Back after a long break

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi All, used to browse here previously when I used to be a golf fanatic, following a back injury the clubs gathered dust for 2.5 years.

Recently went back to the driving range and hit a few hundred balls over a few week period before joining one of my local courses (Ramsdale)

I'm striking the ball really well but hitting a high pull with my iron shots. Previously I used to hit the ball high too, I had my irons (AP2 712'S) custom fitted a few years back on their release date and had a lovely ball flight but now I strike it great and i get good distance but the ball flight is just space bound. I hit on average my 9 iron 145 and my 7 iron 165-70 these have project X 6.00 (stiff shafts).

I mentioned the above when trying out drivers however they didn't have any irons with stiffer shafts to hand Is it possible that with a club with a stiffer shaft and more bladey help with my trajectory or do I need to change something?

I'm happy with my strikes so don't want to destroy my game. I do think I may be better suited to the MB 718's with maybe 6.5 shafts or equivalent? My swing has sped up considerably since having the AP2 irons fitted and in the back of my mind this could be the problem.

Any good iron shafts I should try for a low trajectory and x-stiff that won't break the bank too much?

After hitting some shots and trying different shafts and heads i've just acquired the following and the trajectory is much improved than on my R11S with Stiff Standard RIP shaft which also used to be space bound.

917 D2 8.5 Degree Driver with Fujikura Speeder 74 X Flex
917 F2 13.5 Degree Fairway Wood with Fujikura Speeder 84 X Flex

Any feedback/ experience very much welcomed.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are just getting back into Golf after a long break then maybe it’s too early to dive right into changing gear.

Settle back into the game over the winter and see where you are in the spring.

Changing things so early prevents you from really finding out what you need and sets a dangerous precedent. If things don’t work out after the change then you have to change again...

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
If you are just getting back into Golf after a long break then maybe it’s too early to dive right into changing gear.

Settle back into the game over the winter and see where you are in the spring.

Changing things so early prevents you from really finding out what you need and sets a dangerous precedent. If things don’t work out after the change then you have to change again...

I will be doing this for my irons and wedges, I won't be purchasing until next year but I am keen to see if it makes much difference. I'll only throw money away if i rush into buying so early on.

I think you should invest in a yak to help get you up the hill between the 9th and 10th! :D

Lovely little course is Ramsdale

It's quite a hike up there, i've only managed to play the front 9 due to playing late evening, I'm dreading the HILL.

X100s are always cheap and heavy, the real answer is to get one of the new AP2s from a fitting cart and try a few

Yes I'll have to try and get to a range when there in the local area and try a few.