Are you a golf snob?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

the hammer

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hmm, i'll arrive clad in Boss, either of my h2no bags, with a fancy driver, latest pings , scotty putter etc.

I fit better into the gobsh##te category, than the snob category.:thup:

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
like anyone else i am something in between. have an affection for good courses, my clothing is always neat and tidy but i have worn a 20 euro sweater over an original lacoste polo. my equipment is top end but partly second hand and not the latest models. i usually spread lakeballs into the spontaneous vegetation

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I play with a driver that is nearly 8 years old and second hand irons so definitely not a snob in the equipment stakes. I play at a club attached to a municipal and rate a £16 for the day course in Scotland in my best 3 courses played so I'm not a course snob either (granted the other two were Druid's Glen and Turnberry :)). Clothing, like most I buy what I can afford and like to be reasonably turned out without having to have the latest of everything so pretty much middle of the road there too. Besides, a snob is not really someone who has nice things but someone who thinks that having them makes them superior in some way.

Absolutely

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I sometimes think that the "anti-snob" is just as bad/worse than the snob! The type of person who is exceptionally proud that they only use old/cheap equipment, thinks they are "proper golfers" because of it, and that everyone who buys new items is ridiculous and wasting their money. Each to their own for me. As long as you don't think that whatever it is makes you better than everyone else, then do as you like!

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Would I spend a hefty chunk on a green fee? Yes, but only if I really wanted to play the course, had the disposable to do so and wasn't playing with some loudmouth, tattooed, denim wearing, fag smoking, beer swilling, devil dug owning oik from the local council muni. ;)

Add bearded into that list, and you wouldn't like to play with me! :angry:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I sometimes think that the "anti-snob" is just as bad/worse than the snob! The type of person who is exceptionally proud that they only use old/cheap equipment, thinks they are "proper golfers" because of it, and that everyone who buys new items is ridiculous and wasting their money. Each to their own for me. As long as you don't think that whatever it is makes you better than everyone else, then do as you like!

Very good post there sir. Totally agree.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thing about snobs and other bumptious sorts, is that they tend not to know the meaning of humility - and in playing golf we understand the meaning of that word (or should do) and so should extend that humility beyond just playing the game.

Today's philosophical gem! Absolutely spot on! Another reason why I equate Golf to Horse-riding - just when you think you've got the hang of it the bleedin' game/thing bites you, occasionally literally!

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm somewhere inbetween. I like to look good on the course I would never ever tee it up in dirty shoes. I like to look as good as I can on the course so I tend to think about what I wear. I get my clothes ready the night before. I like my gear to be clean so it is cleaned after every round. To me it is part of the game. I am a snob in that I do not like scruffy golfers or golfers who show no respect for the game or the course we are playing. I like good surroundings and am old fashioned. I'm in my 50's so it is to be expected. I detest the new trainers that are passed as golf shoes, they are not golf shoes they are training shoes and need banning but they will not be so I have to live with them. I like a good standard of behaviour too. So inbetween for me I think.

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have nice clothes and latest clubs but I will play anywhere and with anyone. I spend my money on the latest stuff as I don't drink, take drugs, smoke or have children yet so I don't really spend my spare cash on anything else.

Richuk123

Head Pro
Visit site
As most the forum posters will tell you , if it doesn't have "Dunlop" On it, then I'm not interested :D :whistle:

Seriously though, I wouldn't class myself as a snob, just like to have the same brand throughout the bag, gives some consistency through the bag and looks neat and tidy. OCD it is then! :D

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately in deepest, darkest Yorkshire, there is an abundance of these "anti-snobs", who believe they deserve extra credit for using cheap or old clubs. Some people can be so anti-snobbish, that they look down on people who have decent gear, and in turn become snobbish.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately in deepest, darkest Yorkshire, there is an abundance of these "anti-snobs", who believe they deserve extra credit for using cheap or old clubs. Some people can be so anti-snobbish, that they look down on people who have decent gear, and in turn become snobbish.
I agree with this in all but the deepest darkest Yorkshire part. These types are everywhere. The latest Nike advert showed it off perfectly. I know well off, very well off golfers who play with what can only be described as a bag of scrap and other lads who live for their hobby and have the best kit they can afford. Each enjoy their hobby the same. It is about what you are comfortable with....aprt from dirty shoes and clubs. No excuses for that it is just lazyness.

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not in the slightest bit interested in my appearance as long as they don't kick me off the course! Clubs - like tools - buy the best you can afford, this doesnt mean they have to be brand new or big make just the clubs that do the best for you within budget. Courses - sorry but I'm not paying money to play in a field surrounded by jean wearing beer swilling shouty men.
Each to their own but I think unless you are mega rich £100 boss t shirts are fing ridiculous.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Some of the comments on here are very interesting. In this day and age, you will struggle to get on a good course for less than £40, especially down here in the south. I'm on a mission to play all of the top 100 so I accept that I'm going to have to dig deep to achieve it. Most of the courses in the list are a minimum of £75 a round and many well in excess of £100.

As for clothing, it is possible to look stylish and smart without spending a lot. Plenty of bargains to found online and in places like TKMaxx. Equipment wise, I have quality stuff but I tend not too change it very often. Current irons are over 2 years old and will stay in the bag for quite a while yet and I'm happy with my woods, wedges and putter(s).

So...am I a golf 'snob'? Yes when it comes to courses, no to everything else including playing partners.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
In the middle really. I've played some top courses and Lydd. I prefer to buy good clothes when they appear in the sales and buy decent equipment. I have been accused of "I knew you'd be the first to have it" when some gadget or new thing comes out.

I 'd play with anyone....... I've even played with Richart!! :ears:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have played with forum members aplenty so deffo not a golf snob

I have also taken a divot off the tee with driver on top100 courses and goat tracks so again not fussy.

I look ruff as a badger whether in Galvin green, Aquascutum or Dunlop so again not a snob.

I do however like decent clubs although i have wandered over to the dark side a few times thanks to ebay ;)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like nice stuff - so buy the best I can afford. Except trousers, where I buy what fits. Which happens to be Dunlop. So one of my Peter Millar polos costs the same as my entire trouser collection. I guess that puts me in the middle.

Courses - I'll play anywhere, as long as jacket and tie are compulsory. :D But really, it is mostly modest prices but nice to play a top course sometimes. But pockets aren't unlimited. Just needs to be good fun in good company.

Dave1980

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Course wise - I try to only play courses that are better than my home club, so guess that makes me a course snob!

It's always good to look and feel good on the course, but play with 10 yr old irons!