big game ahead - finding the balance

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So big competition tomorrow where ideally, I'd like to score about 32 points upwards in Stableford as a minimum. Trying hard to find the balance of just relaxing and enjoying the game ie my life doesn't depend on it against the fact that I like to put pressure on my game as I feel I play better and I need to score well.

in the league, I'm 7th out of the 11 places who will qualify for the final and I'm surrounded by good players! So I need to make sure that I stay in the top 11.

I'll try and go there with a simple game plan, play each shot as it comes, safe play against going for pin, not getting too downhearted/angry if things don't go well etc. But i'll also go for it where I can say on the 2 shot stroke index holes.

Played last Sunday 33 points. and practised this week. So feel ready.

But how do you all cope with the pressure or finding the balance? how do you focus when playing in comps? What is your mind set when it comes to comps?

Thanks, any useful tips or advice appreciated.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Seriously, I think you are overthinking this. I remember you posted about this a while back. Just go out and play, focus on each shot at a time. You cannot force a good score, it either happens or it doesn't. That's golf.

Relax and enjoy!

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it's stableford you have a cushion of messing up a hole and then getting back on it either by playing the next hole normally or using your shots.

Think if you over think it you'll mess your head up.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seriously, I think you are overthinking this. I remember you posted about this a while back. Just go out and play, focus on each shot at a time. You cannot force a good score, it either happens or it doesn't. That's golf.

Relax and enjoy!
Yeah, this. First few competitions I played, I'd kick myself if I played a bad shot, try and hit a miracle shot next to make up for it and make it ten times worse. Result, crap scores. But lately I've been relaxing more, if I make an error I just focus on playing safe - get it back on the fairway and you're only one shot down, play for the bogey and move on. I've been putting much better scores together since I started thinking that way. So the 'take each shot as it comes' thing is huge for me.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys, opinions/advice appreciated!

I found all the saved comments from my previous similar post, but cant find a way to delete this post. I don't want to waste peoples time. Does anyone know how to delete a post?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just leave the thread running and let it descend into the usual argument 😂

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

Relax and enjoy!

Agree with this, relax and enjoy and add the score up at the end.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just give every shot your maximum concentration ..................... then totally switch off and enjoy your surroundings between shots.
If you feel you're scoring well DO NOT look at your score until the end of the game.
This, sort of, works for me.
Whatever happens, just enjoy it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just give every shot your maximum concentration ..................... then totally switch off and enjoy your surroundings between shots.
If you feel you're scoring well DO NOT look at your score until the end of the game.
This, sort of, works for me.
Whatever happens, just enjoy it.
This is another great tip that might be underestimated. I always used to add up my front nine before teeing off the tenth - for no real reason but curiosity I think. But if I then found out I had a better than expected front nine, I was suddenly dead keen to keep it going, and inevitably overthink everything and it would all go to pot. If you don't know what your score is, then you've no choice but to stay relaxed and just keep playing your golf the same way.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
So big competition tomorrow where ideally, I'd like to score about 32 points upwards in Stableford as a minimum. Trying hard to find the balance of just relaxing and enjoying the game ie my life doesn't depend on it against the fact that I like to put pressure on my game as I feel I play better and I need to score well.

in the league, I'm 7th out of the 11 places who will qualify for the final and I'm surrounded by good players! So I need to make sure that I stay in the top 11.

I'll try and go there with a simple game plan, play each shot as it comes, safe play against going for pin, not getting too downhearted/angry if things don't go well etc. But i'll also go for it where I can say on the 2 shot stroke index holes.

Played last Sunday 33 points. and practised this week. So feel ready.

But how do you all cope with the pressure or finding the balance? how do you focus when playing in comps? What is your mind set when it comes to comps?

Thanks, any useful tips or advice appreciated.

Mate we all go through this to some degree, we do think about it (some lots, some not much) and attach importance to it.
Some people are more relaxed and not as bothered, others like the intensity - just be yourself and be happy about it.
I too am a serial over-thinker - it's no use someone saying "just don't think". It's not something you are in control of.
Thoughts come to you whether you ask them to or not - but up to you to rationalise them.

Besides, I've played great, average and mediocre golf when deep-thinking and done exactly the same when having a completely relaxed game with a beer in my hand. How much you are thinking does not affect your golf. What you are thinking at the time of the shot does.

Tip wise
Back yourself, be confident and trust in the way you do things. Sounds like you've already proved you can do it, so do it.
Many times I've thought "well that's this round fkd" and then make a few birdies (gross or net) and I'm back on track.
Patience, self-forgiveness, more patience.
Intense focus on the right stuff... ask the right questions - "what has this ball got to do"?
Try your best to feel it rather than be techie, and then accept the outcome(s)!

If my focus is wrong I start to realise it as soon as my mood swings.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Simply do not take on silly shots. that should keep silly blanks at bay so if playing well then your target should be achievable.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Get hold of a copy of " golf is not a game of perfect" by Bob Rotella.
Lots of sound advice on how to mentally deal with golf. Helped me to make my best rounds when it matters.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
IMO Your golf game should be simple and be the same regardless of the level of competition

Stableford your goal is too score as many points as you can. I start each hole the same with looking at what gives me the best chance of scoring the most points. This generally is a 80% rule (if I cant execute the shot 80% of the time then don't take it on). Doesn't mean playing safe always just sensible.

Don't try to overcomplicate it and enjoy the experience

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Or let your partner tot it up & tell you how you were doing near the end. Recently shot a PB round my home course and seriously did not have a clue how well it was going until Slasher told me.
If I was playing against you I would have told you every hole.;)

I always know how I am going. If it is a stableford and I am over par I might take on a higher risk shot. If I am below handicap with a couple to play, I might play it safer.

Visit site
Try to keep the ball in play as much as possible, just play steady golf; which i freely admit is easier said than done. Also, I find that having a visual image of what i want to do, really helps me commit to the shot.

I find that if i make a point of taking an interest in how my playing partners are doing, acknowledging their good shots and so on, stops me thinking too much on what im doing. It also makes for a better atmosphere, and for me that makes the game a bit easier.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My start in a stableford or medal format is often poor but I am pretty darned good at matchplay. So for stableford or medal formats I currently am trying out playing bogey golf i.e.I play matchplay against the course, for about the first 6 or 7 holes. This means that say my first four holes are poor and I drop 4 shots holes. Now that would normally make me feel a bit down - but in bogey I might only be two down after four. Now I know in matchplay that I can easily get back from two down after four so that helps me stay positive. Thinking bogey score also helps me stop thinking shots dropped against par.

Either I am playing better or it is working for me. I don't know. But as a means of keeping me positive it seems to work.

D

Deleted member 15344

Agree with this, relax and enjoy and add the score up at the end.

Yep - it's a game with play for fun , there should be next to no pressure because it's not our living.

Tee up ball hit it , walk , hit it again then walk. No point over thinking it