Chip n run

sjw

Visit site
I used a slightly simplified rule of 12 the other week and it made a big difference. Rather than actually pace it out and do the division, I just eyeballed it and said, how many "parts" run to how many "parts" chip. The number of run "parts" is the number to take off 12. E.g. 3 yards chip and 12 parts run is 1:4. 12-4 is 8, so 8 iron. Not as precise as pacing it out, but very similar outcome and you can do it while walking to the green. Would highly recommend.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve also been practicing a dead arm pitch shot of up to 50 yards with my 58. With an slightly open face it stops really quickly
Do you have your hands behind the ball to use the bounce.?
I do and it’s almost impossible to duff it as the leading edge dosnt dig in.

I have no set club just land on the green to take inconsistent bounces out.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I used a slightly simplified rule of 12 the other week and it made a big difference. Rather than actually pace it out and do the division, I just eyeballed it and said, how many "parts" run to how many "parts" chip. The number of run "parts" is the number to take off 12. E.g. 3 yards chip and 12 parts run is 1:4. 12-4 is 8, so 8 iron. Not as precise as pacing it out, but very similar outcome and you can do it while walking to the green. Would highly recommend.
A mathematician in the house! I do it all by eye. Keep it very simple and your brain soon switches on to very good estimation but hey, I’d never knock something that works for someone else.

Jason.H

Visit site
Do you have your hands behind the ball to use the bounce.?
I do and it’s almost impossible to duff it as the leading edge dosnt dig in.

I have no set club just land on the green to take inconsistent bounces out.

Hands inline or slightly behind. A slight opening of the club promotes a touch more bounce.
Our approaches to the greens rarely give a straight bounce so better to land on the green where possible. I will bump and run if it’s a bad lie though.

Donn

Visit site
I use an old Don Martin Up-n-In bronze or copper chipper. About 7 iron loft, short shaft, narrow sole, no grooves. Many don't include one in the 14. But I bet that between your driver and 5 iron, you can delete one club to add a chipper. It is deadly accurate and easier to hit the distance, compared to the higher loft wedge method. Keep the ball closer to ground and get it rolling on the ground sooner. Many "experts" say to use a putter off the green whenever possible. This is close to being a putter, the lie angle is correct, you don't have to deal with a shaft that is too long for the type of stroke.

sjw

Visit site
I use an old Don Martin Up-n-In bronze or copper chipper. About 7 iron loft, short shaft, narrow sole, no grooves. Many don't include one in the 14. But I bet that between your driver and 5 iron, you can delete one club to add a chipper. It is deadly accurate and easier to hit the distance, compared to the higher loft wedge method. Keep the ball closer to ground and get it rolling on the ground sooner. Many "experts" say to use a putter off the green whenever possible. This is close to being a putter, the lie angle is correct, you don't have to deal with a shaft that is too long for the type of stroke.
I don't have anything currently between my driver and 5 iron! :p

Alan Clifford

Visit site
A mathematician in the house! I do it all by eye. Keep it very simple and your brain soon switches on to very good estimation but hey, I’d never knock something that works for someone else.
If I'd seen this rule of 12 when I started golf, I would have jumped on it like a thing to be jumped on. Stuff like this is how my brain wants to work. But I really surprise myself and use the Starwars method; I let the "force" guide me in how hard to hit it, usually with a 6 or 8 iron depending on the type and growth of grass. Generally, the only sort of calculation my conscious mind does is to establish the halfway point. On an uphill putt, the halfway point is further away than the physical halfway point.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
My experience is it takes about 6 or 7 rounds and a couple trips away to different courses, then you get a good sense of adjustments needed. Theres a few links courses the need this to be adapted to a "rule of 15" where nothing can be landed past half way!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Watched a good video on chipping last night, Rick Shiels having a lesson with a top short game coach. (It is an hour long, but for this thread I guess only the first part is relevant.)

Gave me a few ideas to work on this weekend. Last weekend the greens had quickened up and my chipping was woeful, just kept running everything through the back or too far. I'm going to try releasing the club a bit more as they say on that vid - maybe get a bit more height and less run out.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I am sorely tempted by a chipper, chipping has always been an issue for me. I can go a couple of rounds of chipping not too bad then a phase of chunking or skulling everything. Which as an 8 handicapper absolutely kills me.

My question is how far from the green (close and far) is a chipper useful. Obviously can't use it from thick rough or if needing to go over an obstacle but other than that is something you can use it most other situations?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a chipping lesson a month ago. In terms of results the best lesson I’ve had. I was trying to get the ball to land on the green as soon as possible and roll up, often using my 8-iron and nothing more lofted than my 50 gap wedge.

The pro had me primarily using my 54 & 58 wedges with my hands way ahead of the ball. The result is much more consistent chipping and more confidence around the greens.

RichA

Visit site
I am sorely tempted by a chipper, chipping has always been an issue for me. I can go a couple of rounds of chipping not too bad then a phase of chunking or skulling everything. Which as an 8 handicapper absolutely kills me.

My question is how far from the green (close and far) is a chipper useful. Obviously can't use it from thick rough or if needing to go over an obstacle but other than that is something you can use it most other situations?
I don't use a factory made chipper, but have a Ping Eye2 8-iron 3° upright that I cut down to 35" and regripped. I only use it with a putting stroke, so any decent lie within about 25 yards of the pin.
Total cost was about £20 and it's the most reliable club in my bag.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a chipping lesson a month ago. In terms of results the best lesson I’ve had. I was trying to get the ball to land on the green as soon as possible and roll up, often using my 8-iron and nothing more lofted than my 50 gap wedge.

The pro had me primarily using my 54 & 58 wedges with my hands way ahead of the ball. The result is much more consistent chipping and more confidence around the greens.

Ooooh Moogie would have a heart attack if he saw you removing the bounce off a wedge 🤣

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ooooh Moogie would have a heart attack if he saw you removing the bounce off a wedge 🤣
Mmm, it's funny isn't it, the different techniques people teach. In that Shiels video I just posted above, the coach specifically says to release the club and use more of the bounce - basically to stop driving the hands forward. Yet GG26's pro tells him to keep his hands forward. Horses for courses and all that. Silly game, golf. You can't really say there's a right and wrong way of doing things when even pros are teaching different methods.