Chip n run

Springveldt

Visit site
Yeah, my normal technique is quite rigid, upright PW, bit of a putting stroke. But as I mentioned, I was getting far too much roll on the faster greens last week, so I might try releasing the club a bit more.
Try the putting stroke with a 54 or 58 then. Have the heal of the club up off the ground a touch (so toe touching the ground) and just putt. It will be as easy as using your PW but won't get as much roll out. I've used that technique when I've just taken a 54 with me to the other side of the green but when I get there I've got a garbage lie that I don't want to use the hands forward technique for. Just go putting stroke, toe down, try to hit it more out of centre/toe area and the ball just releases out really easily.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just assumed that consistently taking fewer shots to get the ball in the hole defined how good a golfer is. Our scorecards only take numbers - not videos or descriptions.
Why assume that anyone who chooses to use a chipper is "thrashing balls on the range"?
Sorry I may of worded that badly.
I never assume anything.
but for every golfer I see practicing his chipping there’s lots more just thrashing driver on the range.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Have you tried my drill?
Try and hit it under the shaft and when you get it right, the ball will go over the shaft

A rule I've always used is my 7 iron will fly 1/3 and run 2/3. The PW is half and half
Hi Bob,

just managed to have a look at the videos, would I be right in saying that this isn't about technique i.e. weight on front foot, hands forward etc. But the feeling of trying to hit under the club on the basket. Presumably to get me being positive with the club and not decelerating and letting the loft do its thing rather than trying to get it up in the air myself

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Try the putting stroke with a 54 or 58 then. Have the heal of the club up off the ground a touch (so toe touching the ground) and just putt. It will be as easy as using your PW but won't get as much roll out. I've used that technique when I've just taken a 54 with me to the other side of the green but when I get there I've got a garbage lie that I don't want to use the hands forward technique for. Just go putting stroke, toe down, try to hit it more out of centre/toe area and the ball just releases out really easily.

Been 6 years since I've learnt about that raised handle chip. Really useful method. This was me the first day trying it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Bob,

just managed to have a look at the videos, would I be right in saying that this isn't about technique i.e. weight on front foot, hands forward etc. But the feeling of trying to hit under the club on the basket. Presumably to get me being positive with the club and not decelerating and letting the loft do its thing rather than trying to get it up in the air myself

The idea is to get you to do what you feel you have to do to hit the ball under the shaft without telling you how to do it.
The mechanics aren't learned, memorised and then put into practice, the subconscious just tells the body what to feel.
Yes, you're going to have the weight forward, hands forward and the loft will do the work but that's because of feel.
Imagine keeping the weight and hands back and trying to the ball low, it just wouldn't feel right.