Chip n run

Jason.H

Visit site
Decided to learn more in this area of my game. Today I went to the practice green with an idea measuring/pacing out chip shots.
Just used my 52 degree today and learned that with my slightly open club face, normal to me as using the bounce eliminates duffs/digging. My ball carries about 50% of the distance and rolls the other 50%.
I then played 18 holes and every green I took the ball off into the 1st cut and aimed to land halfway and I found it quite easy to do and the ball just rolled out as expected. Why didn’t I do this before?? I’d never really picked a spot but it just makes so much sense. I’ll do the same with my 58 and 48 degree wedges.
Ive got down to a low index but it’s these small areas that hopefully keep my progress in the right direction.

D

Deleted member 31467

2 schools of thought on this. 1 is to use the same club all the time but I prefer the other philosophy which is to land the ball on the green soon as possible and let it run to the hole. Your definition of chip and run is different to mine though, my interpretation is something like a 6 or 7 iron and running the ball all the way, links style (y)

Jason.H

Visit site
2 schools of thought on this. 1 is to use the same club all the time but I prefer the other philosophy which is to land the ball on the green soon as possible and let it run to the hole. Your definition of chip and run is different to mine though, my interpretation is something like a 6 or 7 iron and running the ball all the way, links style (y)
I normally use my 48 degree for the majority around our greens or my 58 if I’m short sided for a soft landing.
I only chose the 52 today as it was easy just to pick the halfway point being 50% carry and roll.
I played some links golf recently and it’s very different to my home course. I’d also put a 2 iron in the bag 😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use my PW for most chipping around the green these days. It's 41° so perfect loft for a short putter-like swing, land it just on the green and let it roll up. The PW being essentially an iron means it has plenty of bounce as well. Easiest way to chip, even a bad one you're always still putting.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I use my PW for most chipping around the green these days. It's 41° so perfect loft for a short putter-like swing, land it just on the green and let it roll up. The PW being essentially an iron means it has plenty of bounce as well. Easiest way to chip, even a bad one you're always still putting.
Similar for me when playing a chip-and-run - I like to use my Ping i10 8-iron that is 38d or a 7-iron in an older set that is also 38d.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Decided to learn more in this area of my game. Today I went to the practice green with an idea measuring/pacing out chip shots.
Just used my 52 degree today and learned that with my slightly open club face, normal to me as using the bounce eliminates duffs/digging. My ball carries about 50% of the distance and rolls the other 50%.
I then played 18 holes and every green I took the ball off into the 1st cut and aimed to land halfway and I found it quite easy to do and the ball just rolled out as expected. Why didn’t I do this before?? I’d never really picked a spot but it just makes so much sense. I’ll do the same with my 58 and 48 degree wedges.
Ive got down to a low index but it’s these small areas that hopefully keep my progress in the right direction.
Learning an 8 or a 9 for soggy fairways is always useful

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Not heard of a 41 degree PW, most are around 47 degrees
My 8 iron putts from the rough are legendary, chip n run is most effective at Ellesborough

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m in the middle of both. I use almost any club in the bag and figure out which one I’m using by where it will pitch and how much it will roll. It takes the pressure off just pitching on the front or having to be over creative with one club.

Once you’re used to chipping wedge, iron and wood/hybrid the estimating of the carry and roll is easy.

IJames

Visit site
I use whatever lands on the green and will roll to the hole - so 7i through GW. The halfway to pin club/shot is something to try though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not heard of a 41 degree PW, most are around 47 degrees
My 8 iron putts from the rough are legendary, chip n run is most effective at Ellesborough
Really? Vast majority of game improvement sets are like this. Even my old PW from my six year old set was 44 I think. 41 isn't even the strongest out there at the moment. (I'm not saying they're not stupidly strong, they are, but I put up with it because they're easy to hit 😂)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

There is a method developed for this kind of thing. You may need to adjust your own clubbing depending on the lofts of your clubs but it does work quite consistently.

Check out paul runyan if you want to see someone make the chip and run look effortless. Copying his style really simplified this shot for me.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Even "players" irons are maxing out at 45/46 these days..very few 47 or more..
But, as always, it doesn't matter what it says on the sole, it how far you hit it...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a method developed for this kind of thing. You may need to adjust your own clubbing depending on the lofts of your clubs but it does work quite consistently.

Check out paul runyan if you want to see someone make the chip and run look effortless. Copying his style really simplified this shot for me.
That does seem like a lot of maths to be doing and most of us left school a while ago. 😁

I respect the notion of chipping with different clubs, but I keep it a bit simpler than that myself and keep it to 3/4 clubs or options these days.
Normal chip and run: pitching wedge. Usually land it a yard or two on the green and it'll roll up.
If I'm close to the green but snagged in long grass: Hybrid. I hit basically a little punchy putting stroke with the hybrid and it pops out of the grass, hits the green and runs up with a bit of speed on it.
Need to chip over a mound or a bunker: tend to use the 50° for this, unless the pin is very tight to the side I'm on then it's necessary to use the 54°. I suppose these aren't really chip and runs though.

When I was a higher handicapper I used to chip and run with 8 iron, as it was easy to basically just use a putting stroke - bigger margin for error but as I got a bit better I actually found it was harder to gauge how much it would roll out, so I get a bit more control with the PW these days. (That said, my PW loft almost makes it the same as my old 9 iron anyway.)

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think the latest Ping G435 has a PW of around 41 degrees and so they offer a 45.5, 50, 54 and 58 to fill in the gaps. That what I was fitted for when my club had a Ping testing day recently.
Similar thing for me, I bought 6 to PW(41°) in my Rogue ST Max, and when I realised quite how strong they are, I went back and added the AW as well, which is 46°. I had an old Cleveland 46° but I prefer having the forgiveness of an iron at that point in the bag.

D

Deleted member 15344

How you chip will depend on multiple factors

1. How close you are to the green
2. The slopes and size of the green
3. How close the pin is

There are different ways and different clubs you can use

Some if close to the green prefer to use something like a 7 or 8 iron and then chip as if putting , that helps get the ball on the green quickly and then rolling out like a putt - that’s what most would say is a chip and run

If you have a bit more fringe or fairway before the green then use a club with a bit more loft to carry it onto the green

Another way is pitching the ball as close to the pin to take away any breaks or slopes and then getting it to stop a bit quicker - using a sw or Lw ( 54 degrees up ) will allow you to get the ball up the green more and hopefully stop a bit quicker

You could also use the good old texas wedge if you are close enough

Last edited by a moderator:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'll always chip n' run round the green where there's no obstacles (usually with 50 degree)

When I see someone going arial when there's nowt to clear (PM style) I look around for the TV cameras :p

Jason.H

Visit site
I’ve also been practicing a dead arm pitch shot of up to 50 yards with my 58. With an slightly open face it stops really quickly