As if this game wasn’t hard enough!!

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I currently sit on top of my monthly order of merit. Top Four go to Woburn final with 5 games to go. How on earth do I focus on just playing my game and not worrying about my 5 closest rivals??? I’m putting a load of unnecessary pressure on an already fragile swing! Got to get over this if want to keep improving!!! Any useful tips would be appreciated!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Sometimes it is harder to be in front worrying about worst case scenarios than it is to be in fifth place knowing exactly what you need to do.
The pressure is there, it is reality, it is not going away.
What you are describing is the fear of the pressure.
There is fear of failure and disappointment. There is also fear of success.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer."

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/2-i-must-not-fear-fear-is-the-mind-killer-fear-is

For your next round, get into this frame of mind, "I am where I want to be, doing exactly what I want to be doing, there is nothing for me to fear."

"Play up and play the game."

Henry Newbolt - Wikipedia

I hope most sincerely that you will make the best of this situation and do well.

Last edited:

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Odds are stacked in your favour. You need 4 of your closest rivals to all play better than you over those comps to beat you which at amateur level is unlikely if you play reasonable.

Just go out and play your normal game, pressure is off in top spot compared with 5th who know they've got no margin for error.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do all the rounds count or just x number?

If they all count then steady no risk golf should get you over the line.

If x amount then the thought of one or two decent rounds should get the job done. Concentrate on your score and dont worry about the others till later.

Dannyc

Visit site
I’ve been in this situation before and spent my final round worrying what the lads chasing me were doing I played *** but luckily no one caught me
So I would say just forget them they got play better than they have before and they will have to worry bout u not playing well aswell as playing well themselves
It’s defo harder for them

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Do all the rounds count or just x number?

If they all count then steady no risk golf should get you over the line.

If x amount then the thought of one or two decent rounds should get the job done. Concentrate on your score and dont worry about the others till later.
Well every game counts towards the order of merit total and top 4 go through. I have a nice points buffer but it’s more about me not putting pressure on my game. My handicap is 16.5 so I try and play bogey golf and if I par or even nab a birdie that’s great. It’s trying to keep around the 34+ points really

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve been in this situation before and spent my final round worrying what the lads chasing me were doing I played *** but luckily no one caught me
So I would say just forget them they got play better than they have before and they will have to worry bout u not playing well aswell as playing well themselves
It’s defo harder for them
I hope they find it hard and have several very bad games!!!