are no obstacles in my way.
I find this method great in summer when the grass is nice and you get a good lie.
but not so good in winter Or summer bare lie.
so variety of shots is better I don’t rely on one shot.

RichA

Visit site
I can't agree I'm afraid.
It would depend on how much green you have to play with and the terrain/slopes
That is surely true of literally every golf shot with any club.
Using the same club for similar situations at least removes one variable and it works for me. I'm not evangelising.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I played with a couple of low handicappers the other week, both were using what looked like sand/lob wedges for every shot around the green. Funny how a lot of teaching pros say to chip and run but most low handicap golfers I’ve played with always use loft 🤔

RichA

Visit site
A chipper is a good idea for a poor chipper.
but you must learn to use different clubs around the green to be a good golfer imo.
having an array of shots helps.
practice this instead of thrashing balls on the range.
I just assumed that consistently taking fewer shots to get the ball in the hole defined how good a golfer is. Our scorecards only take numbers - not videos or descriptions.
Why assume that anyone who chooses to use a chipper is "thrashing balls on the range"?