Audience member offended by Joe Lycett joke. Calls the police

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
remember the time when discussing Question Time was allowed on this forum…. Time changes and we adapt..

In the long list of things that won’t be remade now … Are you being Served?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Isn’t it the fault of Police ?
Survey out the other day saying Burglary wasn’t even looked into in most parts of the country.
But they can spare an officer to look into this.
That beggars belief imo.
The Police need a reset in the way they deal with things like this.

I will stress at the outset that I know neither the joke nor the context, but I have very strong views on this.

When I was a city centre DS responsible for allocating crime enquiries to my team you would not believe the crap that used to cross my desk. Seriously, the public will complain about anything. What is needed, or at least was back then, was a team of sergeants with a backbone to filter out that crap, in the knowledge that they are supported further up the chain of command.

I was lucky. I worked with a great team of skippers and had two DI’s who were as robust as they come. They knew if we took on every single complaint and investigated it to a conclusion our staff would have reached breaking point very, very quickly.

So we used to phone complainants up and tell them some of the more petty stuff simply wasn’t a police matter, and file the complaint at source without further investigation. A joke told in front of thousands of people which one wet lettuce was offended by? At face value, and I repeat I don’t know the joke or context, it would not have got past first base on my watch.

Unfortunately, other stations did not adopt the same approach. The sickness records amongst their staff were invariably horrific as they battled with crime queues littered with absolute rubbish because nobody had the backbone to tell the complainant “no”.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will stress at the outset that I know neither the joke nor the context, but I have very strong views on this.

When I was a city centre DS responsible for allocating crime enquiries to my team you would not believe the crap that used to cross my desk. Seriously, the public will complain about anything. What is needed, or at least was back then, was a team of sergeants with a backbone to filter out that crap, in the knowledge that they are supported further up the chain of command.

I was lucky. I worked with a great team of skippers and had two DI’s who were as robust as they come. They knew if we took on every single complaint and investigated it to a conclusion our staff would have reached breaking point very, very quickly.

So we used to phone complainants up and tell them some of the more petty stuff simply wasn’t a police matter, and file the complaint at source without further investigation. A joke told in front of thousands of people which one wet lettuce was offended by? At face value, and I repeat I don’t know the joke or context, it would not have got past first base on my watch.

Unfortunately, other stations did not adopt the same approach. The sickness records amongst their staff were invariably horrific as they battled with crime queues littered with absolute rubbish because nobody had the backbone to tell the complainant “no”.
You have to look at the mindset of the general public ( or some of them anyway)
Who the hell calls the cop’s because they don’t like a joke.
The big problem for me is these people are starting to set the agenda.
I don’t feel sorry for the Police in this case, as they really brought it on themselves.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
As times change, some humour doesn’t age well. Back in the mists of time I used to look forward to ‘Till death us do part.’ I started watching an episode a few months back but cringed at some of the comments, and switched it off. The lady that complained to the Police had the option to walk out.
The thing about TDUDP is that Johnny Speight was not having a go at people because of their race, colour, creed, etc. He was having a go at people like Alf, and showing how ludicrous they were. I remember Warren Mitchell telling a story on TV about speaking to someone who was commenting that Alf had it right. Mitchell said to him, "you don't get it, we're not having a go at them, we're having a go at people like YOU!".
Back on topic. I haven't heard the joke but I don't think Joe Lycett did this to get the publicity. He doesn't need it. As @Lord Tyrion said, he's a sharp guy who and has enough he can do. This is somebody who should, IMHO, be given a caution for wasting police time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Until this thread, I'd never heard of Joe Lycett so if it has a publicity stunt, it's worked - at least on me.
Google Joe Lycett changes name, very funny. He has taken on some big companies in the past via social media when they have trodden on the little guy and he has stepped in to help out. He is a sharp guy, whilst always remaining calm.

Carlwm

Visit site
Google Joe Lycett changes name, very funny. He has taken on some big companies in the past via social media when they have trodden on the little guy and he has stepped in to help out. He is a sharp guy, whilst always remaining calm.

I'll look him up. Cheers! (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll look him up. Cheers! (y)
Try to find a clip of him speaking, it can be about anything. One of the disarming things is that he speaks in a very calm, disarming fashion. When he is taking on the legal arm of these companies it helps to imagine him doing it in his voice.
The most famous Joe Lycett clip has to be that bit from Cats Does Countdown when he was talking about disputing the parking fine. That went viral and I think kick-started his fanbase.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Exactly this.
Just one thing, Billy. Your posts suggest you retired as a traffic man. Which means your days as a DS were quite some years ago?
You were lucky in your support of like minds from senior officers, but I suspect things have "improved worse " since then?

D

Deleted member 25172

I wouldn't be offended if the person calling the police was slapped with a fine for wasting the time of the police.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Exactly this.
Just one thing, Billy. Your posts suggest you retired as a traffic man. Which means your days as a DS were quite some years ago?
You were lucky in your support of like minds from senior officers, but I suspect things have "improved worse " since then?

Don't know if it was the same where Billy was, but down South, collisions always used to be investigated purely by traffic officers. At some point, someone looked at this & decreed that, as it wasn't far removed from a murder investigation, there should be some input/oversight from the detectives, and they were added to the investigation team.

And I suspect your last point is not wrong. :(

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't know if it was the same where Billy was, but down South, collisions always used to be investigated purely by traffic officers. At some point, someone looked at this & decreed that, as it wasn't far removed from a murder investigation, there should be some input/oversight from the detectives, and they were added to the investigation team.

And I suspect your last point is not wrong. :(
How many cars were murdered down South ?;)