Range Time/Ball Count

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
We’ve had this thread some time back (first result I found is 4 years old so to avoid anyone quoting posts from way back I’ll just start a new one)

I go at least a couple of times a week for a bucket of 55 balls, off grass. Takes about an hour plus some putting. Every 4 or so visits I’ll double up and hit 2 buckets especially if there was trouble with a club/s on my last round or I’m practicing at weekends with more time

I don’t think 55 balls is really enough, by the time I use half a dozen to loosen up that’s only about a dozen each for the (usually) 4 clubs I’ve taken and if things aren’t going great then a dozen doesn’t often fix it and then get a run of decent shots.
But at ‘peak’ I’ve hit over 1500 balls a month when the mood takes me (I pay green fees so my on-course practice costs money)

Time permitting I go to short game area for half an hour with the GW after hitting a bucket but that’s only once every couple of weeks and I should really do that more often because it’s a great area

You?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I rarely go to the driving range, I find it boring. It's just not golf for me. Don't get much out of hitting balls without a proper target or idea in mind. As mentioned in the shanking thread I sometimes hit it far worse on the range than I ever do on the course, simply because I need a target and need the shot to matter and have consequences I guess. Also with longer clubs I feel a bit restricted and claustrophobic on the range I think. On the rare occasions I do go - maybe with the wife if she's practising, or because I've bought a new club I want to try out - I can only get 50 balls out. 100 is far too many, after 60 or 70 I'm just bored and end up hacking them away to get rid of them. 50 balls would probably take me 30 to 40 minutes. Factoring in travel time I'd much rather just nip down my club and try and get 7 holes in or something.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I don’t use the range before a round. I’ll use a practice net or swing clubs to loosen up.

On the range for practice I’m similar. I’ll practice positions away from the range in the house and when hitting balls at the range I’ll take a bucket of 40 and hit about half on process shots with an iron and then half of what’s left I’ll hit driver to targets. The rest is pitching and chipping with my middle wedge

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I find 75 a nice number unless I’m working on something specific then 100 balls and a large Costa is fantastic.

I expect my range usage to massively increase this winter, im invested in 2023!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now that I am lot older I use the driving range about twice a year. Once I have 10 balls the rest get saved for next time.

There was a time when it was about 100 balls a day on the long game and another 200 on the short game (it was a time when use our own balls on the practice ground).

Springveldt

Visit site
I used to go once per week sometimes twice since the range was less than a mile from the office. I'd try and cram in 100 balls during lunchtime but I'd usually leave a few for the next person.
Haven't been since COVID though. I think I've made it to the practice area at my club around 4 times this season before I go out, I usually just don't have the time.
My "practice" all season has been to arrive 20 minutes before going out, spend 5 of those on the putting green mainly just hitting lag putts to different holes then hole out maybe 5 3 footers. Pay comp fees, hit 10 balls in the net, then hit around 10 chips on the chipping green next to the first tee. Finally swing my SuperSpeed sticks 3 times for each colour as hard as I can then tee off.

venger

Visit site
I usually hit one bucket of balls before each round I play in some desperate attempt to find a bit of rhythm. Doesn't always work.

CountLippe

Visit site
I think the general consensus these days is that its better to hit less shots, but with more preparation.

Personally, I either get bored or start striking it badly if i hit too many.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My trouble is I hit a few good ones with a club, think everything is great and then swap clubs. What I should do is play more balls with less clubs to get things better ingrained

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A choice of 50 or 100 at my local range
50 isn't enough a d 100 is bordering on too many
75/80 would be a good number and I'd get through them in about an hour..
Not that I go often....at £9 for 100 it's not a cheap hour.
And the only time I've been on our practice ground at the club is when I've sliced a ball onto it....

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I rarely use the range now. I had a spell one winter where I was hitting it so well (for me that is) on the range, but then failing to replicate it on the course. Turns out I was hitting behind the ball … the hard mat on concrete at the range allowed the club to carry on through and produce what seemed to be a good hit. However, on the course, the club was digging in before hitting the ball. I could use the range for driving practice, but I don’t see any real benefit in hitting a drive into a wide open space.

Mandofred

Visit site
I haven't used a range in years. The current club has a small practice area where I can hit my own balls out to about 170-190yds. Because of the limited space I don't hit that many balls....up to a shag bag (90). I don't mind the limited distance, but it's not very wide and if you hit on the left side the balls will roll down onto the 10 fairway. At one of my old clubs they had a lot more room and if I went to practice I would usually go through 2 bags, or about 180 balls.....and then do a little chipping and putting. Out of the 180, probably at least half would be wedges. Run up and down through the clubs never hitting the same one more than twice.