Augusta - how much would you pay?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m sure we all have our limits on green fees, which is perfectly fine. I think I read somewhere that the visitors green fee is $40, but how much would you pay if given the opportunity to play Augusta?

Comparing it against the well known courses which charge hundreds, is it worth more than those?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I think this may split into 2 camps.

Those that think it is an over hyped average course with tricked up greens

And those that would pay big for the chance to walk where we've watched drama on TV

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I’m sure we all have our limits on green fees, which is perfectly fine. I think I read somewhere that the visitors green fee is $40, but how much would you pay if given the opportunity to play Augusta?

Comparing it against the well known courses which charge hundreds, is it worth more than those?

With all the stands and holes set up so i could recognise it. I'd go £1k (which i'm sure won't win) if it were a charity auction.
As a stand alone green fee, couple of hundred dollars maybe. From what i've seen of it, without the crowds and stands. It appears quite bland.

D

Deleted member 17920

I don’t think they have a guest fee as such.

I did play once with a customer of ours that had played it as a guest 7 times.

You are invited by the member and you stay overnight in the cabins. The invite comes either as letter sent to your home or an email from Augusta National.

Food and the stay are added to the members account.

He reckons it’s way over $1000 per time he has been. I don’t know if he paid it but he was wealthy enough to be a member at 5 top courses in the states.

He also interesting enough didn’t rate the course. He rated the experience and says the clubhouse and trophy room are something else.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I can't see the point in playing it unless it was set up as would be for The Masters, in which case it would beat me to death and I wouldn't enjoy it. So I don't want to play it.

(In any event I'm in the camp that thinks The Masters is an over-hyped average competition with ridiculous greens.)

D

Deleted Member 1156

He also interesting enough didn’t rate the course. He rated the experience and says the clubhouse and trophy room are something else.
I once got paired up with a guy in Spain who worked for Accushnet (Titleist parent company) and he got invited by his CEO. He said the same, awesome experience but he didn't rate it amongst the best courses he'd played.
Personally I'd love to play it, even if just to walk in the footsteps of legends.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
10th - World famous sweeping downhill par 4

11th - World famous left to right tee shot, right to left approach with a view all down the fairway of arguably the most famous par 3 in the world...

12th - Arguably the most famous par 3 in the world, and a brilliantly playable hole for anyone at 150 odd yards...

13th - One of the most iconic, famous short par 5s in the world...

15th - As above but a bit longer.

16th - Another iconic, world famous very playable par 3, home to possibly the greatest chip shot ever televised.

18th - Broken record... Yet another iconic hole, fade it off the bunkers and try and hit the green at the top of the hill.

Yes, I'd definitely pay the 40 Dollars.

Think most people would think of the 17th at Sawgrass

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
genuinely don't see the attraction. Pinehurst no.2 count me in, Pebble, Spyglass also. Some of the desert ones, heck I even like the WGC matchplay course in Austin, but Augusta has always left me cold. Without the stands, the crowds, it just is hacking it round in a field.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
genuinely don't see the attraction. Pinehurst no.2 count me in, Pebble, Spyglass also. Some of the desert ones, heck I even like the WGC matchplay course in Austin, but Augusta has always left me cold. Without the stands, the crowds, it just is hacking it round in a field.
If it’s a choice, can I go to spyglass aswell? ?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Really? There are things I'm not keen on, but can understand the attraction to some people. How can any golfer not understand why people would want to play there?

User20204

Visit site
Slightly off topic. Pádraig Harrington was live on Instagram today with Elidh Barbour today and said that Augusta have date on everything there.

Said they can move a hole 3 feet right and would add x to the scoring, move a tee box 8 feet and it would effect scoring. Also said if they wanted us to shoot 65 all day long they could but could also set up so no one would break par.

Fascinating stuff.