Attacks in London

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Armed raids going on in Birmingham last night and this morning and arrests already made in connection with yesterday's events!

D

Deleted member 1740

Armed raids going on in Birmingham last night and this morning and arrests already made in connection with yesterday's events!

Report I've just heard on wireless is police haven't confirmed either way if it's linked.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Report I've just heard on wireless is police haven't confirmed either way if it's linked.

Our local news is reporting it as such, but even if it isn't and is a mechanism to round up and show some reaction against known sympathisers it's welcome.

D

Deleted member 16999

Our local news is reporting it as such, but even if it isn't and is a mechanism to round up and show some reaction against known sympathisers it's welcome.
Sky News is reporting that Midlands Police are directing all questions to the Met. Probably won't be the last raid we see over the next few days.

D

Deleted member 15344

The report I heard this morning was they raided the flat because that's where he lived and rented a car. They also said that he appeared to have acted alone and was fascinated by international terrorism.

Hopefully it's just the act of one messed up person as opposed to part of an organised cell.

See the EDL leader Robinson went straight there to shout about the dangers of Islam.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Daughter starts her arms training in July. it cannot come soon enough.
Totally agree with you thoughts socket, but as part of the selection process and elimination. Some of the bobbies on the course. When the reality kicked in, they just could not shoot people/ guns.

This is what I posted yesterday. Just to emphasise, some of these bobbies that joined up never dreamed they would be asked to carry firearms. Some that went through the selection process, as soon as they picked up a gun knew it was not for them. They just could not pull the trigger. The bobbies role has changed beyond recognition in the ten years my daughter has been on the beat. Carrying a firearm was not in the job role as being the norm ten years ago.
All traffic cops in south Yorks are being asked to carry firearms. Some don't want to. not all bobbies want to be armed.
I am sure there are serve ral ex servicemen on here that know what the differance is in saying you would pull a trigger and actually doing it when pointing your firearm at a person.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
No way can an organisation as corrupt as the police force have all officers carrying guns.

What an awful statement suggesting that the Police Force is corrupt. With an organisation as large as the police there is always going to be a few bad apples but please don't point a finger at the whole organisation.

IMO I wouldn't like to see all of our police armed. Some police units now only have Clock Pistols and the thought of someone having to use a pistol (a weapon of last resort) is worrying - forget your cowboy films.

As Fish posted, this is an incident that there is little protection against. Lets hope the authorities stay away from knee jerk reactions.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What an awful statement suggesting that the Police Force is corrupt. With an organisation as large as the police there is always going to be a few bad apples but please don't point a finger at the whole organisation.

IMO I wouldn't like to see all of our police armed. Some police units now only have Clock Pistols and the thought of someone having to use a pistol (a weapon of last resort) is worrying - forget your cowboy films.

As Fish posted, this is an incident that there is little protection against. Lets hope the authorities stay away from knee jerk reactions.
The problem with this sort of incident is the general public is the target .
Its impossible to pre empt what happened on the bridge.
The more we arm the police the more accidents will happen they are only human and it happens so fast it's a tough call.
I think there have been things in the past that still rankle the public Hillborough, Birmingham Six etc.
The forces involved did themselves no favours with the cover ups.
But that's in the past we need an answer to the lone wolf problem but sadly like in the USA I don't think there is an answer.
Arming all officers wouldn't stop the people on the bridge being killed.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't subscribe to the police being corrupt, yes there will always be a very small number who may be just in any walk of life. However rather than arming the police in total, I would rather see a greater number of police in all departments out and visible. Numbers have been cut back so much response times have increased with the resultant greater searching after the event.
You could argue we were lucky the perpetrator was stupid enough to target one of the most heavily armed and protected areas of the country, coupling that with the proximity of the poilice and security services hq's. You could also argue that it was done purely to frighten the public and harm innocent bystanders.
Whatever the reasons or outcome I am immensley proud of our emergency and security personel and forces. They do a stirling job, often in the face of some quite hostile and pc driven rubbish.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very sad and tragic for those that have suffered at the hands of this scumbag.

I'm on my up to St Thomas's now for an appointment for the missus. I am told that it's business as usual but I expect it may be difficult driving right up to it as access is bound to be restricted.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is no way that all officers will be armed. Firstly, there's a huge number that would refuse to carry.

Secondly, The standard of training for firearms officers in the UK is extraordinarily high. Most officers would struggle with the course. The failure rate is quite high. As is the whole reclassification and continual training. The police isn't equipped and never will be, to cope with that training resource.

So unless they dropped the standards, reduced the reclassification burden, it wouldn't happen.

Besides, there's sensible options like arming officers with tazer. Sure, it can go wrong, but so can any use of force. Like hitting someone with a telescopic baton.

Anyway, I get the impression that the attack was so quick yesterday it wouldnt have mattered what the poor officer had with him.

The way to deal with the terror threat and armed officers, is to be intelligence led as where you place them throughout the capital. They can't be everywhere, but can be strategically placed to respond.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The problem with this sort of incident is the general public is the target .
Its impossible to pre empt what happened on the bridge.
The more we arm the police the more accidents will happen they are only human and it happens so fast it's a tough call.
I think there have been things in the past that still rankle the public Hillborough, Birmingham Six etc.
The forces involved did themselves no favours with the cover ups.
But that's in the past we need an answer to the lone wolf problem but sadly like in the USA I don't think there is an answer.
Arming all officers wouldn't stop the people on the bridge being killed.

But that poor Policeman may just have been able to defend himself had he been armed. It's a good job the armed lads got there as quick as they did other wise it could have been worse. I'm for arming our lads and lasses who put their lives on the line for our protection. I don't care about possible consequences, they need to be able to protect us in whatever way they deem necessary.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wonder if the low life would have attacked the policeman if the policeman had been armed

I heard on TV that the policeman was already on the ground after stumbling before he was set upon.

As a bye the bye my journey into St Thomas' was easier than normal which was most unexpected. Roads were pretty quiet.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Unfortunately the days where UK society acted with respect to those in authority have longer gone. Ambulance crews, fire crews as well as the police are attacked for little or no reason. Police are attacked which attending domestic disturbances! Unarmed police are at a disadvantage when guns are easily available to those with a criminal/gang mentality.

Arming our police would simply recognise the reality of the job they do.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Brilliant isn't it? For those who are not able to open it.

BByCBit.img