Attacks in London

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have a read of the Mark Dugan case and read the experts opinions then come back to me. Thats just one case.

Look at the copper who assaulted the innocent Ian Tomlinson, who was later found to be unlawfully killed, then the officer was found not guilty of manslaughter?

Jean Charles de menezes?

And many more, It's all there to see, facts.

Whilst there are many good professional police officers up and down the country, there's many who will misuse there authority and for that reason alone they all shouldnt be armed.
So why do Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, France, Spain et al arm their Police. Are they somehow different people opr more civilised

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I did say that i did not know what the answer was. Do you think that all officers want to be armed ? Or are capable of shooting someone ?
I repeat to you what I have said to others. Look at the Police in other European Countries who are armed. Are our police somehow less capable than them of being armed. If you had a gun and someone was about to stab you would you defend yourself? I know what I would do.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I did say that i did not know what the answer was. Do you think that all officers want to be armed ? Or are capable of shooting someone ?

I don't think all bobbies want to be armed, and some are not capable of shooting someone.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I repeat to you what I have said to others. Look at the Police in other European Countries who are armed. Are our police somehow less capable than them of being armed. If you had a gun ans someone was about to stab you would you defend yourself? I know what I would do.

I also know what i believe i would do. But as i said not every officer would and not every officer wants to be armed.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think all bobbies want to be armed, and some are not capable of shooting someone
Tash. If Bobbies are armed then that's part of the job, as i have been saying most European countries arm their police and dont have problems with recruiting. If the poor Policeman who died today had been armed then their would probably have been a different outcome. We are not living in the days of John Peel anymore and need to face up to the reality of whats happening out there.

D

Deleted member 16999

The dead Policeman was not armed, if he was then he may still be alive. That would have been good enough reason.
Very disrespectful and poor timing by you in my opinion, you have no way of knowing if he may still be alive if he'd of been armed, a family has lost a dad and a husband tonight, show a bit more respect for their loss.

RIP PC Keith Palmer.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Very disrespectful and poor timing by you in my opinion, you have no way of knowing if he may still be alive if he'd of been armed, a family has lost a dad and a husband tonight, show a bit more respect for their loss.

RIP PC Keith Palmer.
Thats a pretty poor post. I am suggesting that if we changed our policy then Policemen would not be left in such vulnerable situations. To suggest that this is disrespectful to him is not necessary and wrong.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I don't think arming ALL police officers is the answer, a lot of them serving now wouldn't want to or even couldn't fire a weapon as they haven't been trained or selected on that criteria.

There are quite a lot of armed officers already in and around London and other major cities, what I'm a little surprised is that a post on a high profile area at the entrance to Westminster wasn't an armed officer anyway, although the diplomatic officers do carry and aren't far away, but I thought most officers wore stab vests as a matter of course?

With that said, whether officers are armed or not nothing could have prevented the car ploughing people down on the bridge or anywhere in a public area.

They now know this terrorist/murderers identity and it's being reported he was personally driven by Islamist ideology.

Our emergency services were quite superb and continue to excel and put others ahead of their own well being when reacting to these kind of attacks running head-on into danger zones to treat and assist the injured, it's just a shame they have to prove themselves because of the murderous acts of these warped minded and sick individuals.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If all police officers were armed almost all criminals would arm themselves too, there would be many more Deaths.

D

Deleted member 1740

So why do Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, France, Spain et al arm their Police. Are they somehow different people opr more civilised

Armed officers in those two countries didn't prevent the horror attacks at the Xmas market in Germany or the promenade attack in Nice did they?

I don't know, I've never lived in Any of those countries and noticed any corruption within their police force's so I can't possibly comment.

D

Deleted member 16999

Thats a pretty poor post. I am suggesting that if we changed our policy then Policemen would not be left in such vulnerable situations. To suggest that this is disrespectful to him is not necessary and wrong.
It's all about timing, 2 serving Police Officers on here answered your point and still you questioned them, how about the impact on them losing a colleague and possibly having to go to work today unarmed.
I have no issue with your opinion or a discussion about whether we do or do not arm all Police, but your point of view, imo, opinion was confrontational last night and not needed, emotions are running high and we should at times stand back and let the situation develop and let the emergency services do their job.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Don't know what the answer is but I certainly know that whenever I have been abroad, or am at the airport and there a a few police around carrying Glocks, I tend to feel a bit safer.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Don't know what the answer is but I certainly know that whenever I have been abroad, or am at the airport and there a a few police around carrying Glocks, I tend to feel a bit safer.

We already have armed officers in and around airports, also when you go out on the town at night in London you see as many officers with side arms as you do normal officers, you get to know the different markings on the their vehicles also to those that carry, and there's quite a few already.

What you don't do is a knee jerk reaction, it's almost like baying for blood, as I said earlier, a car mounting the pavement cannot be prevented by the carrying of weapons and that's where the majority of life was lost yesterday, just like a lorry ploughing into a market couldn't have been prevented.

Isolated one-man crusades by nutters like this are hard to prevent, they wouldn't stop doing what they thought they could get away with to cause mass panic and disruption/terror just because officers were armed, it hasn't stopped them in any of the other European countries so it wouldn't stop them over here.

D

Deleted member 16999

We already have armed officers in and around airports, also when you go out on the town at night in London you see as many officers with side arms as you do normal officers, you get to know the different markings on the their vehicles also to those that carry, and there's quite a few already.

What you don't do is a knee jerk reaction, it's almost like baying for blood, as I said earlier, a car mounting the pavement cannot be prevented by the carrying of weapons and that's where the majority of life was lost yesterday, just like a lorry ploughing into a market couldn't have been prevented.

Isolated one-man crusades by nutters like this are hard to prevent, they wouldn't stop doing what they thought they could get away with to cause mass panic and disruption/terror just because officers were armed, it hasn't stopped them in any of the other European countries so it wouldn't stop them over here.
:thup: well put Robin.