Are you a golf snob?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

Are you someone that has to have the latest equipment, designer label clothing and only plays on top end courses? Or are you happy to tee it up anywhere in your budget polo shirt with 14 clubs bought ffrom the local charity shop?

Or somewhere in between these two extreme examples?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'd think most fall in the extremes (maybe a few more brand sluts on the forum :) ) I've played and enjoyed the £14 muni and hated the £130 championship course (& vice versa)

I couldn't afford to kit myself out with all the gear but I'd quite like to!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I reckon i am a mix of both of your examples! will play anywhere from manicured top 100 course to the local goat track, have expensive clothes and some cheap clothes, some of my clubs are the latest shiney "big name" versions, some are not!

I would consider myself in the middle then, or to put it another way, Normal.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Moi ? Courses yes, clubs not really, designer labels probably. Partners no, I will play with anyone (as long as they are a member of a decent club.:whistle:)

D

Deleted member 1147

Yes, but not for the reasons you've given.

I like to wear nice clothes, use good clubs and play on nice courses. But I don't only wear designer stuff, use the very newest clubs or play only expensive courses.

D

Deleted member 15344

Bit of both I guess - like playing great courses and like wearing good quality clothing etc

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play and buy clothing and clubs to suit my budget. If I can't afford the green fee I won't pay it, so maybe I'm an inbetweeny.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Again, probably a bit of both. I'll play anywhere so Long as the course is in decent nick and I'm not stood waiting on each tee, I like to get out on a top course also every now & then.
I like to use decent gear but I don't really look after it, most of my clubs are usually jammed into 2 dividers with the grooves caked in dirt.
Clothing.. Again, decent gear but I'm not the type who has his trousers ironed to perfection with shiney shoes & crease free shirts.

D

Deleted member 15344

Again, probably a bit of both. I'll play anywhere so Long as the course is in decent nick and I'm not stood waiting on each tee, I like to get out on a top course also every now & then.
I like to use decent gear but I don't really look after it, most of my clubs are usually jammed into 2 dividers with the grooves caked in dirt.
Clothing.. Again, decent gear but I'm not the type who has his trousers ironed to perfection with shiney shoes & crease free shirts.

I am :D

Prob born out of the military days :D

Everything is ironed and no creases - shoes get a good clean every week

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

You make a good side point. My clubs are a mixed bag (some were not bought new & irons are 15 yrs old 2nd hand) but I clean them after every round or practice session. So I guess that makes me a snob in that respect !

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I like to wear golf apparell as it has been designed with the golfer in mind. I like to wear clima-cool type shirts as I get too hot otherwise.
I don't need to have all the new equipment although I did change my bag last year for new shineys.
And I have no need to spend lots of money playing the most expensive courses - I tend to limit my green fees to less than £40

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am somewhere in the middle. I like branded golf clothes but begrudge paying some of the prices charged and so I buy last year's versions. Pretty much the same with golf clubs and balls. If I had the funds I guess I would buy the latest model when I was in the market to change something but I don't and so I opt for last year's version. Most recent is my new Cleveland Classic XL driver. Great club, got good reviews but was only £89 because it was a year old.

Part of me would like to be up to date with the latest of everything as I do like new gear but another part of me cannot/will not pay new release prices.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not in the slightest.

My clubs are good, but far from the most up-to-date (a mix of Ping, Mizuno and Yes stuff).

My trolley is an old Powakaddy that I got 2nd hand for £80.

My clothing is a mix of Dunlop and Pro Quip, but I also have some Ping, Taylor Made and Galvin Green tee shirts.

I like to wear good shoes though, but that's because I have bad feet.

I'll play with anyone, at any course, as long as they have good etiquette and are good company.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am a bit of both to be honest. I have some nice clothes and tend to buy the expensive gear when on sale so it fits within my modest budget (Glavin green for example) or father xmas brings it. Golf course wise not really that bothered as will begrudge paying mega bucks for a top class track as my ability would just embarrass me in front of all the good golfers :(

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I forgot to mention courses. In this regard I am probably the total opposite to a snob. I really to begrudge the very high fees that some places charge and if I were to pay them I would, in all likelihood, leave disappointed as I suspect that I would expect a level of service and experience at that price which few places could provide. I also think that some places charge too much even at around the £40 mark but think that it is the going rate as others locally charge it.

Give me a decent course with a green fee of around £30-£40 and I am more than happy. That to me is affordable and gives me a quality of course that I can enjoy at my level of golf. More importantly, don't try and fleece me before or after by charging huge amounts for breakfast or for a snack and a drink afterwards.

Don't get me wrong, I like the 3 or 4 high end courses that I have played by I have never paid 3 figures to play a round of golf nor do I think that I ever would.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Im a snob, at least to some degree based on the context others are posting, personally I prefer to see it as liking good quality, rather than being a brand snob :)

I use Orka irons for eg, not a household brand but top quality, I have a Scotty or 2, I have Galvin Green waterproofs (and insula tops), UA trousers etc etc. So I dont buy for the brand label but for what I think is decent quality gear (and not everyone will agree with me)

As for courses, love playing a "lower rated" course when its exceeds expectations but am also fortunate enough to play some of the top end courses (albeit when one of them doesnt feel special its more of a let down than playing a lower end course!) All about perception of quality and value imho